Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Guest Axle Grease
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Alan Stubbs won a cup, but I don't see anyone putting his name forward.

He's already ruled himself out. 

Guest Axle Grease
52 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What's he done so badly that suggests he'd be terrible? 

See this is what I don't understand, fans would fall over themselves to appoint Robertson and McGlynn, both of whom are failed Hearts managers. Both of whom spent a good bit of time out of management and came back better for it. 

And yet it's going to be the case that Craig Levein is definitely going to be a failure? Gies piece. Wish we'd appointed him rather than Kenny. 

You obviously know the Scottish game inside out. Pity some our own supporters don't. 

Guest Axle Grease
5 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Had enough of watching shite football under Craw. Don't want Avril.

Avril, Avril, who the f**k is Avril 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

What has he done in management in the last decade to suggest he'd be a good manager for us?

I'd prefer not appointing him but he's massively experienced. While rarely successful, he's also rarely a complete failure.

On the flip side, what's to suggest that Stewart Petrie is better placed to be successful at Dunfermline than Craig Levein?

Guest Axle Grease
5 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I'd prefer not appointing him but he's massively experienced. While rarely successful, he's also rarely a complete failure.

On the flip side, what's to suggest that Stewart Petrie is better placed to be successful at Dunfermline than Craig Levein?

Nothing. Petrie is a Pars legend, but nothing gives a manager an edge more than experience. 

Levein is the man for us. 

28 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

He was a complete failure at Scotland and was a failure at Hearts when he was removed from his post.

I think Petrie is very much on an upward trajectory whereas Levein was on a very steep downward trajectory and now has no trajectory.

Petrie is a fresh, forward thinking manager. Levein is a tired, dull manager who is seen as out of touch and very much a spent force with nothing original to offer and who comes across as someone who the game has passed by, whether that is fair or not.

21 minutes ago, Axle Grease said:

Nothing. Petrie is a Pars legend, but nothing gives a manager an edge more than experience. 

Levein is the man for us. 

This routine is boring. A very poor bit. 

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He was a complete failure at Scotland and was a failure at Hearts when he was removed from his post.

I think Petrie is very much on an upward trajectory whereas Levein was on a very steep downward trajectory and now has no trajectory.

Petrie is a fresh, forward thinking manager. Levein is a tired, dull manager who is seen as out of touch 

So you say. 

At the time of him leaving Hearts he was indeed doing badly, when he became DoF in 2014 though he helped Neilson win a championship with Rangers and Hibs in the league does he not? With Hearts absolutely scooshing the league, don't get me wrong, it might've been down to Neilson being a fantastic manager but no one seems to say that either. 

Two season finishing top 6 isn't fantastic but likewise, isn't so horrendous for the scathing criticism you seem to be giving. Consider the cv's of Robertson and McGlynn before there appointments at Raith and Inverness, they're absolutely no more impressive. 

He was a failure of Scotland, no less so than anyone else since Craig Brown, he was very defensive with Scotland, as is Steve Clarke. As was Walter Smith... Its almost like having a team with a gubbins defence and a shite attack means shoring up the defence is the way to go. 

It is worth remembering that he got the Scotland job, and was the popular choice for very good reason, he'd done a fantastic job at Dundee Utd, turning them around from a team in relegation trouble (with us, while we appointed Kenny) restructuring there youth and making them a very attractive side to watch. 

Like it or lump it we're very near the bottom of the pile with regards to full time managerial positions, our options are limited to either someone utterly new and making there first steps in management(McIntyre, Potter Crawford) someone coming up from a part time position who's done well with a team with less resources (Kenny) or a manager who's previously managed full time, and if that's the case the reason they'll be out the job is because they'll have been shite at there last position (Jeffries, AJ)

Neither are guaranteed success, all have there drawbacks, but if you're going to appoint a manager who's failed, then failing to get Scotland into a major tournament isn't the worst crime for a manager. 

Edited by Grant228

Actually he did worse than most Scotland managers. We aren't looking for a director of football. 

He did do well at Dundee United, but that was well over a decade ago. He had Hearts going down (and they still went down when was punted to DoF again).

Perception is a big thing as well. I can't see many of our fans welcoming the appointment if it ever happened. It reeks of the Davie Hay appointment. Many of the arguments you've put forward for Levein could have been applied to Hay incidentally.

I don't think Levein is even a consideration here though, thankfully!

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Actually he did worse than most Scotland managers. We aren't looking for a director of football. 

He did do well at Dundee United, but that was well over a decade ago. He had Hearts going down (and they still went down when was punted to DoF again).

Perception is a big thing as well. I can't see many of our fans welcoming the appointment if it ever happened. It reeks of the Davie Hay appointment. Many of the arguments you've put forward for Levein could have been applied to Hay incidentally.

I don't think Levein is even a consideration here though, thankfully!

He didn't do worst than most Scotland managers, a competent referee against the Czech Republic and we're finishing above them. It was the same average failure that we've had for most of the past 20 years. 

Perception isn't a big thing at the start, appointing a good manager is. If Levein has us up challenging near the top that perception will quickly change. Likewise if we appoint Petrie and he has us in relegation bother then perceptions of him will very quickly change. 

