Lets All Laugh At Rangers Thread

Still seems pretty pishy to me, maybe even pishier.

Oh, it's pishy alright.

It'll be of much less interest to me soon though, if an arms race moves two clubs ridiculously clear of everyone else in terms of resources and if the Cups become far more out of reach for most clubs.

Why not place Rangers in the top league with a points deduction? Surely that would have made more sense?

Well, em, naw.

Can you imagine the 2012 version of Rangers in the top division? With a points deduction? Ffs they lost to Annan (no offence, Annan supporters). 

Can you imagine the 2012 version of Rangers in the top division? With a points deduction? Ffs they lost to Annan (no offence, Annan supporters).

That's actually a good point. I think a (legitimate) relegation battle would have been far more distressing than The Journey has proven.

Oh, it's pishy alright.

It'll be of much less interest to me soon though, if an arms race moves two clubs ridiculously clear of everyone else in terms of resources and if the Cups become far more out of reach for most clubs.

That makes no sense, you are interested in a league with one team miles ahead of everyone else but if another team joins the title race you won't be as interested.

That makes no sense, you are interested in a league with one team miles ahead of everyone else but if another team joins the title race you won't be as interested.

It makes perfect sense.

At present, there is a chance, albeit a slim one, that a side I don't mind, like Aberdeen might win the League.

Until recently though, it was guaranteed that a side I couldn't stand would win it. If Rangers wind up strong, we'll probably return to that.

It's also absolutely true that only having one much bigger, stronger side in the way these last few years, has enabled the Cups to be shared round far better.

It makes perfect sense. At present, there is a chance, albeit a slim one, that a side I don't mind, like Aberdeen might win the League. Until recently though, it was guaranteed that a side I couldn't stand would win it. If Rangers wind up strong, we'll probably return to that. It's also absolutely true that only having one much bigger, stronger side in the way these last few years, has enabled the Cups to be shared round far better.

Exactly.  Over the course of the SC, there's probably a 50% chance of knocking Celtic out at the moment but there would only be a 25% chance of knocking out both ugly sisters.

But they'dhave brought in more money in the top flight!?

The extra 3 or 4 million from season tickets and TV money would more than have been eaten up by increased wages.  I assume Green would have lasted longer and would probably have gone for broke - Europe or bust.  With 'bust' being more likely.

The extra 3 or 4 million from season tickets and TV money would more than have been eaten up by increased wages.  I assume Green would have lasted longer and would probably have gone for broke - Europe or bust.  With 'bust' being more likely.

McCoist would have been punted much, much sooner though.

They wouldn't have replaced him with Warburton but most folk could have taken that budget and returned a reasonable finish.

I have to agree with Beeny on this one. Rangers will take points from Celtic and the gap might close enough to make a 1 or 2 horse race into a 3 or 4 horse race with the likes of the Sheep and Hearts joining the Glasgow pair, no disrespect to the other Glasgow team but I see them more as mid table jobbers with us.

The other scenario is that, even though Sellick have lost revenue, I can see them having banked a war chest these past 4 seasons awaiting the arrival of the zombies to the top table. In that scenario I would think that the battle for top six and subsequently European spots will be quite exciting.

Hibs coming up via a play off place would even things up too. I think there will be another bunching of clubs in what is quite a close midriff in the top tier with Celtic either being pulled closer in at the top or pulling further away depending on how they spend.

I have to agree with Beeny on this one. Rangers will take points from Celtic and the gap might close enough to make a 1 or 2 horse race into a 3 or 4 horse race with the likes of the Sheep and Hearts joining the Glasgow pair, no disrespect to the other Glasgow team but I see them more as mid table jobbers with us.

The other scenario is that, even though Sellick have lost revenue, I can see them having banked a war chest these past 4 seasons awaiting the arrival of the zombies to the top table. In that scenario I would think that the battle for top six and subsequently European spots will be quite exciting.

Hibs coming up via a play off place would even things up too. I think there will be another bunching of clubs in what is quite a close midriff in the top tier with Celtic either being pulled closer in at the top or pulling further away depending on how they spend.

I'd love to think you were right, but don't for a moment think you are, certainly in anything other than the very short term.

Rangers will crank up spending on the back of a share issue and Celtic will respond by spending more aggressively than they've been doing.

We'll wind up back with a fixed set up that labours under the guise of being competitive, because two clubs will have obscene advantages in our wildly distorted game. The media will be complicit in creating and feeding the delusion.

It'll be Shit.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I'd love to think you were right, but don't for a moment think you are, certainly in anything other than the very short term.

Rangers will crank up spending on the back of a share issue and Celtic will respond by spending more aggressively than they've been doing.

We'll wind up back with a fixed set up that labours under the guise of being competitive, because two clubs will have obscene advantages in our wildly distorted game. The media will be complicit in creating and feeding the delusion.

It'll be Shit.

riazorbluesnonqueremoso.jpg

It makes perfect sense.

At present, there is a chance, albeit a slim one, that a side I don't mind, like Aberdeen might win the League.

Until recently though, it was guaranteed that a side I couldn't stand would win it. If Rangers wind up strong, we'll probably return to that.

It's also absolutely true that only having one much bigger, stronger side in the way these last few years, has enabled the Cups to be shared round far better.

Adding Rangers to the mix wouldn't change the sheep's chances of winning it tho, cups aldo have nothing to do with the liking league more or less tho....

Adding Rangers to the mix wouldn't change the sheep's chances of winning it tho, cups aldo have nothing to do with the liking league more or less tho....

Eh?

Do you not see the duopoly, whereby both are well clear of the third place team as happening then?

I do - perhaps not immediately, but very soon.

The point re Cups is that if Rangers are strong and at the top end of the top flight, then it's very much harder for a non-OF side to win one than it's recently been.

Gough might not have mentioned Cups, but I am and what's happened in them in recent seasons has been great and has been a huge part of why what we've had has been about as far from Armageddon as can be imagined.

riazorbluesnonqueremoso.jpg

Exactly.

It's generally recognised by football fans that a hideously imbalanced game is not a good thing. It's something that many in Scotland seem to struggle with though.

It's an illusion of competition that so many OF fans and media figures want. They want guarantees that they'll win loads of trophies because their resources will wildly outstrip everyone's, but the side who creates and sustains the illusion with them.

Eh?

Do you not see the duopoly, whereby both are well clear of the third place team as happening then?

I do - perhaps not immediately, but very soon.

The point re Cups is that if Rangers are strong and at the top end of the top flight, then it's very much harder for a non-OF side to win one than it's recently been.

Gough might not have mentioned Cups, but I am and what's happened in them in recent seasons has been great and has been a huge part of why what we've had has been about as far from Armageddon as can be imagined.

I see a Celtic side which isn't that far in front f the sheep, a Rangers side which once 4 or 5 leave and are replaced may be able to mix it with the sheep, arts and them in the top part of the table.

Not seeing the cup point myself, cup games have always been unpredictable.

Not seeing the cup point myself, cup games have always been unpredictable.

Come on Bennett, don't be daft.

Look at how many different sides have recently won a Cup. In fact three sides have won their first ever trophy in the last two years.

When did Rangers last go five seasons without lifting either Cup?

Don't be stupid enough to tell me that there's no connection between having one half of the OF crippled (while the other is resultantly diminished) and lots of other clubs getting rare glimpses of silverware.

Even you would surely not attempt to peddle such a line.