Best Goals You Have Seen...

Guest Geordie_Elvis

Guest Geordie_Elvis

Not goals you have seen on telly or your Dad has told you about, 5 special goals that you are proud to have witnessed.

1. Alan Shearer vs Everton (long ball to Ameobi,chests down, Shearer volley from 25 yards out into top corner)

2. David Ginola vs Ferencvaros (flicks the ball over a defender 3 times before volleying into the roof of the net from the edge of the box)

3. Dennis Bergkamp vs Newcastle ('that' goal where he turns Dabizas inside out before rolling the ball past Given)

4. Phillipe Albert vs Man Utd (chips Scmeichel from 30 yards to make it 5-0, the best day of my life so far)

5. Laurent Robert vs Spurs (collects the ball on the left wing and instead of crossing it he shoots from a ridiculous distance,the ball flies past Robinson)

1. Andy Ritchie v Aberdeen (1981) in the Scottish Cup.

Made our Scotland defence look like complete arses with a goal that is still talked about today. :thumsup2

2. Derek Collins v r*ng*rs (1988)

He clearly didn't intend his halfway line cross as a shot, but we'll take it all the same. ;)

3. Andy Ritchie v Partick Thistle (1978-ish)

A free-kick about 10 yards back from the corner flag, Alan Rough watches Hutchison's run to the far post. So Andy curls it inside the near post (which looked impossible). :lol:

4. Bobby Thomson v c*lt*c (1979)

Free-kick to Morton. EVERYONE expects Ritchie to shoot, but he cuts the ball down the wing to McNeil who crosses. Thomson slides in at the near post to net the game's only goal. :thumsup2

5. Keith Wright v St. Mirren (1999)

A move up the right wing is intercepted. The intended target of the mis-placed pass (Kevin Thomas) chases all the way back and retrieves the ball in our half, charges forward and releases Matheson, whose pass/shot is knocked home by Wright. This was the 4th in a 5-1 away win (in a game where we played 30 minutes with 10 men). :D

AT

Guest bornagainblue

A wee bit biased, but here's 5 great Stranny goals I've seen. :D

1- Lex Grant, QP v Stranraer, Scottish Cup (year late 80s??). From a Spiders corner, the ball is cleared to big lexy around the half way line. He strides forward about 10 yards, looks up, sees the keeper 6 yards off his line then floats the ball into the top right hand side postage stamp corner.

2- Kevin Finlayson, Stranraer v Albion Rovers, May 2004. Kev gets the ball back to goal about 25 yards out, nothing seems on then he turns his man before curling an unstopable shot into the top right hand corner .

3- Davy Graham, Stranraer v Alloa, August 2004. Despite dominating the game the score was 0-0 until, following a wasps corner, Davy pounces on a mistake on the halfway line before running half the length of the park and rounding the keeper before rolling the ball in. He went on to score another and make the third for Swifty to cap a tremendous performance.

4- Tony Gallagher, Stranraer v Berwick, (early 90s??) An overhead kick from the big centre half from edge of the penalty area.

5- Alan Landsdowne, Clyde v Stranraer, May 1998. The volley from edge of penalty area that gave us a 1-0 win and clinched the second division title.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest newport_diamond

1. Antonio Calderon v Ross County - New Broomfield : David fernandez hits a cross field 50 yard pass to the far corner or the 18 yard box - Toni calderon lets the ball drop across his body before unleashing a left foot volley into the oposite top cornet of the net..........Trully magical.

2. Stevie Cooper (RIP Big Man) v Raith Rovers - Broadwood : Free kick from 30 yards, totally unstoppable.....good job the net was there or some poor old grannie was getting a belter in cumbernauld shopping centre.

3. Andy Smith v Rangers - Scottish Cup Final '92 Hampden Park : Left foot into the top right hand corner that Andy Goram could only stand and admire........Gave us hope for the last few mins

4. Andy Campbell v QPR - Millenium Stadium, Cardiff - 2nd div playoff : Last min of extra time and Cardiff striker Campbell chases a long ball forward and lobs the advancing keeper from 30 yards.

5. Alan Gow v Hamilton - New Broomfield - The goal that gave us promotion to the 1st div. Alan takes the ball down and past a few bemused accies defenders before belting the ball across the goalkeeper into the far corner. Cue dancing in the stands

5. Keith Wright v St. Mirren (1999)

A move up the right wing is intercepted. The intended target of the mis-placed pass (Kevin Thomas) chases all the way back and retrieves the ball in our half, charges forward and releases Matheson, whose pass/shot is knocked home by Wright. This was the 4th in a 5-1 away win (in a game where we played 30 minutes with 10 men). :D

476436[/snapback]

And the last time you beat us in a competitive game :lol:

Surprised you didn't include Mark Yardley's ET winner against you lot in there...you know, the one where he got the ball outside the box, dribbled past your entire defence at least three times in a Ricky Villa-esque manner before calmly stroking the ball into the net...this after we had been 2-0 down as well :lol:

