Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Ryan Thomson gets some harsh treatment.

Scoring ratio isn't bad for a forward never mind a midfielder.

Would like to see him get a run in midfield but seems like that will never happen.

Ryan Thomson gets some harsh treatment.

Scoring ratio isn't bad for a forward never mind a midfielder.

Would like to see him get a run in midfield but seems like that will never happen.

Scoring ratio isn't bad, well apart from his goals per minute ratio meaning he takes more more than 4 games to grab a goal, significantly worse than everyone else who has played up front, apart from faiss, who still has a better record.

He has a year to prove himself, and is clearly a better midfielder than forward, but he has strong competition in that position.

Is there anything more tedious about pre-season than friendlies? Maybe the new kit in fairness.

If it's not black shorts and red socks than it can GTF. Not a Pars kit unless it's just that.

Is there anything more tedious about pre-season than friendlies? Maybe the new kit in fairness.

Pre-season is tedious , seeing new signings is ok but everything else is just methadone to get us through until the we can get our dealer gets out of jail . Ooh a slightly different variation of black and white stripes, ooh a glorified training session I might go watch, I wonder who that player in the pre-season photos is , oh wait it's just one of the guys from last season with a haircut. PISH.

#banpreseason

At least bryne has the a bit of skill and potential to improve . Thomson is exactly the same player as he was 4 years ago.

Byrne hasn't improved at all, unless he miraculously improves over the next season he'll be lucky to be a third division footballer.

Tidy footballer who is incapable of shooting, passing forward and he doesn't even recycle possession that well.

Byrne hasn't improved at all, unless he miraculously improves over the next season he'll be lucky to be a third division footballer.

Tidy footballer who is incapable of shooting, passing forward and he doesn't even recycle possession that well.

Harsh but fair.

Byrne, Williamson and Martin are three young guys who have attributes that could be added to but generally feel that most of the youngsters are absolutely hopeless and totally overrated even at this level.

I wonder if we should have scrapped the youth system when we had the chance and kept the more experienced players in defence?

If jimmy Nicol can turn around a team of players the same age in a few months and JJ can't improve ours in two years then questions need asked.

Oh, the precious youngsters. You can't say that. Tears etc.

You've either got people backing this young team to the brim saying how great they are or the complete opposite you've got people panning them at every opportunity, slating them as shitebags not fit to wear the shirt.

As is the case with most things in life, the reality is in the middle. They got to the youth cup final last year and were pretty narrowly beaten by a Celtic team with far more resources than us, also gave Sevco a good game on the last day of the league season.

Another point is that in an ideal world you would be brooding youngsters alongside professionals with a little bit more about them than our senior pro's (the majority of whom are about 22,23 themselves). We've not got that luxury, unfortunately.

That being said, they aren't exempt from criticism and this league seems like it can be a pretty steep learning curve. JJ doesn't get this transfer window right and it could be curtains as far as a title challenge goes.

Edited by Rob1885

I reckon Lewis Martin will be a very, very good defender, seen him breaking through in the u20s and he is a fantastically intelligent defender, Williamson has also improved defensively over the past few months, he'll come good, very good.

Outwith that I'm not sure, I think Smith could be but he needs an extended run in the side, injuries ruined his season.

Millen, Young, Drummond and Byrne? Really not to sure, they all have very good aspects to there game but likewise it seems like they weaknesses which could stop them from carrying on.

Last season was a honeymoon period for the younger players. It truly matters this season that they perform.

We lost far too many stupid goals and were lucky to win as much games as we did. No way can we accept anything other than finishing 1st this season, it has to happen.

I reckon Lewis Martin will be a very, very good defender, seen him breaking through in the u20s and he is a fantastically intelligent defender, Williamson has also improved defensively over the past few months, he'll come good, very good.

Outwith that I'm not sure, I think Smith could be but he needs an extended run in the side, injuries ruined his season.

Millen, Young, Drummond and Byrne? Really not to sure, they all have very good aspects to there game but likewise it seems like they weaknesses which could stop them from carrying on.

Lewis Martin definitely looks the best of them. We've all seen young players who looked really good early in their careers drift away to nothing, and I really hope this doesn't happen with him, because on eary showings he really does look a player who could go on to play at a more than decent level. I'm not convinced yet by Williamson though. If he's going to make it and play regularly above second division level, he either has to be able to play at full-back without someone to hold his hand, or find a position that suits him better. I haven't seen improvement in him defensively in recent months, and in any first team games when he's had much defending to do he's looked lost. I haven't seen any U20 games since December though (and only 3 over the whole season), so fair enough if you've seen a change when he's played in those games.

I agree on the others - maybe one or two of them wil go on to be OK players, but hard to say at the moment. Shaun Byrne does still show touches of genuine ability, but if the game gets physical he aways struggles to cope. I always get the feeling he'd do much better with an experienced, unspectacular grafter aongside him but that just isn't something we've had this year at all. I'm thinking of the difference in Nicky Phinn, the season he had Stephen Glass beside him regularly and the following one where he didn't.

It is a big season coming up for them though. They've now had a year of being around the first team, and although some folk didn't think allowances should be made for so many of them coming in around the same time, I don't agree, and thought it was right that they were given a bit more leeway in terms of performances than they otherwise might have been. That won't really be valid this year though, and they have to be able to show the consistency required to compete at the top end of the league.

Edited by Socks