America

qos_75

In Seattle ATM . Lovely city although it is a lot bigger than I thought before I came here. Drove up from San Francisco on highway 1 and was the best and scariest road I have been on.

Just done a 3 day drive round the Cascade mountains and its stunning. Next stop Vancouver and Victoria then train to NYC and home.

Sorry if mentioned before, never read the full thread.

Went on a tour of America a few years back leaving from LA to NYC on tour that looked like a smile, so cannot comment on the northern states. For me a few places I can guarantee greatness,

• Zion, spectacular scenery if your into a bit of hill/mountain climbing ( state of Utah, no alcohol over 3%)
  • Grand Canyon, very expensive if you do a tour (do it on your own & camp)
  • San Antonio(Texas), if you have children, this is great little place, with great restaurants, also the water park is a full day of excitement (not just for the kids)
  • Washington DC, good city if you like museums and history of America (check out the Native Indian)
  • NYC, didn't like it myself, but can see why many people do. Glad I seen it though

Many more I seen, ask if you want

Hope it helps

• [*]Zion, spectacular scenery if your into a bit of hill/mountain climbing ( state of Utah, no alcohol over 3%)

This isn't true. Alcohol of any ABV can be sold in Utah, just only in certain stores - and in any case it's 4%, not 3%.

This isn't true. Alcohol of any ABV can be sold in Utah, just only in certain stores - and in any case it's 4%, not 3%.

All the stores where I was sold light booze, if it was 4% I stand corrected, it wasn't a big deal for me but it may be for others.

There is tons for tourists in the DFW area. Loads of it. Depends what you're into, of course, but if you don't mind driving 45 minutes you'll find loads of stuff.

I've been in the Dallas/Fort Worth area a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Dallas seemed a bit soulless but Fort Worth was good crack.

Anyone visting the area wanting to sample authentic red neck Texas should check out "Boot Scootin Bar" on highway 144 outside Glen Rose, you'll be made welcome "ish" (aslong as you're white), f**k me it's rough. Dungarees, fights, hillbillies etc.........not unlike Methil actually.

I've been in the Dallas/Fort Worth area a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Dallas seemed a bit soulless but Fort Worth was good crack.

Anyone visting the area wanting to sample authentic red neck Texas should check out "Boot Scootin Bar" on highway 144 outside Glen Rose, you'll be made welcome "ish" (aslong as you're white), f**k me it's rough. Dungarees, fights, hillbillies etc.........not unlike Methil actually.

Only difference with Methil, they play a 6 fingered banjo.

Would agree with Seattle, great place to visit. Strikes me as a great place to live as well.

San Diego is ok but for the most part very clinical. The zoo is great. If you do go to San Diego, don't go to Tijuana - its a shithole, and the seediest place Ive ever been.

If you are going to anywhere on the West Coast I can recommend good (and a few iffy) hotels. We did a Seattle to San Diego road trip a few years back sticking to the coast road (in a convertible Mustang). There are some stunning places in coastal Oregon and North Cali.

Partly agree. I went to Tijuana as a spare day in San Diego, thought it would be interesting to see a wee bit of Mexico even if it is just over the border so took the bus there and back.

The main street with the arch is safe enough bar the usual pickpockets, but seedy and a complete tourist trap. Pesky shopkeepers, beggars and the like. Guys offering genuine Rolex with 100% discount. Seems many Americans go for prescription drugs as those are offered cheaper than US. North of there is a bit of a dump, red light zone.

It's got some places that are OK, just need to know where to and more importantly where not to go and in general the people seem nice and are protective of the tourists. Wouldn't recommend it however.

I liked Chicago as a city used to have a direct American flight from Glasgow too which got cancelled when American got into financial difficulty and needed the plane elsewhere. Boston too is a cracking place and very European like.

• 1 year later...

I forgot about this. We ended up going to Chicago for five nights before heading over to Vegas.

We thoroughly enjoyed wandering around Chicago, particularly as the weather was scorching. Some great food and drink and the locals were friendly. All in all an interesting city with some great nightlife. I will certainly be back.

We are getting married in May 2016, and are looking to visit four or five US cities over three weeks for the honeymoon.

Vegas is set in stone for the last leg but also looking to add Miami into the mix this time.

• 1 month later...

Considering doing San Francisco - Death Valley - Las Vegas - LA next year around March/April time. Anyone done anything similar who could give me some tips? Not wanting to book anything through any travel agents, so suggestions of any reasonably priced hotels would be good, who to hire a car with etc.

Cheers!

Vegas - here

(Look for my post about the MyVegas app game as you'll get free nights at a choice of MGM properties if you start playing the game now)

San Francisco - here

As for car rental, make sure you have unlimited miles (although you probably won't need them over the duration) and can travel out of state. I'd suggest signing up for Alamo as I use them the most, but like anything, shop around for best price. Many companies are now charging extra for additional drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a small trip to USA. Flying into New York on the 6th June spending 11 nights in the North East then flying to Seattle and got 20 nights to make my way down to L.A. for my flight home. Anyone got any tips?

Seattle - Portland - Yosemite - San Francisco - LA. In that order.