Lets All Laugh At Rangers Thread

13 hours ago, Mr Meeker said:

Can't believe I'm getting involved,  but can't avoid it. I support Dundee United.  My wife supports Rangers. My eldest son is a United fan. My youngest likes Rangers. Are my Rangers supporting family bigots? No.

Well……..to answer that you would need to tell us if your wife and youngest go to games and if so do they get involved in the cultural songs?

If yes - they are probably bigots.

If No - probably not.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Nah f**k that, I don't let something so trivial affect my whole day/weekend/week. 

I can't let a bunch of absolute jobbers, who dont even know I exist, affect my state of mind. It's just a football club to me, if they had never existed my life wouldn't be any different. 

The only time I can ever really not feel that way is the games that I don’t attend but even then.

Last season you beat us in the cup on the Friday night and it absolutely destroyed my whole weekend.

Another thing I normally get is a really sore head, regardless of result, quite soon after the game.

Wonder why we bother to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

The only time I can ever really not feel that way is the games that I don’t attend but even then.

Last season you beat us in the cup on the Friday night and it absolutely destroyed my whole weekend.

Another thing I normally get is a really sore head, regardless of result, quite soon after the game.

I guess football affects people in different ways. 

On 10/09/2023 at 21:21, velo army said:

We're actually pretty good at calling out the bigoted nonsense from Rangers, and to their credit none of the buns on here defend it. I don't know what they do when they're at the ground or in their everyday life to call it out, because this is an anonymous forum where people can be whomever they choose to be.

Kincardine and his 1690 fetish?

23 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I am similar. There are things in my life which are obviously more important than football, but there is no taking away from the fact that football makes up a large part of it.

If we suffer a bad result I have a nagging feeling at the back of my head for days. Kind of like you know there is a shitty task at work you need to deal with and you’ve been putting it off for ages. You can get on with other things but the feeling just lingers there 😂

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Might be in the minority here but when Kilmarnock lose, even after all these years of losing, it ruins my weekend. Don’t want to do anything on the Saturday night and then on the Sunday it’s one of the first things that comes into your head when you wake up.  We lost.  Horrible.

When I started supporting the Dons the women who worked with my mother knew the result by the look on my face when I came through the door.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

When I started supporting the Dons the women who worked with my mother knew the result by the look on my face when I came through the door.

Did the woman who worked with your mother live at your house or was it when you walked through the door of their work? ;) 

19 hours ago, alta-pete said:

...and my son goes to see Stirling Albion. Funny old world, eh?

Is there a specific reason for that, did you encourage him to support another team from the one you support, for the obvious reason, and do you go along to Stirling Albion games with him? My neighbour wanted to take his son to football games, but didn't want him subjected to the shite that goes along with supporting The Rangers. 

4 hours ago, AJF said:

Maybe because you don't realise that for many, the unsavoury and shameful aspects of the club that are no doubt there are not what initially attracts or influences them to support the club.

As an example, I wasn't a regular match going fan until I was around 12 or 13. My experience of Rangers up until that point was watching them predominantly on TV with my dad who has no religious persuasion. I was naïve to many of the issues that are there, but by the time I fully understood them I'd say I was too much in love with football and Rangers to even consider not being a Rangers fan.

Yeah as i said in an earlier post, there must be a time when you've matured to a certain age that you absolute understand the sectarian bile that comes along with supporting The Rangers, and if you are even purely just there to support them on the pitch, it still must weigh on your mind that the club is so steeped in bigotry. I just can't imagine anyone wanting no part of that would want to take their kids to their games, maybe can separate it in your own mind, which has to be difficult enough, but you absolutely know you're taking impressionable kids into that toxic culture, and risking them being influenced by it.

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I wouldn't say my weekend is ruined after a defeat, but it does lift my spirits, brightening up my weekend when we win. Think i'm so used to us losing i'm desensitized to it, but a win still feels something special.

4 minutes ago, fasda2 said:

Any ology type students out there looking for the meaning of “institutional” as in “institutional bigotry” need only read on here the rational behind people aligning with mass bigotry. 

Like being part of the KKK when you aren't a racist, you just like carrying a burning torch and dressing up in white robes with a pillow case on your head.

5 hours ago, AJF said:

Maybe because you don't realise that for many, the unsavoury and shameful aspects of the club that are no doubt there are not what initially attracts or influences them to support the club.

As an example, I wasn't a regular match going fan until I was around 12 or 13. My experience of Rangers up until that point was watching them predominantly on TV with my dad who has no religious persuasion. I was naïve to many of the issues that are there, but by the time I fully understood them I'd say I was too much in love with football and Rangers to even consider not being a Rangers fan.

Of course I realise that but I can't fathom why people don't just change their mind based on new information.  You like examples, here's one. I loved football as a boy and kept on at my dad to take me with him to games. I became a fanatical Celtic fan but didn't, as they say, 'know the history'. Once I was old enough to understand I stopped supporting Celtic but didn't stop loving football.  I still have a nostalgic fondness for that Celtic 'team' that my dad took me to see but I just don't like the Celtic football club. 

Edited by kennie makevin

29 minutes ago, sugna said:

I am also puzzled by this anecdote. I feel something's missing.

My mother was the cook in a golf club and had various assistants, 3 or 4 probably (women, not woman). I went into the kitchen to get fed (except away games, the kitchen was closed by the time I got home from them). Some match days conversation was brief, to the point of non esistent.

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

My mother was the cook in a golf club and had various assistants, 3 or 4 probably (women, not woman). I went into the kitchen to get fed (except away games, the kitchen was closed by the time I got home from them). Some match days conversation was brief, to the point of non esistent.

Why does he get an explanation and I get a head full of stupid?

21 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Of course I realise that but I can't fathom why people don't just change their mind based on new information.  You like examples, here's one. I loved football as a boy and kept on at my dad to take me with him to games. I became a fanatical Celtic fan but didn't, as they say, 'know the history'. Once I was old enough to understand I stopped supporting Celtic but didn't stop loving football.  I still have a nostalgic fondness for that Celtic 'team' that my dad took me to see but I just don't like the Celtic football club. 

Because, to put it simply, Rangers are my team.

I grew up supporting and developing an affinity to that team for broadly the same reasons any other young person happens to support a team. I didn't grow up supporting the team due to bigotry or sectarianism and I don't choose to support the team nowadays for that reason either.