1. John Hewitt vs Falkirk, (3-1), 1994(?) - Rounded off a move of around 53 consecutive passes(the number seems to go up and up every time its mentioned ;) ) by drilling the ball low past Tony Parks at the Love Street end

2. Mark Yardley vs Partick Thistle, (2-1),1998(?) - Chested down a high through ball, took it on, chipped it over a defender's head a la Gascoigne at Wembley and headed it first time over the advancing keeper to put us 2-0 up in what was a relegation six pointer

3. Paul McKnight vs Falkirk, (1-0), 2000 - the day i believed we would win the league :D . Jens Paeslack, the German dressing room thief, broken leg and all wins the ball as a corner is cleared from our box. He plays it down the channel towards McGarry who just keeps it in play, beats his man and plays a defence spitting pass over the last man to McKnight who chests it down, runs in on goal and slots it past Hogarth and in off the post

4. Mark Yardley vs The Scum, 2003, (3-2) - already mentioned above. Extra time in the league cup 1st round. Picks up the ball on the edge of the area, beats two or three men and hits the bye line. Fakes the cross to beat another man and come inside, fakes the shot to beat another man, fakes the shot again to sell the goalie then thumps it into the far corner right in front of the saints hoards at the wee dublin end :D (i would point out that there were no cameras at this game so i honestly cant remember if ive over exagerrated this goal or not)

5. Charlie Adam vs St Mirren, 2004, (3-2) - Hit it from just inside his own half on the left peg, flew into the net to send the 72 staggies at the caley end wild ;)

not reallly been to too many no saints games im afraid ;)

My top 5 saints goals would be similar to FB's but the best non-saints goal i've sen in the flesh was:

Zinedine Zidane v Bayer Leverkusen Hampden, Champ League Final.

Cross from Carlos, knocked down to Zizou, volleyed home.

I was sitting in the North Stand in line with 18 yard line, where he struck it from, absolutely wonderful.

Although, Paul McKnights at Ayr may have been better...

1.) James McFadden V Holland at Hampden. I'll never forget being there for that goal, the celebrations were crazy

2.) Kenny Miller v Germany at Hampden. Same as above

3.) Pele Napier v Stenny last week. Scored a screamer for 30 yards last week to cap off a brilliant come back.

4.) John Kelly v Peterhead 2001. Was our best performance to date in the SFL and it was a beauty from kelly that capped it off. He chiped the keeper from outside the box and the ball hit the underside of the bar and crept in.

5.) Darren Mackie v Celtic. Was a few years ago, was taken to an aberdeen game and they beat their unbeaten home record i think and beat celtic 2-0. I remember that game because the atmosphere that night was amazing. And plus i'd never seen anyone beat the old firm before then.

1) Tassos Ventitis Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory - cooly rolled the ball passed mark brown,I celebrate by climbing on to the wall at the back of the away end and dancing about! Little did I know that would start the greatest day of my life!

2)Kevin McLeish Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- left footed half volley into the bottom right hand corner of mark browns goal! 2-0!

3)Steven Ferguson(Legend)Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- from the penatly spot fergie hammers the ball low and hard pass mark brown! 3-0!

4)Hugh Robertson Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- indirect free kick inside the box in front of the away support, shuggie powers the ball at stevie the judus hislop, hits hislop and goes in! haha! 4-1 now i think!

5) Conner Gethins Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- with the game coming to a close and the ICT fans heading for the exit, county broke at pace i think McGarry cuts the ball back to Gethins whos finshes with ease! 5-1 5-1 5-1 5-1 5-1 B) B)

• 4 weeks later...

1 - Paul Di Giacomo v Motherwell (2000) - originally nicks the ball off Scott Leitch who at the time was doing keepie-ups on the half way line; turns about four players while rushing to the by line; instead of cutting it back he circles another two on the by line before nutmegging the goalie - I have exaggerated nothing, it was the greatest goal I've ever seen.

2 - Hicham Zerouali v Killie (2002) - classic goal out of nothing from the late Morroccan, has the ball about 45 yards out, defence stand off slightly expecting to clear up a long pass - he takes a touch and just belts it into the net, it was amazing.

3 - Craig Dargo v St Mirren (2001) - CIS semi final of that year. Dargo picks the ball up inside our half on the break after a corner kick, sprints toward goal turning about 3 players en route, slams it into top bag from 25 yards.

Really thinking now...

4 - Garry Hay v Aberdeen (1999) - neither were utterly mindblowing, but chosen for combined effect on his home debut. One a looping shot (honest ;) ) from out wide about 30 yards. Drops into the opposite top corner. The other, a solo extravaganza running about 40 yards with the ball turning on the byline again, drags the ball on to preferred left foot behind his left calf using the inside of right boot, slams in from about 10 yards

5 - Jim McIntyre v Dundee Utd (1997) - Scottish Cup semi final replay, Killie have been under the cosh for a total of three hours from a good United side. Suddenly theres a break forward, cross into the box and Jimmy Mac takes it on the volley and rifles into the opposite top corner. A brilliant finish, but I chose it more because of what it signified.

