Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I'd be surprised if he did much better than a middling to poor Championship side but definitely one of the very few I'd've kept hold of for next season.

Not sure I agree with that. A talented centre half will only get better with experience, and the difference between the player who signed for Airdrie and the one who left was night and day. Can see him outgrowing Dumbarton before too long.

Page was ok and Martin isn't much better than Urquart. What is so wrong with that?

Other than that you are completely wrong, I can't see much.

There is a reason why Page is now turning up for East Fife having been deemed not good enough for full time football by us and Morton, he's not very good.

Martin is so massively ahead of Urquhart it's not even worth debating, despite him being in the 3rd tier of Scottish football he's still getting called upto Scotland squads.

You can tell just by watching them that he's a far superior player.

I wouldn't say massively at all. He might be half decent on the ball but off it he's terrible and is far too lightweight for me.

You do realise that just by playing football in a pro team at his age every week he will be eligible for a call up? I know he's young and will develop but let's not miss the obvious mistakes he makes all the time. A centre half should be strong and able to cope with physicality. He struggled badly against Lister and McCallister and they're hardly top players. It will be interesting to see if he plays every week next season, it's too early for him IMO.

We made mistakes in letting supposed 'pish' players go too easily this season. Forbes was one and Page was good enough for a squad place.

I can't really remember him making as many mistakes as Martin but maybe not as fancy on the ball. Hopefully Martin will beef up a bit. He's not suitable for this league atm.

If he's terrible off it what do you make of Urquhart? His marking, tackling and positioning is all absolutely dreadful.

Of the ball is one of Martins best attributes, his body shape when having people run at him, his reading of the game and tackling are all extremely good, a level above Urquhart, have you ever played in defence by any chance? Anyone I've seen have a go at Martin with the argument of "He's not pure massive and stuff" has never actually played football and as such seem to miss some of the most key parts of defending, odd that.

Martin could do with some strength but trying to use Lister and Mccallister as a point in case is frankly bizarre, very few defenders dealt with Lister, Dodds in particular got ripped to shreds by him live on BBC Alba, perhaps Dodds needs beefing up?

Lister also bullied Buchanan but it hasn't stopped you having a raging hard on about him.

Forbes didn't play well for us, you can go into various details why it hasn't worked for us but it worked for Morton but

Page is awful, full stop.

The game Urquhart played against Stranraer at home was hands down the worse performance I've seen from a centre back in years, totally out his depth, had no idea where he was meant to be, body positioning all wrong when a player was running at him, just absolutely atrocious.

The next game I remembered him playing was the Stenhousemuir game where again his atrocious marking let McMenamin score an easy header.

Buchanan started well then faded into average obscurity, not a patch on Morris and not much better than Martin, he came with the reputation of being vocal and an organiser, strangely people seem to be saying that the reason for his substandard performances was because he was having to be vocal and organise the defence...

You make some good points but I disagree about Martin. I do think he's got potential and would like to see him get someone in to guide him properly.

We could argue about things like letting the ball bounce or getting outmuscled being critical or not important but ultimately our defence wasn't good enough. Buchanan isn't a saint but he's miles ahead of Martin at this time.

To be fair it's hard to criticise these young players as they stepped up when required but none of them have developed really over the two or three years.

It can be hard for any defender to look good when a non-existent midfield in front of them leaves them so exposed. I think Martin does pretty well given how often he has been exposed as a last man (same goes for Scully- he has so much practice as one on ones he's a master at them). Martin's good with the ball, calm and is a decent tackler.

Page was a bloody bombscare, utterly no sense of what was happening around him.

Martin will become really good with proper guidance. A lot of raw potential. A bit libero grande from what i seen in the last under 20s match.

Giving Motherwell's victory against Rangers on Wednesday night. I was just wondering if anybody has any memories or Dunfermline Athletic rising to the big occasion?

Giving Motherwell's victory against Rangers on Wednesday night. I was just wondering if anybody has any memories or Dunfermline Athletic rising to the big occasion?

Making it to the Skol Cup final, despite having Jocky Scott in charge was impressive (and still has a few Airdrie posters foaming at the mouth). Most enjoyable penalty shootout I've seen. Saw the old squad pic on the club's Twitter (below).

Link to bigger image

18241631772_e5916544aa_z.jpg

Even though Inverness were massive underdogs, that Semi Final second leg in 2004 when they were 1-0 up we seemed to just rise and, as soon as we equalised, there was no way we were losing that match.

How the tables have turned.