The arguments for Hay could also have been made about McGlynn and Robertson... Iain McCall was out of football for how long before Ayr brought him in? Dick Campbell had relegated Forfar before Arbroath appointed him. Those are all managers who Dunfermline fans have at some point or another recently praised, with them being wished for as manager. All with failings before there most recent appointment. 

If Levein has applied, he'll be considered, because he'd be a pretty good appointment. 

And again, it's a failure of being the national team manager FFS. We're a midtable championship club, anyone we appoint is going to be a risk in one way or another. 

Edited by Grant228

50 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think Petrie is very much on an upward trajectory whereas Levein was on a very steep downward trajectory

I think this is the main point for me.

For or a team like us Levein certainly has the pedigree and the ability to get results.

What I question is what kind of desire he has to be a success with us after all the bigger jobs he's had over the years. He's done with Hearts now, been down in England with Leicester and been Scotland manager.  He's a fuckin Rovers fan, so no sentimental attachment either.  What is going to get him out of bed in the morning and give him the desire to make Pars a success? Not saying that will be the case, but it's a concern to me.

Petrie on the other hand is a guy who has had a wee club like Montrose punching above their weight for half a decade. Done a fantastic job and now surely must be ready to see if he can do it a bigger club and see far he can go in the football management business. I think Petrie has shown he has an aptitude for football management and will come with a bit more desire to do well in the job.

Edited by Chubbychops

He's an absolute rotter. Would be a wholly unpopular choice. 

His opinion on certain things are akin to right-wing BritNats on Twitter.

Hasn't done anything decent since his Dundee United days.

Can we move on from him please? He won't even want it anyway. 

1 hour ago, Axle Grease said:

He's already ruled himself out. 

Where has this been said? Just so I can confirm and give myself some peace of mind. 

23 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

We've not been at Pitreavie since administration days. 

I did a survey at Pitreavie when Jeffries was the boss and the team were still training there, he left in 2014

23 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I’m not sure how firm to rosyth plans are,  any articles I’ve seen seem more aimed at the rosyth FC angle with our potential academy second so possibly just speculation.

Guess I would want to trust the process.  I would think identifying and building a dedicated training base seems like something the Germans would want to do going by their limited sound bites, and something that they really need regular visits to do properly, something just about  impossible ATM.

Wilson Way needs a lot of work to upgrade, from what I've heard Lidl are fucking about with the terms for the old ground and the council are playing hardball.

From what I understand Lidl have to put money into developing Wilson Way and they are trying to renage on the promise.

Edited by Zen Archer Esq.

He certainly wouldn't be my first choice. He's definitely not the fashionable choice but it's undeniable that he still has something to offer a football club.

The fact he's a boyhood Raith supporter means absolutely nothing to anyone in the game professionally.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

He didn't do worst than most Scotland managers, a competent referee against the Czech Republic and we're finishing above them. It was the same average failure that we've had for most of the past 20 years. 

Perception isn't a big thing at the start, appointing a good manager is. If Levein has us up challenging near the top that perception will quickly change. Likewise if we appoint Petrie and he has us in relegation bother then perceptions of him will very quickly change. 

The arguments for Hay could also have been made about McGlynn and Robertson... Iain McCall was out of football for how long before Ayr brought him in? Dick Campbell had relegated Forfar before Arbroath appointed him. Those are all managers who Dunfermline fans have at some point or another recently praised, with them being wished for as manager. All with failings before there most recent appointment. 

If Levein has applied, he'll be considered, because he'd be a pretty good appointment. 

And again, it's a failure of being the national team manager FFS. We're a midtable championship club, anyone we appoint is going to be a risk in one way or another. 

He did do worse than most Scotland managers. 

Have to disagree about perception. I think it definitely is a thing, fair or not. That can be turned around like you say though.

Levein was absolutely terrible at Hearts last time. Hearts fans were wanting him out for ages. He was given a substantial sum to sign players and made some multiple poor signings. He went through a crazy number of players last time at Hearts, something Hearts fans still criticise him for.

He's a stubborn tit as well who can't admit fault or if he has got something wrong.

4 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Yeah Jeffries took over in 2012. We went into admin 2013

Just looked up some details, it was Feb/Mar 2014 I saw Jeffries there, I remember talking to him about Hearts getting reamed 7-0 by Celtic the year before.

5 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

The fact he's a boyhood Raith supporters means absolutely nothing to anyone in the game professionally.

Not sure if this a response is to my post. If you are, your response is taking my point out of context.

I was questioning where his desire for the Pars job was coming from,  as he has been there and done it in terms of previous jobs. The Rovers comment was a side comment about sentiment not even being a factor in motivating him, because we're not his boyhood team. Not the fact he's a Rovers fan and doesn't like the Pars.

Guest Axle Grease
3 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

You trying to influence MacBookie odds neebur?  Their odds seems to change with every Pie & Bovril suggestion.

That's cotrect. You've sussed it. 

Levein can get to Falkirk, I'm fucking about. Scumy journos lap this shit up.