1. Kevin McAllister vs. Hearts - Best goal i have seen by miles. Not only was it a brilliant strike but it was in the 85th minute of the semi-final and we thought we were going on to win. Not mention the final result.

2. Kevin McAllister vs. Huntly - Crucnhie juts kept running making the defenders fall over themselves and a quality finish.

3. Stuart Taylor vs. Dundee - Absolute quality strike and we were in stand behind goal at other end of pitch and it looked even better from where we were.

4. James McFadden vs. Holland - Perhaps not the greatest finish but good build up with flick from fletcher and it was such an important goal at the time and ended in a famous victory.

5. Darren Fletcher vs. Lithuania - Another goal picked more for its importance rather than its quality. Still a good finish and ended the frustration that had preceeded it.

I am sure i have missed out a number of better goals but they were the best i can think of.

• 4 weeks later...

Scott Bannerman v Stenhousemuir - A cracker from 40 yards, our first goal in the new era!

Darren Fletcher v Lithuania - Wasn't a great goal, but the reaction of the crowd was immense!

Dave McPherson v Stenhousemuir - 25 curler into the top bin, I still have no idea where it came from...I think even big Sadie was shocked it went in!

Scott Bannerman v St Mirren - 30 yard free kick into the Wee Dublin end goal!

Scott Bannerman v Peterhead - A great team move started in the left back position by Robbie Henderson who played it up to Eddie Annand, Eddie brings it down knocks it on to Alex Williams who plays ti across the face of the goal to Scottie to win the league!!!!!!!! :D:D

Guni Torfason v Cel*ic - Tomas Stickroth rips the piss out of Darius Wdowczyk (or however you spell it) at the corner flag and whips in a beauty of a cross. Big Guni bullets the header home.

Ian Ferguson v Hearts (87 cup semi) - Fergie slots home from an impossible angle.

John Hewitt v Falkirk - The 387 previous passes goal as described earlier.

Billy Davies v R*nge*s - A 35 yard (at least) beauty.

Kenny McDowall v R*nge*s - Not the most beautiful goal in the world but makes my top 5 as it spoilt the **** flag unveiling day and crippled Chris Woods in the process.

Possibly the scariest ever walk home afterwards though. (Remember that Div?)

Guest Marc_Corcoran1

Hugh Murray vs Raith (I think) The keepie uppy goal . pure class .

Charlie Adam vs St Mirren - Was a peach although it was against us

Allan Russell vs Raith - 40 yards out top bag

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 1rothesayton

Morton Vs Dumbarton at Cappielow 1995-96?

Chick Charnley frrom inside his own half into the wee dublin end. One of the most memorable moments I have ever seen at game. I think it was the fact he moved two yards to get the ball. Great goal though. After this he went onto better things :guinness + :babe2

BRING BACK THE TAN MAN!!

Guest Wheezy
1) Tassos Ventitis Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory - cooly rolled the ball passed mark brown,I celebrate by climbing on to the wall at the back of the away end and dancing about! Little did I know that would start the greatest day of my life!

2)Kevin McLeish Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- left footed half volley into the bottom right hand corner of mark browns goal! 2-0!

3)Steven Ferguson(Legend)Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- from the penatly spot fergie hammers the ball low and hard pass mark brown! 3-0!

4)Hugh Robertson Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- indirect free kick inside the box in front of the away support, shuggie powers the ball at stevie the judus hislop, hits hislop and goes in! haha! 4-1 now i think!

5) Conner Gethins Vs Invermess CT - couple of seasons back in the 5-1 victory- with the game coming to a close and the ICT fans heading for the exit, county broke at pace i think McGarry cuts the ball back to Gethins whos finshes with ease! 5-1 5-1 5-1 5-1 5-1 

Definetly agree here, although Charlie Adam's goal vs St Mirren deserves a mention! :)

Stainrod against St Johnstone from the halfway line

Eddie May against Airdrie...the wee backheel goal

Stainrod against Celtic...the diving header goal

Crunchie against Hearts...the pinnacle of the best individual performance in a game I've ever seen

Jimmy Gilmour against Celtic..I'm on the telly when it pans to the crowd :bounce1

1. John Hewitt v Falkirk

2. Mark Yardley v Soapdodgers

3. Charlie Adam v Saints

For those three see Fat Basher's post :)

4. Shuggy Murray v Stirling Albion 1998, great goal and kept us up

5.in Gallacher v Austria in WC 98 qualifiers at Parkhead, hammered it from about the edge of the box and we were near enough on our way to France :D

Archived