Player's who could've been...

I think if Durrant hadn;t got injured he would have been a great player as it was he was pretty good, ironically Scotland lost 2 quality players that day as Neil Simpson was never the same again and he was like a new Souness.

I was at a couple if internationals in 87/88 and Durrant and McStay combined to form a very effective midfield. They actually clicked very well. After Durrant's injury, Bett and/or McAllister came in more and neither complemented McStay to anything like the same degree.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at a couple if internationals in 87/88 and Durrant and McStay combined to form a very effective midfield. They actually clicked very well. After Durrant's injury, Bett and/or McAllister came in more and neither complemented McStay to anything like the same degree.

As a Celtic fan would you put McStay in this thread? I always felt he was to use Archies's phrase"majestic" at times but kind of lost it a bit especially when he was captain,personally I thin he should have tried England , i remember Man U were keen on him.

As a Celtic fan would you put McStay in this thread? I always felt he was to use Archies's phrase"majestic" at times but kind of lost it a bit especially when he was captain,personally I thin he should have tried England , i remember Man U were keen on him.

For Motherwell:

In the 90's I remember seeing a young boy Martin McBride come on as a sub and skin everyone in sight. Don't know what happened to him.

As other people have mentioned Stephen Pearson, totally wasted him going to celtic. Worst thing a talented young player still developing can do is go sit on the bench at ibrox/parkhead.

More recently, Mark Reynolds. We should have taken the money off of rainjurs whilst they were still paying for things (with someone elses money)

For Other Teams:

Riordan & O'Connor, Chris Maguire and Leigh Griffiths (I know its early but you just know his general fuckwittery is going to screw his future up)

McBride... that reminds me... John Paul McBride

Signed for 200k from Celtic. Fantastic technical midfielder. I remember every single program where they asked a player the most skilful player at the club and he was always the one named. He used to dink balls between the defenders and the back line which looked awesome, but never came to anything. Before the game him and Danny Griffin (bet he regrets turning down Premiership Derby now) were always the two hitting the cross bar from the half way line.

I always felt he was just too good for Saints at the time.... but he got freed and disappeared from the top flight never to be seen again...

Still at Celtic, they loaned him out to MK Dons in January after him being injured for almost all of the two years he has been at the club, he played 5 times for MK Dons then I think got another injury sad.gif

My heart bleeds for him, it really does. :whistle

Up to a point, yes, because he could have been an all-time great player, but didn't quite make it. However, he managed to accumulate a very good career for all that. McStay's problem was the timing of his career. The 1980's saw playmakers superseded by less elegant pressing type midfielders with the creative roles shoved out on the wings. It was a cornerstone of the Aberdeen and Dundee United sides, and later, Ferguson's Man United.

But equally, McStay's peak years coincided with Celtic's sharp decline, which he took very badly. The Centenary season (87/88) was his greatest for sure (it also included his best ever Scotland performance in a home match v Belgium), but when the bottom fell out of the Celtic team after that, his form definitely became more inconsistent. I guess it didn't help that he had to cover for Peter Grant's numerous and frequent mistakes. He was no captain for sure, but Billy McNeill dismantled an experienced Celtic side rather hastily, leaving little choice. I think when he threw his jersey to the Jungle at the end of the 1991/2 season, the fans kind of assumed he was away then. In fact, he should have left Celtic because he owed us nothing. But the offers were nothing like the level of Man United (who had still to sign Keane) - if I recollect, it was Everton and Udinese who came in. In the end, he was just a home-loving kid who wanted to play for the Hoops, no matter how shambolic they were.

And I note the irony of my last statement since McStay now resides in Sydney, Australia !

On that note, the one that stands out was Ian Ferguson.

I know it sounds silly due to all the medals he won at Rangers but he could achieved more down in England or international stage

He was a great attacking midfield player before he went to Rangers where he turned into a hatchet man. A waste

On that note, the one that stands out was Ian Ferguson.

I know it sounds silly due to all the medals he won at Rangers but he could achieved more down in England or international stage

He was a great attacking midfield player before he went to Rangers where he turned into a hatchet man. A waste

Rangers took a few decent midfielders and turned them into hatchet men. John Brown, Kevin Thomson....

Frank McAvennie - never signed for Saint Mirren until he was 20. Joined the English top league at 25, and scored for fun ( loads of goals as well ). If it wasn't for the booze and burdz, etc, who knows what he would have achieved in football... 5 Scotland caps....sad.gif.

Ricky Gilles - mind of his being touted for a move to liverpool not long before he joined the dons, no idea how good he really was as I hardly saw him play but the promise was obviously there.

Mickey Weir - never the same after he broke his leg

Almost all of the 'golden generation' - utter wasters, Riordan and O'Connor especially. To squander their talent as they did is frankly criminal.

Rangers took a few decent midfielders and turned them into hatchet men. John Brown, Kevin Thomson....

Thommo was always the same.

On that note Scott Brown - best player I've seen come through at Hibernian. Could have played for a top European side completely wasted now in the goldfish bowl.

Archived