MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

McGregor was able to bring Mendes into his own game in that fight, but if the Aldo fight goes to the ground, I can't see things being quite that easy. If I had to guess, I'd say that's where the fight will end, and it'll be a submission win for Aldo.

Alright guys sorry to be an ignorant c**t is there an equivalent to Sky Box office for MMA fights. Never really watched before but want to start getting into the sport and after watching the build up of McGrogor and reading this thread I really fancy watching this weekends cards.

If you go on UFC.com, click on schedule, then an event it gives you the options to watch it mate.

Most are either on Fight Pass (£7 a month - superb!) or BT Sport over here.

McGregor was able to bring Mendes into his own game in that fight, but if the Aldo fight goes to the ground, I can't see things being quite that easy. If I had to guess, I'd say that's where the fight will end, and it'll be a submission win for Aldo.

I initially thought this but now I'm not so sure. Aldo loves to strike despite his great jits skills. I understand he hasn't faced a striker like McGregor, however he faced Edgar and was quite content with standing up and trading.

Edgar is more predictable than McGregor which is something that Aldo can at least plan for. McGregor is a whole different game and Aldo won't feel comfortable coming against that. He'll want the fight on the ground.

It would seem the most obvious gameplan at first but I remain sceptical. Can't wait either way.

Been watching all the build up videos now, getting pumped for a phenomenal week of MMA matchups.

The contrast is striking between the VLogs of Aldo, McGregor, Weidman and Rockhold. Aldo and his cronies pumped to f**k, smacking shit in the gym still. McGregor all about getting his movement flowing. Weidman doing family and serious stuff. Rockhold being a teenager.

Who's everyone got for the major fights on each card?

Was about to talk about this. Aldo's camp seem absolutely fucking rattled by McGregor and keep talking about Aldo smashing him. One thing you don't want as a fighter, particularly in such a high pressure fight, is your corner so absolutely fired up.

Main fight predictions:

Tonight

Namajunis v VanZant - A fight or two too soon for the rising VanZant, Namajunis will aggressively outmaneuver and kick her to a decision win.

Friday

Edgar v Mendes - Edgar is tough as nails, but I feel Mendes will outwork and out-punish him. Having said that, Mendes can be rocked and finished. Really looking forward to this, hope it doesn't turn into a wrestlefest. Mendes decision or late round TKO.

Saturday

Holloway v Stevens - Easiest pick of the lot, stgraightforward Holloway win by superior striking and movement. 2nd round TKO.

Maia v Nelson - Veteran on the slide versus hungry and wiley up-and-comer. Nelson to overpower Maia to a submission, or by decision.

Souza v Romero - 2nd round TKO.

Weidman v Rockhold - Reasonably straightforward controlled grind to victory for Weidman over an outclassed Rockhold, but hoping for a war. 2nd/3rd round TKO.

Aldo v McGregor - I see this going about 5 different ways. McGregor is a master of adapting on-the-fly, so if he figures out Aldo and his distance early enough then I think he has a very good chance of outstriking and outmoving Aldo and punishing aggression with volleys of leads and counters. If Aldo gets a solid early foothold with leg strikes, explosive engagements and distance, and does damage, then it's a test of McGregor's mental ability to hang in for the long haul with restricted mobility. Outside chance of Aldo looking for takedowns. Can also envisage either man knocking f**k out of the other. Aldo looks fucking ripped, btw. 70%-30% in favour of Aldo overall. McGregor 2nd/3rd round TKO, or Aldo late TKO/decision.

Edited by banana

Main fight predictions:

Tonight

Namajunis v VanZant - A fight or two too soon for the rising VanZant, Namajunis will aggressively outmaneuver and kick her to a decision win.

Friday

Edgar v Mendes - Edgar is tough as nails, but I feel Mendes will outwork and out-punish him. Having said that, Mendes can be rocked and finished. Really looking forward to this, hope it doesn't turn into a wrestlefest. Mendes decision or late round TKO.

Saturday

Holloway v Stevens - Easiest pick of the lot, stgraightforward Holloway win by superior striking and movement. 2nd round TKO.

Maia v Nelson - Veteran on the slide versus hungry and wiley up-and-comer. Nelson to overpower Maia to a submission, or by decision.

