The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Beer:
Lion Stout

Style: Foreign Stout

Abv: 7.5%

Aromas: Dark fruits, treacle, sweet dark chocolate, roasted malts

Taste: Sweet but not as overly dark and bitter as the aroma may suggest, some liquorice, liquor chocolate?

Overall: Lovely strong, rich aromas from this one. The taste is actually more mellow than you'd expect, especially considering the abv! It's perhaps like a toned down version of some of the more mental Brewdog stouts. Haven't seen this in the superamarkets (got it from a small local wine/beer store) but I'd recommed giving it a go. Mellow and really smooth.

*Noticed that this bottle expires April 2013, hence this may be why I find the flavours a little bit subdued.

7.5/10

post-22047-0-27555900-1367449744_thumb.j

Edited by Derek Patterson

Tetleys is awful its known as an old mans drink down here and the smell when you tap a barrell is atrocious. John Smiths Extra Smooth Extra Cold is awesome. Johns Smiths Cask is an even better pint. Not a lager drinker I prefer the flavour of heavy or bitter if you like. Hobgoblin is a favourite in bottle or draught. The Wychwood Brewey has some cracking ales.

The pub I work in sells Tetley as our main bitter and we go through 4/5 18's a week of it somehow. We have Hobgoblin on all the time as well.

We had Greene King Twisted Wheel in a couple of weeks ago and it has to be one of the strangest tasting beers I have tasted, it had a hint of ginger and spice. Not usually a fan of Greene King beers but enjoyed this one.

I've been drinking Westons Country Perry 4.5% and I have to say the stuff is lethal, it goes down like water and as I found out last week you don't realize how much you have drank until you step outside.

Just sampled a pint of Bernard Pivo(lager) in Sheffield Tap. T'was nice but don't know any info about it, bint behind the bar was clueless.

The do loads of different beers, tried a few in Prague and sure one of the supermarkets over here sells Bernard Dark.

Me and a friend are at the moment in the middle of a " Big Year" of the above beverages. This was inspired by a bird watching film that starred Owen Wilson, Jack Black, and Steve Martin of all things. The rules were to keep a notebook of the above beverages and give it a mark out of ten and a taste description. The winner will be the person with the most recorded at the end of the year.

This got me thinking about P and B. There are many people who enjoy a good beer here, so I thought Id start a topic for all the drinkers to post a review of score and taste of anything they came across. To aid fellow P and B Drinkers. The beauty of P and B is that, as its all over the world there are bound to be different products to be found and hunted down.

Currently I have two of the Jerimiah Weeds in the fridge waiting to be cracked open. Will post a review later of how they were.

Have you tried Armageddon by brewmeister ?

Its made by friends of mine and they have recently relocated closer to me which helps with the free handouts :-D

Ooh forgot to say its the strongest beer in the world.

Is it just me but since Heineken took control of Caledonian the output has noticeably decreased in quality. Deuchars is heavily promoted and tends to be a great pint still, but other beers (particularly the 'special' one offs) are awful!

Perhaps other brewers such as Stewarts, Williams and Inveralmond have the autonomy to produce stuff that they care about.

Any thoughts?

Beer: Lion Stout

Style: Foreign Stout

Abv: 7.5%

Aromas: Dark fruits, treacle, sweet dark chocolate, roasted malts

Taste: Sweet but not as overly dark and bitter as the aroma may suggest, some liquorice, liquor chocolate?

Overall: Lovely strong, rich aromas from this one. The taste is actually more mellow than you'd expect, especially considering the abv! It's perhaps like a toned down version of some of the more mental Brewdog stouts. Haven't seen this in the superamarkets (got it from a small local wine/beer store) but I'd recommed giving it a go. Mellow and really smooth.

*Noticed that this bottle expires April 2013, hence this may be why I find the flavours a little bit subdued.

7.5/10

Tried this tonight. Meh.

Beer: Batemans Dark Lord

Style: Dark Ale/Porter

Abv: 5%

Aromas: Dark roasted malts, toffee, coffee, some chocolate, hint of liquourice

Taste: More dark fruits as opposed the the roasted flavours. Grainy malts, mild bitterness

Overall: Doesn't taste as dark as it looks. It reminds me of another strong ale, perhaps Riggwelter or Hobgoblin, I think this would be a good accompaniment to a roast dinner or at least something with a rich gravy.

7/10

post-22047-0-14272800-1368481533_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Bumped after nearly 2 weeks, is everybody "aff it"?? Anyhoo, Aldi's Scottish ale festival Is back on, bought the 2 on the right there tonight. Picked the other on up at morrisons, Bruce Dickinson from iron maiden is a real ale enthusiast and was involved in the production. post-7178-13700275941459_thumb.jpg

Bumped after nearly 2 weeks, is everybody "aff it"?? Anyhoo, Aldi's Scottish ale festival Is back on, bought the 2 on the right there tonight. Picked the other on up at morrisons, Bruce Dickinson from iron maiden is a real ale enthusiast and was involved in the production. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1370027585.166948.jpg

In an attempt to lose a few pounds I have been off the beer! Temporarily, mind.

Bumped after nearly 2 weeks, is everybody "aff it"?? Anyhoo, Aldi's Scottish ale festival Is back on, bought the 2 on the right there tonight. Picked the other on up at morrisons, Bruce Dickinson from iron maiden is a real ale enthusiast and was involved in the production. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1370027585.166948.jpg

Not aff it, just not tried anything new. Thanks for the heads up on Aldi's Scottish ale festival.

Worked my way through 5 or 6 different varietys of Tryst beers last night, the pints in the pub were shite and it was the only none generic crap they had in bottles. Never heard of it before, some good some not so good. Their Drover's 80 Shilling was fantastic but they ran out after a few bottles. Brockville Dark was nice as fr as dark beers go but the rest were a bit too fruity for my liking.

The aldis Scottish beer fest was a nice surprise! Usually pop in for William's stuff cheap but also took on top of the birds & bees Kelburn Carte Blanche, Scottish Borders Foxy Blonde and a couple of Trysts too. Nothing cost more than 1.99!

Given the fact dunfermline doesn't have a decent ale shop it's a real boon. Maybe I should take a pay-off and open one up!!

I know it's wine, but thought it would be worth a mention. I bought a Rioja from the Co-op this evening, a Gran Familia from 2003. Literally one of the nicest red wines that I have ever tasted, absolutely beautiful. It has a lovely little fizzy kick on the tongue, would go brilliantly with a Sunday dinner.

The aldis Scottish beer fest was a nice surprise! Usually pop in for William's stuff cheap but also took on top of the birds & bees Kelburn Carte Blanche, Scottish Borders Foxy Blonde and a couple of Trysts too. Nothing cost more than 1.99!

Given the fact dunfermline doesn't have a decent ale shop it's a real boon. Maybe I should take a pay-off and open one up!!

I noticed that when i was in Dunfermline the other week, the only place selling Ales was some deli place