Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Is there a chance you might be letting Lang go? Possibly 2+2 = 5 but he's now further down the pecking order, we desperately need defenders and we were in for him last summer.

I don't think so. Crawford mentioned a new formation in his interview today which could involve 3 centre halfs, He'll be very much involved if so.

Also, call me old fashioned but he's been given the number 6 jersey for the season which indicates to me he's part of Stevie's plans.

I'd imagine Watson and Murray are the two starters if it's two centre halfs, but if it's 3 Lang/Martin/Mayo can all fight it out. Martin can certainly cover full back and is probably better there, Lang has done a bit there before I think and according to Mayo's welcome on the site he's played full back before.

1 minute ago, JFPar said:

I don't think so. Crawford mentioned a new formation in his interview today which could involve 3 centre halfs, He'll be very much involved if so.

Also, call me old fashioned but he's been given the number 6 jersey for the season which indicates to me he's part of Stevie's plans.

I'd imagine Watson and Murray are the two starters if it's two centre halfs, but if it's 3 Lang/Martin/Mayo can all fight it out. Martin can certainly cover full back and is probably better there, Lang has done a bit there before I think and according to Mayo's welcome on the site he's played full back before.

Did he?  He said a certain formation IIRC,  but that doesn’t necessarily mean a dramatic change from the 4-5-1/4-4-2 variations we used for 90% of last season.

I really don’t think a back 3 would work for us.   Wingback is not Martin’s game and tbh I don’t think it’s ideal for comrie either.   We only went with 3 center backs last year when we were playing very defensively.  I can’t see it working as a main formation.

Mayo has a very good reputation. Think this has been an offer we can't refuse.

Some excellent loan signings added to the existing good permanent signings. Squad looks shit hot. I would like a target man striker option still, if possible.

Edited by Chubbychops

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Shades of Ashcroft, Devine and Durnan with the talk of a back 3 emoji23.pngget it in the bin rapid.

Don't! Just don't!

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Mayo has a very good reputation. Think this has been an offer we can't refuse.

Some excellent loan signings added to the existing good permanent signings. Squad looks shit hot. I would like a target man striker option still, if possible.

I'd rather we didn't sign someone that encourages players to smash aimless, pointless long balls up the pitch.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd rather we didn't sign someone that encourages players to smash aimless, pointless long balls up the pitch.

I see what you mean but I think we currently have two wee fast strikers and a different option will be handy in games where we are stuggling to in behind the defences with pace. 

I would class Nisbet as a target striker in terms of an ability of playing with his back to goal and holding up play. It doesn't have to be a 6,4 guy who just wins a lot of headers. Might use Lewis McCann in that type of role.

Edited by Chubbychops

I see what you mean but I think we currently have two wee fast strikers and a different option will be handy in games where we are stuggling to in behind the defences with pace. 
I would class Nesbit as a target striker in terms of an ability of playing with his back to goal and holding up play. It doesn't have to be a 6,4 guy who just wins a lot of headers. Might use Lewis McCann in that type of role.
McManus is deceptively taller than what he looks, owes that to his running style IMO.

I think McManus certainly can do a job when things are going against us and he just has long punts to work with,  he is pretty good at hold up play and often got us further up the pitch by forcing defenders to put the ball out or get us free kicks by diving forcing defenders to foul him.

Edited by parsforlife

Matty Todd has joined Brechin.
None of the youngsters are up to much apart from mccann from what I've seen but hopefully then can develop.
Aye when he's not played out wide where he's wasted.

I really don't see the point in Mayo unless we're going for a 3 5 2 or someone else is on the way out but that makes no sense. Murray is club captain and Watson just joined. If Lang isn't fancied, f**k we doing signing him?!

I think the Mayo signing was needed. 

If Watson and Murray are first choice and Martin is first choice left back we only had Lang. We needed a 4th centre half. Bragg is the only other recognised centre half and he couldn’t get in Kelty Hearts starting 11. 

Edited by obiwanyouknowme

If you're not a DAFC season ticket holder that sounds a good deal, puts a little money East Fife's way too. Although if you're holding off buying a season ticket this is the start of getting value back on it, as much as not being able to attend can offer! Anyone who digs up the "friendlies are a waste of time attending" chat hasn't been hurting enough not seeing the team play for six months. Obviously.

The Pars play East Fife in a preseason friendly at Bayview kick off 2pm tomorrow.
EFTV streaming the whole game live for 3 GBP
If anyone interested check www.eastfifefc.info for details.

If Watson and Murray are first choice and Martin is first choice left back we only had Lang. We needed a 4th centre half. Bragg is the only other recognised centre half and he couldn’t get in Kelty Hearts starting 11. 
I'm not so sure. 3 centre halves with Martin as extra cover is fine for me. Saying that, we'd no doubt get all 3 injured at some point. It'll also stop a rival getting the benefit of him.

We certainly have a beefed up look to the defence but you also have to consider the fact that we are going to lose players due to self isolating and positive tests this season. We need a big capaable squad, and not overly relying on young guys who are not good enough.

Think we are seeing the German cash come in handy. Craw is buzzing in his interview about the squad. Canny believe his luck.

34 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
52 minutes ago, obiwanyouknowme said:

I'm not so sure. 3 centre halves with Martin as extra cover is fine for me. Saying that, we'd no doubt get all 3 injured at some point. It'll also stop a rival getting the benefit of him.

If you start with Watson and Murray and 1 gets injured or suspended and you then pull Martin in that would leave Edwards at left back and I’m no that keen from what I have seen. I’d rather keep Lewis there and use Mayo who has championship experience or Lang who is a natural cb, alternatively if Martin gets injured we can play Murray there

37 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

We certainly have a beefed up look to the defence but you also have to consider the fact that we are going to lose players due to self isolating and positive tests this season. We need a big capaable squad, and not overly relying on young guys who are not good enough.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The self isolation issue is a good point.

Another thing to consider is that Crawford probably sees Murray more as a midfielder than a defender.

I’m not sure if either of these add up tbh.  If Murray is being considered a midfielder then we are overloaded at CM instead of CB.  If players needing to self-isolate is the concern then that just makes the lack of creative players worse.