Souza v Romero - 2nd round TKO.

Weidman v Rockhold - Reasonably straightforward controlled grind to victory for Weidman over an outclassed Rockhold, but hoping for a war. 2nd/3rd round TKO.

Aldo v McGregor - I see this going about 5 different ways. McGregor is a master of adapting on-the-fly, so if he figures out Aldo and his distance early enough then I think he has a very good chance of outstriking and outmoving Aldo and punishing aggression with volleys of leads and counters. If Aldo gets a solid early foothold with leg strikes, explosive engagements and distance, and does damage, then it's a test of McGregor's mental ability to hang in for the long haul with restricted mobility. Outside chance of Aldo looking for takedowns. Can also envisage either man knocking f**k out of the other. Aldo looks fucking ripped, btw. 70%-30% in favour of Aldo overall. McGregor 2nd/3rd round TKO, or Aldo late TKO/decision.

How I see it:
Namajunas - PVZ - I agree this is a fight too soon for Paige and I think in 2/3/4 years she'll be right at the top (she's 21 now, eh?) but I think her 'pressure' that she's so renouned for will actually get her caught out. I disagree that Rose will kick her to a decision and I actually think she'll get a submission.
Edgar vs Mendes - How tough is this one to call? I just... I don't know. The whole 'two week camp' thing about Mendes is exagerrated... Yes, he wasn't in shape to go 5 rounds but it was about a minute and a half into the Conor fight - after about 5 teep/spin kicks to the body - that Chad started breathing really heavily. He wasn't at 100% but there's no way he gasses that soon... he was outstruck on the feet and Conor was very injured going into that fight. Frankie has been there, done it and (imo) will be there again. Chad has always 'fell short', as he likes to say post-fight. I think it's very, very close but I gotta go with Frankie winning a points decision; which he's exceptional at.
Holloway vs Stevens - Agreed that it's a pretty easy pick. I still want to see Holloway against the top guys though. Conor tore his ligament in the second round against him and still dominated him for the 7 and a half minutes left of the fight, both on the feet and on the ground. I know Max was young and on a (7?) great win streak but I'm still not sure he's a top, top guy. Yet.
Maia vs Nelson - I'm surprised you picked Nelson by submission. Maia has perhaps the best BJJ in MMA and Nelson has nigh on said as much. I actually think Nelson is going to get the TKO... Nelson is easily good enough to be able to avoid bad situations on the deck with Maia (imo) but I think if he gets to a stage he realises Maia is better on the ground he'll desperately spur takedowns and use his vastly superior striking to get the TKO.
Souza vs Romero - All the big fights on these cards are ridiculously difficult to pick but this is literally the only one I'm not leaning one way or the other on. Two absolute beasts... I'm rooting for Romero for some sort of expansion on his 'No for gay Jesus' rant. Which was hilarious.
Weidman vs Rockhold - Completely disagree that this is in ANY way straight forward. Rockhold is top, top drawer and at the absolute peak of his powers. I think Weidman edges it but I'm about 55% sure. I wouldn't be surprised (and am totally hoping for) another epic war ala Lawler and MacDonald, where the champ just does what champs do in the end.
Aldo vs McGregor - It's tough to pick against José Aldo. And anyone who has done so in a decade has been wrong. And the guy is at his absolute peak at 29 years of age. There's just something in the zeitgeist here though... I was more confident in McGregor at 189, weirdly, but as Aldo has had literally two camps preparing for the same guy - and seen that he's hardly the best off his back - then surely the smart money is on Aldo, especially at the odds he is? Having said it, again... I just feel it's McGregor's time. We can analyse Aldo's leg kicks and explosiveness and underrated ground game and heart, or we can analyse McGregor's striking and fluidity and the way he covers distance, his length advantage, his power advantage, hell... even his mind games are going to play a part (yes, during the fight as well) - but at the end of the day? I see this as a 50/50 fight and I just feel like it's McGregor's destiny in a way. That sounds cheesy but every champ and P4P great has his day (Fedor, Anderson... even GSP lost to Hendricks IMO) and I think this is Aldo's time. I would be in no way shocked if he wins in spectacular fashion but I just feel the momentum is on McGregor and Aldo in some way knows that.
f**k it. We'll see, eh? Can't fucking wait.