The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

I don't have a great knowledge of beer but I've always liked 80 Shilling. Could any beer experts on here recommend beers which are similar, but more widely available outside Scotland (I've struggled to find 80 Shilling in England, never mind overseas)?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Strathclyde Uni open day yesterday, then spent the rest of the day drinking various beers.

Kriek in The Beer Café.

Blackball stout and Maisels Weisse in Inn Deep.

Sleemans Honey beer in The Lansdowne.

Anchor Steam beer in The Belle.

Deliriums Tremen and Chimay Blue label in Curlers.

Carryout from Valhallas' Goat included, Cocoa Pshyco (10%), McChouffe, Chimay Blue & Sierra Nevada IPA.

Had a few pints of Sir Ryan in wetherspoons last night. Very nice Ale, quite biscuitty. Noticed the beer festival starts at the end if March, good times.

As a guest of my eldest son, I went to a beer-and-cheese tasting event at Brewdog, Kelvingrove today. Thoroughly enjoyed the patter and companionship of other beer enthusiasts, and thanks to Dom our teacher. The beers were the familiar but superb Brewdog staples, but I'll go back and try some of the others. Cheers.

Was down in London last weekend and found the Meantime beers very nice. I tried their London Lager, Pale Ale and Yakima Red ruby ale. All lovely, the Pale Ale in particular was perfect on Sunday afternoon when it was 19 degrees sitting out in the sun, very refreshing.

Start of the spoons beer festival tonight. Tbh it's not as good as it it used to be,at least not in dundees counting house. Looking forward to Glasgow counting house tomorrow.

On a tea leaf ipa from nz which even though it a 6.5% tastes like a bitter shandy.not what I wanted but not unpleasant.

Any recommendations in Glasgow central/woodlands rd/Byers rd for craft beers?

Think have found my new favourite beer. Bengali tiger from 6 points. Only sold in.tins in wetherspoons. Beautiful fruity hoppy pale ale.

Had a couple of these in my local Spoons last night, very nice.

Kicked off tonight with a green king double hop monster ipa. He'll of a kick at 7.2% and will probably see me in bed for 9. Bit sweet for an ipa but ok.

Now on my first taste of Bruce Dickinson s trooper whch is a perfectly reasonable ale but unremarkable.

I don't have a great knowledge of beer but I've always liked 80 Shilling. Could any beer experts on here recommend beers which are similar, but more widely available outside Scotland (I've struggled to find 80 Shilling in England, never mind overseas)?

Tesco's in England stock Belhaven 80 shilling according to what I have read online. Edited to add I would think McEwans might be available widely.

Inn Deep on Great Western Road is decent enough.

Inn deep was very decent and very reasonably priced. Big shout out to perennial fans favourite the Bon accord too which still has the Craig Brewster signed United top and a lovely selection of ales and whiskies

Last Saturday I had the misfortune to have one of the most disgusting pints I've ever had, including McEwans lager. On paper it sounds good but gents be warned to leave A Wee Bit by Williams Bros and Brooklyn well alone!

It seemed like a good shout being a joint effort between 2 brewers I like.

It was not.

Last Saturday I had the misfortune to have one of the most disgusting pints I've ever had, including McEwans lager. On paper it sounds good but gents be warned to leave A Wee Bit by Williams Bros and Brooklyn well alone!

It seemed like a good shout being a joint effort between 2 brewers I like.

It was not.

Ironically, this has made me curious to try it! Was it on draught? Where?

Archived