Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Not sure I get your point? I know Potter was lined up and would happily have seen him take over after the Cowden humping. The way things were panning out under JJ meant it was worth gambling on making the change sooner and the only candidate was Potter. Regardless of the planned succession, he was the only person we could afford.

I've never been convinced that he was the only option. Sure if we had the lowest budget and a small squad i would accept that, yet in fact we have the largest budget and squad in the league.

Potter taking over seemed to have always been the plan. However i had hoped the board wouldn't honour that agreement and would instead look elsewhere (ie outside the club), yet they stuck to the original plan and we've gone even more backwards than we had under Jefferies.

Tits up.

TBF if anyone said we'd get worse than what we were under Jefferies you'd be classed as a loony. Can't win.

Everyone except pars fans could see that the appointment of Potter as manager was the wrong one. Jeffries was dire so why give the job to his right hand man who was untested in professional football? He was an average under 20's coach and wasn't cut out to turn around the season to fight and grind out results to win the league against teams managed by guys like Duffy, Aitken, Campbell etc. He is clearly well out of his depth at the pars. As was always going to be the case, obviously, to those without black and white tinted specks on.

The excuse that Dunfermline couldn't afford to replace him with someone else is laughable, as now they will be spending another year in league one possibly going part-time and even if they do stay full-time there is no guarantee they will win the league as they will likely have a smaller and weaker squad than they do right now and key players will likely move on such as Buchannan.

Bringing in a proven manager of a higher stature would have given the pars a fantastic chance to win the league when Jeffries went. If they can't afford to bring in anyone else the pars have found their level?

Edited by Johnny Martins Willy

At under 20's level.

Expecting someone who overachieved at development level to come into professional football as an untested manager and lead a full-time team to a title is laughable.

Not disputing that, you claimed though twice in your post that he was average at U20 when he had infact done very well.

I never imagined that Potter would do as badly as he did. I used to work at the U20 games and was always impressed with how he set up the teams and instructed them throughout the game. His substitutions, tactics and lineups have all baffling though, a shame.

Hopefully Stranraer don't go up and Aitken fancies a shot at a full time club,is he out of contract?

Not disputing that, you claimed though twice in your post that he was average at U20 when he had infact done very well.

I never imagined that Potter would do as badly as he did. I used to work at the U20 games and was always impressed with how he set up the teams and instructed them throughout the game. His substitutions, tactics and lineups have all baffling though, a shame.

Hopefully Stranraer don't go up and Aitken fancies a shot at a full time club,is he out of contract?

Seems a little like our situation with Jimmy Boyle. He was highly rated as a youth coach and indeed many Airdrie fans were not at all upset when he made the step up. It was quickly clear though that he couldn't command the respect of the first team and looked completely lost most times. Signings like the utterly woeful Mick O'Byrne, and being fucking livid at every home match, are my lasting memories of Jimmy's time in charge.

The ship was only righted (given our woeful budget) when an experienced manager took the helm - that's what Dunfy need - as long as it's not Bollan.

Edited by Pesadilla

I've never been convinced that he was the only option.

The excuse that Dunfermline couldn't afford to replace him with someone else is laughable,

I think the board/club had been very open about the budgets. Replacing old JJ with someone from outwith the club would have meant spending money we don't have. Potter has to the end of the season. If results continue as they are then I've no doubt we'll see a more experienced guy take over.

Also, as VT says, he seems to have fallen into that trap of having 'a vision', rather than just being a manager and doing what was needed to get the best out of the team.

The more accurate conclusion being that the amusingly large set of "highly rated" youth coaches in Scottish football are almost never credible managers: they're kept in the running for managerial posts due to their performance having never been held to any credible scrutiny at youth levels, and having the usual clutch of ex-pro mates willing to feed puffer pieces for them in the tabloids on a daily basis.

An entirely predictable outcome for anyone who has witnessed one of these clowns trying to implement their 'footballing philosophy' at a serious level of competition.

Agree totally, our philosophy was doomed to failure from the start. Playing several young players with zero experience, strength or tactical awareness against experienced pros in the ranks of stranraer, forfar and morton was a huge error and we are still trying it.

It got laughed at for suggesting we should sign someone like Dods or even a Swankie. Instead we keep bringing in more youngsters and time after time we lost the same type of goals at set pieces or physical battles.

After doing reasonably well for six months opponents simply realised that all you had to do was bully us a little or overrun our midfield and we folded every time. Potter and McCann had a year or longer to work on set pieces and the basics but if anything it got worse. You could literally call it every week. Is it a corner or free kick....9/10 it was.

Until we clear out 90% of them and bring in experience we will keep failing.

