Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Unfortunately Jim Jefferies is too stubborn to see that our league form isn't good enough and will probably persist with the same players turning in either shit or anonymous displays. Until he realises that what has been served up so far is unacceptable then it won't be Falkirk and Raith next season we'll be playing it will be Montrose and East Stirlingshire.

The entire philosophy of trying to bring through young players isn't working - why are they all unable to follow instructions when we are a full time team.

Can't argue with a lot of what you've said but I really don't agree with this. Several of our young team have been selected for their respective national squad get-togethers & Lewis Martin played for the U-19s last week. They must be doing something right.

I'm happy to give the young guys the benefit of the doubt for the first quarter. Hopefully guys like Stirling, Buchanan & Moffat will complement them & hopefully the results will improve.

I know you mentioned form this calendar year but it's still really early days in this current season. We've chopped & changed the squad bringing in new players & firing in a couple of our own younger guys, asking guys like Williamson, Spence etc to become first team regulars, so I tend not to worry too much about the tail end of last seasons' form, not forgetting that we were playing a lot of those games without a recognised striker.

I wasn't at Forfar on Saturday, but went to the 2-4 game last season. We could've lost that one when they went 2-1 up (JJ brought Hubby on & changed the game) but eventually won 4-2. There were a lot of games like that last season where both teams were evenly matched but we sneaked it. Quite why some people seem to think we were ever going to walk this league is a mystery to me. Obviously "full-time" & "huge budget" keep being mentioned but as a Morton poster said somewhere else, our budget will be similar to theirs.

My point after all this rambling is that I am fairly certain that we can turn this relatively poor start around, hopefully starting on Saturday. Maybe I'm being optimistic but that's just how I am.

Edited by da_no_1

I feel for Dunfermline fans. Any Morton fan can read some of the posts above and immediately empathise. We are both clubs punching below our weight and Morton fans also know what it is like to finish well clear in second place and lose the play offs. In our case we lost to Peterhead who then lost to Thistle who got promoted having finished 15 points behind us that season.

Its not clear to me what happened to Dunfermline in 2014. Presumably last season's comfortable second place was down to the first half of the season then?

Yes , essentially we were comfortably ahead by mid January and whilst our form was poor so was stranrear's and ayr's to a lesser extent, this meant we never had any pressure put on us at all. Indeed the last match we went into where it was possible we wouldn't be in 2nd come full time was in December.

Yes , essentially we were comfortably ahead by mid January and whilst our form was poor so was stranrear's and ayr's to a lesser extent, this meant we never had any pressure put on us at all. Indeed the last match we went into where it was possible we wouldn't be in 2nd come full time was in December.

Never a great situation not to be under some pressure. Players switch and think they don't have to try too hard and then you lose momentum and it can be hard to get it back again. Its an important season for both our clubs and I was quite taken by a quote in the Greenock Telegraph match report today which said:

"THEY say that league titles aren’t won in August. What is less acknowledged is that you can still go a long way towards losing them in those first four weeks. In the last decade, the champions of Scotland’s third tier have on average lost just 4.8 of their total fixtures. Statistically speaking, a poor start can effectively end a promotion charge before it’s begun."

Well no, that statistic is skewed massively by the fact that four clubs - Sevco, Queen of the South, Gretna and Livingston - absolutely romped the division in the past decade. They lost just 10 games between them, leaving presumably 38 for the six winners of 'normal' championship races. Brechin won it with 8 losses, Morton, Stirling and Ross County all won it with seven.

At the end of the day, Dunfermline have by far the most resources and greatest squad depth, and anything other than a comfortable title win ought to have Jim Jeffries barred from any managerial appointment for the rest of his career.

Well no, that statistic is skewed massively by the fact that four clubs - Sevco, Queen of the South, Gretna and Livingston - absolutely romped the division in the past decade. They lost just 10 games between them, leaving presumably 38 for the six winners of 'normal' championship races. Brechin won it with 8 losses, Morton, Stirling and Ross County all won it with seven.

At the end of the day, Dunfermline have by far the most resources and greatest squad depth, and anything other than a comfortable title win ought to have Jim Jeffries barred from any managerial appointment for the rest of his career.

When we won it back in 2002/2003 under Calderon, we actually won it despite losing 9 games. I think we had a record low points total for winning that league with just 59 points which seems incredible given the types of players we had. While the Pars haven't had a good start in the league, they've got to play an Airdrie team next week who've lost a lot of key players and are bottom of the league.

Rovers at the moment are a perfect example of how much attitude can change. After our horrendous derby showing, we put in a very good second half against Dumbarton where our team linked up well and passed the ball about, resulting in a 3-1 win. This week, the performance wasn't as clinical but we picked up a solid 1-0 win at Recs against Alloa. I was one of many calling for Murray to go after Dunfermline, but the team have came back strongly and the morale is getting better among the fans and team.

This season the points gap will be shorter. Comfortable we were last season, Stranraer and Ayr's form was totally erratic, but I can't see the challengers being as quite sporadic with the points they gain this time around. We need to pick up points pronto. Winning our next 5 games is a must IMO, we're already 5 points behind and need to put a stamp down. Can see Stranraer and Morton spanking us at their patches though in the coming weeks unfortunately.

Dunfermline have a bigger squad than most including ourselves and so injuries and suspensions will have a proportionately bigger effect on Morton than Dunfermline. For that reason they remain clear favourites. I still think though the Telegraph are right insofar as they say you can't win a championship in August but you can go a long way to losing it.

We will all see where are more clearly in 5 or 6 weeks.

I'm sure he has already said he planned on making this his last job. Being the first manager to oversee rapid relegations from SPL to the Fife Juniors would go a long way to achieving this aim.

I'm sure he has already said he planned on making this his last job. Being the first manager to oversee rapid relegations from SPL to the Fife Juniors would go a long way to achieving this aim.

Sounds like he's pirating Jim Duffy's aim for ourselves tbh.

You get a yellow card for that on dot net? Was that in isolation are just the culmination of a load of other stuff?

Not much point in having the website at all if posts like that are not allowed.

Anyway, I was at Forfar on Saturday and didn't think Dunfermline were as bad as all that, albeit the better team won on the day. Way too early to panic, just as it was for us after our first two games when the Murray Out bandwagon started rolling. Win the next two and the world will look different.

You get a yellow card for that on dot net? Was that in isolation are just the culmination of a load of other stuff?

Not much point in having the website at all if posts like that are not allowed.

Anyway, I was at Forfar on Saturday and didn't think Dunfermline were as bad as all that, albeit the better team won on the day. Way too early to panic, just as it was for us after our first two games when the Murray Out bandwagon started rolling. Win the next two and the world will look different.

Post in isolation.

The guy who moderates it isn't the best tbh.

The forum that is run by people who hid the truth from other Pars fans at our darkest time, still abusing their power.

Have no idea why people bother with that site when there's P&B instead.

Indeed. I think you have to be a bit of a clown to still post on there. If it had changed then fair enough, but to hear that it's still as it was is unacceptable and people who continue to use it are in effect supporting it.

Have no idea why people bother with that site when there's P&B instead.

It's a bit like a village pub, with all that's good/bad about it. The 'characters', the 'banter' and of course the gossip. P&B is probably a bit far out of the comfort zone for many posters.