Player's who could've been...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you ever have a reasoned debate without posting images and looking like a dick?

If there was a comment worth debating, I would.

Brown good enough for a top European club? Geez a break. He's a runner with very little technical ability.

Scott Brown's an interesting one, of the Hibernian "Golden Generation" he could possibly be classed as one of the most "successful", only really Gary Caldwell and Steven Fletcher played at a higher level while Kevin Thomson's been ruined by injuries and Garry O'Connor and Derek Riordan aren't worth talking about.

It's hard to see whether he's actually reached his potential though as he was arguably the least talented of those players

McBride... that reminds me... John Paul McBride

Signed for 200k from Celtic. Fantastic technical midfielder. I remember every single program where they asked a player the most skilful player at the club and he was always the one named. He used to dink balls between the defenders and the back line which looked awesome, but never came to anything. I always felt he was just too good for Saints at the time.... but he got freed and disappeared from the top flight never to be seen again...

Grand master of the square baw and the mighty passback. Totally lacked confidence when under any pressure.

I remember the day he had a simple tap in, and wasted the chance by looking up to pass the ball to a striker. From all of 3 yards out :o Knew he was finished then.

Alex Burke and David Bagan . brought through by Williamson in our cup winning year . Looked a class above and ran defences ragged . were meant to be being looked at by newcastle . again beer and parties seemed to ruin then and they only went backwards

Colin Mckee Joined from Man United had great tecnique and loved to show off against the gers . never did it often enough and would rather be in the pub . such a waste . should of been playing much higher than killie

I'd have to agree with shull and say Ricky Gillies, obviously he wasn't helped by Tony-F's AC Milan statement and his versatility didn't help - he could play off a striker or out on the right but was not really the out&out striker Aberdeen seemed to think they'd bought after big money moves down South fell through.

When he returned to us he had a good season in the SPL scoring 11 goals mainly as an attacking midfielder in a team that was relegated - a pretty good return. He really should have moved on at that point, back in the First he was played deeper and was less effective. IIRC he left after GM took charge - it was really sad to see him out at half-time doing keepy-uppy and ball tricks like a teenager. You couldn't really blame MacPherson for dropping him as Andy Millen who took his place initially was much more effective.

Back in the day I'd have said he was a better prospect than Paul Hartley (a player who did fulfil his potentential) but he didn't have Hartley's devilment. Overall just too nice a guy....................

It might seem strange to put forward the SPL's all time top scorer, but I'm going to say Kris Boyd. If he hadn't been a lazy waster he could have had a fantastic career. Instead he wasted most of it at rangers before flopping down south and in Turkey.

We could go down that route, but instead I'm going to ask a question I meant to ask earlier.....

Do Hearts fans think Andy Driver deserves a place on this thread? Or is there still hope for him?

Getting back to something approaching previous form in the last couple of months of the season, so definitely still hope for him. He was superb in the cup final, although he wasn't up against much tbf, but with a full pre-season, I'd expect to see him get out the blocks quickly next season.

Ask us again this time next year.

Mark Kerr.

Though this is probably more fuelled by the fact he was f*cking brilliant in Champ Man!

laugh.gif

Captained my Scotland side to the 2006 World Cup alongside Shuggy Murray in midfield.

Stephen McConalogue up front, Paul Reid at the back. Good times cool.gif

I would have to add Calum Elliot to the list. Looked a brilliant player when he first broke through into the Hearts team and was class in the under-20 WC, but then Hearts sent him to Motherwell on loan, when he came back his terrible attitude started to show and he got pelters off the DR Congos at Tynie for every little mistake. Wasted.

I would have to add Calum Elliot to the list. Looked a brilliant player when he first broke through into the Hearts team and was class in the under-20 WC, but then Hearts sent him to Motherwell on loan, when he came back his terrible attitude started to show and he got pelters off the DR Congos at Tynie for every little mistake. Wasted.

That loan to Motherwell was the worst thing for everyone concerned.

He was shit at Motherwell, so the fans got on his back and he came back shit with a shit attitude. I remember one interview where he was pissed off at the fact he didnt get home to Edinburgh until half four whilst he was in Motherwell which didnt go down well.

When he came back, he had the fans on his back for most of the time, but at the start of JJ's first full season, he began well and was unfortunate to pick up an injury and never really got back in the team which was a shame as I thought he was going to come good in the end.

It might seem strange to put forward the SPL's all time top scorer, but I'm going to say Kris Boyd. If he hadn't been a lazy waster he could have had a fantastic career. Instead he wasted most of it at rangers before flopping down south and in Turkey.

Really?

Kris was never going to be a Wayne Rooney type who'd track back and run about like a headless chicken. What you might call lazy, I'd call being in the right place. He's a striker after all. His job is to put the ball in the net. Which he did very successfully.

To be fair to Boomer, it didn't work at 'Boro for whatever reason, but he did score 6 goals in ten appearances on loan at Nottingham Forest. His move to Turkey was never going to work, but it was certainly not helped by the manager who signed him for Eskisehirspor moving on soon after, and the new manager preferring to play one up top, a role Kris has never been suited to.

He's also doing well in the U.S, which is a much higher standard than the SPL now I'm afraid.

On Boyd, I'd certainly rather have him in the Scotland side before dross like Mackail-Smith. Anyone else agree?

Really?

Kris was never going to be a Wayne Rooney type who'd track back and run about like a headless chicken. What you might call lazy, I'd call being in the right place. He's a striker after all. His job is to put the ball in the net. Which he did very successfully.