It's not a question of finance as Forfar, Stranraer and others are doing it with sub 1000 crowds.

What's happened since admin is nothing short of a total waste of money and the fans deserve better. Totally let down on the pitch due to quite frankly a board who couldn't see objectively what was happening and were too sympathetic towards JJ because he stated during admin.

We lost every crucial game due to bad individual and tactical errors. Cowden game was his last chance, same with Potter and McCann.

Plenty fans say, you just don't get it we don't have money. Well how can the teams above us do it on much less?

You comr across as a bitter arrogant wee arsehole who thinks we're some sort of big club with such Sevco esque comments.

That's ok, love you too :) We're a significantly bigger club than Ayr and most others in this division that's a fact,there is not any dispute in that , people keep on taking their own position and applying it to us as if we're similar, we aren't. Compared to Man U or Real Madrid or whoever were both obsolete non-entities, compared to each other tho and we're a fair bit apart. it's why our failure is so notable and laughable.

Agree totally, our philosophy was doomed to failure from the start. Playing several young players with zero experience, strength or tactical awareness against experienced pros in the ranks of stranraer, forfar and morton was a huge error and we are still trying it.

It got laughed at for suggesting we should sign someone like Dods or even a Swankie. Instead we keep bringing in more youngsters and time after time we lost the same type of goals at set pieces or physical battles.

After doing reasonably well for six months opponents simply realised that all you had to do was bully us a little or overrun our midfield and we folded every time. Potter and McCann had a year or longer to work on set pieces and the basics but if anything it got worse. You could literally call it every week. Is it a corner or free kick....9/10 it was.

Until we clear out 90% of them and bring in experience we will keep failing.

It's not a question of finance as Forfar, Stranraer and others are doing it with sub 1000 crowds.

What's happened since admin is nothing short of a total waste of money and the fans deserve better. Totally let down on the pitch due to quite frankly a board who couldn't see objectively what was happening and were too sympathetic towards JJ because he stated during admin.

We lost every crucial game due to bad individual and tactical errors. Cowden game was his last chance, same with Potter and McCann.

Plenty fans say, you just don't get it we don't have money. Well how can the teams above us do it on much less?

And you're still wrong about signing a guy like Dods. Do you forget that last season the team coped just fine and finished second? No one was greeting out moronic cliched Billy Dodds levels of shite about strength and tactical awareness and experience (which the team had plenty of anyway) then. The team playes well, scoring loada until March last year. It wasn't really a case of teams 'figuring us out'; it was just performancea drastically dropped. Even then we still won games. No doubt we shat it big time in the playoff final, but the win over Stranraer at East End in the semi was a good performance and although it was shite, we matched Cowden at Central Park.

f**k knows what's happened this season though. We've just been pish.

Also teams being better than us on less money is simply their manager getting more out of them. Spending more money does not guarantee success.

You come across aa a petulant bad loser who can't accept that we've just been shite.

That's ok, love you too :) We're a significantly bigger club than Ayr and most others in this division that's a fact,there is not any dispute in that , people keep on taking their own position and applying it to us as if we're similar, we aren't. Compared to Man U or Real Madrid or whoever were both obsolete non-entities, compared to each other tho and we're a fair bit apart. it's why our failure is so notable and laughable.

Why? Because we won a couple of cups and played in Europe nearly 50 years ago? Or is it because we cheated our way to 4th place, 3 cup finals and a couple of UEFA cup games? Or is it simply because at this moment in time we have higher attendances?

I can accept it just not that we are not getting anything like value for money.

Quite happy if we were playing in front of a man and his dog but we aren't, we are playing in front of a largish crowd and also have the centenary fund.

We are still making the same basic errors that we made a coupe of seasons back. Signing big physical defenders would fix some of the issues. I fail too see how this is moronic. Especially when they haven't even conceded a goal against us this season.

I thought the official line was that the club would use up reserves this year to remain FT but couldn't continue this next year in this league. Has this changed?

That has never being the official line.

We are using some (but not all) of our banked cash to support a large squad and youth set-up, that was based on season-ticket and match day sales that we have comfortably exceeded so far, there are cut-backs that can be made, and more banked cash available before pt becomes a requirement, that would probably require a drop-off in income to force that as well.(which is inevitable should we remain in this division for too long)

Why? Because we won a couple of cups and played in Europe nearly 50 years ago? Or is it because we cheated our way to 4th place, 3 cup finals and a couple of UEFA cup games? Or is it simply because at this moment in time we have higher attendances?

Winning more and having significantly higher attendances doesn't make you a bigger club? What the hell does then?

If we're the same size as Ayr then we're also the same size as Dundee United, but I doubt you'll be arguing that anytime soon.