To be fair to Boomer, it didn't work at 'Boro for whatever reason, but he did score 6 goals in ten appearances on loan at Nottingham Forest. His move to Turkey was never going to work, but it was certainly not helped by the manager who signed him for Eskisehirspor moving on soon after, and the new manager preferring to play one up top, a role Kris has never been suited to.

He's also doing well in the U.S, which is a much higher standard than the SPL now I'm afraid.

On Boyd, I'd certainly rather have him in the Scotland side before dross like Mackail-Smith. Anyone else agree?

Yes really.

I wouldn't claim he could ever have been a Wayne Rooney, but he should definitely have played at a higher level, but he wasn't willing to put in the work. Look at pictures of him in his prime at Killie and then at the end of his rangers career, the bloated waster is hardly recognisable from the fresh faced youth that scored goals by the barrow load for us. He was never the most mobile or energetic striker, but his other attributes more than made up for that. He should have moved to Cardiff when he still had the chance to develop as a player, instead he choose to score goals for fun against the poorer teams in the SPL while becoming a passenger in the games that mattered. Do you think it's just a coincidence that he wasn't trusted for the big games by either Scotland or rangers?

I'd agree with this. Always had it in my head he could do a great job as an inzhagi type player, he looked to me like he could eventually do a job at any level, as long as that job was to be a penalty-box striker. instead he got fat and lazy(er), never developing what he had or adding to it. Really did think he could have been at a much higher level

Yes really.

I wouldn't claim he could ever have been a Wayne Rooney, but he should definitely have played at a higher level, but he wasn't willing to put in the work. Look at pictures of him in his prime at Killie and then at the end of his rangers career, the bloated waster is hardly recognisable from the fresh faced youth that scored goals by the barrow load for us. He was never the most mobile or energetic striker, but his other attributes more than made up for that. He should have moved to Cardiff when he still had the chance to develop as a player, instead he choose to score goals for fun against the poorer teams in the SPL while becoming a passenger in the games that mattered. Do you think it's just a coincidence that he wasn't trusted for the big games by either Scotland or rangers?

So he's Scottish then?

Unfortunately, not being willing to put in extra wok isn't a Kris Boyd phenomenon, it's a national one. You say he was never the most mobile or energetic - fine. So why would extra work have made any difference? His game was to be in the box and put it in the net. Having seen him play for Portland, he certainly looks a lot fitter than he did at Rangers. Probably down to the better training and conditioning on offer. But that was never his problem IMO.

You can only beat the teams put in front of you, and Boyd had a good record against 10 of the SPL sides. Walter Smith didn't trust KB against Celtic for the same reason that he struggled in Turkey. They changed their formation and he didn't fit into that.

As for Scotland, don't even get me started on the clowns that have been charge of that team. The Iwelumo miss? When Boyd was on the bench? Kris would have put that in, there's no doubt over that. Just shows to me the Scotland managers have been for too long reliant on their favourites, and not the best man for the job.

I assume you were one of the morons that booed Boyd and Naismith when they returned? Doing nothing but spur them on to try even harder dry.gif

So he's Scottish then?

Unfortunately, not being willing to put in extra wok isn't a Kris Boyd phenomenon, it's a national one. You say he was never the most mobile or energetic - fine. So why would extra work have made any difference? His game was to be in the box and put it in the net. Having seen him play for Portland, he certainly looks a lot fitter than he did at Rangers. Probably down to the better training and conditioning on offer. But that was never his problem IMO.

You can only beat the teams put in front of you, and Boyd had a good record against 10 of the SPL sides. Walter Smith didn't trust KB against Celtic for the same reason that he struggled in Turkey. They changed their formation and he didn't fit into that.

As for Scotland, don't even get me started on the clowns that have been charge of that team. The Iwelumo miss? When Boyd was on the bench? Kris would have put that in, there's no doubt over that. Just shows to me the Scotland managers have been for too long reliant on their favourites, and not the best man for the job.

Does being Scottish preclude you from working hard? It doesn't seem to have held Darren Fletcher back. Looks to me like you've got a hard-on for Kris and are unwilling to look objectively at his game. Wouldn't surprise me if I was to find out that you were one of his hangers-on that held him back so you could bask in his reflected glory tbh. <_<

It is obvious to everyone but you that Boyd let himself go at rangers. He liked being the big fish in the wee pond, getting the free drinks and the slaps on the back too much and it stifled his natural ability and there's no doubt his game suffered because of it. If he'd screwed the nut there is no doubt in my mind that he could have played at the same level as Viduka or Jelavić instead he chose to score goals in a poor league. You say he looks fitter now, I'd put that down to a change in mentality rather than improved training. Charlie Adams is another example of the benefits of leaving Glasgow to become a better player, but he went with the right attitude. Kris carried his bigtime charlie baggage around till it was too late.

I assume you were one of the morons that booed Boyd and Naismith when they returned? Doing nothing but spur them on to try even harder dry.gif

:lol: Imagine thinking they gave a f**k what we thought, but just for the record I've never booed them. I'm more disappointed at how their careers panned out.

Jamie Murphy and David Clarkson.

Murphy is still young enough to come good. As for Clarky, I have to agree, he left Motherwell too late had he gone a year or two earlier he might have come good.

To my mind he would have been better staying at Fir Park. Bristol City wasn't a step up, it wasn't even a sidewards step, I think he was just walking away

Archived