MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Can't for the life of me work out why people are chosing Nelson over Maia.

Care to expand? As I alluded to, I think that the disparity between their ground game is smaller than the difference on the feet. It's MMA, not BJJ.

On top of an advantage in BJJ Maia has distinctly better wrestling than Nelson. Maia grinds out a decision for me.

Aye... that's a reasonable enough viewpoint and I'm not gonna say you're wrong. At the same time though... Maia isn't getting any younger Nelson is without doubt the superior striker.

But you 'can't think for the life' of you that anyone could pick Nelson?

I've explained my Nelson pick. Regarding the submission, just a feeling that Nelson will be out to prove a point that he can submit someone as decorated on the ground as Maia. If not, then it's a decision via superior striking.

Regarding Rose and her usual submissions, I think Paige is agile and strong enough to keep the fight off the ground, but this will also make her more hesitant/unsure than usual to engage, which will play into Rose's kicking game.

Anyway, all bluster, we're about to find out :)

Edited by banana

I'd say if Nelson is going to try and prove himself on the ground, he'll lose. His best bet is staying on his feet. If he can keep it there, he's got a real shot.

I'm not expecting Nelson to prove himself on the ground by trying to turn it into a complete ground fight, that wouldn't be a good idea. I'm suggesting that he'll look to submit Maia should the opportunity arise, namely after fucking Maia up on the feet first then going for the ground finish.

Decent scrap there with Theodorou and Santos.

Edited by banana

I called the Rose submission but I must admit the biggest thing I took away from that fight was PVZ's heart. I mean... I had no doubt she was an elite fighter and trained like a boss but f**k me, how much heart did she show there?

Rose is the better fighter... as I thought. But honestly, in 3-5 years time PVZ is gonna be a proper beast. She was just outdone by technique tonight but showed as much heart as I've seen by anyone in the Octagon.

Never been so impressed by a loser.

I thought McGregor looked horrendous at the weight. Aldo looked great. That could be the difference.

McGregor always does i think.

Why does he do this stupid lifting of his leg as if he's going to kick his opponent? Why not just staredown as normal and talk shite to him?

Edited by Central

I want McGregor to win but i just can't see past Aldo. For me a lot of people are stupidly underestimating just how good Aldo is. This is a guy who has been champion for 10 years, is the best pound for pound fighter in the world right now and has had basically a whole year to prepare for nothing but this fight while not doing too much promotional work for the fight. I can see him being incredibly focused and controlling the fight from the get go.

I fancied Connor a lot more going into 189 because he was clearly inside Aldo's head and had him rattled like no one else ever has. Even watching the UFC Embedded show on the fight, Aldo's wife was even getting involved in despising McGregor, not to mention thing like Aldo giving McGregor the finger during their face off etc and Aldo clearly didn't enjoy all the extra press tours for that fight, but he's been a lot more low key this time and seems to have his head firmly screwed on this time, which can only be good for Aldo and bad for Connor.

McGregor is a great fighter, and hugely enjoyable and exciting to watch and i will be supporting him for the win, but i'm not convinced he's in Aldo's class and for that reason all my money has went on Aldo in a 4th round stoppage.

PVZ with amazing heart, but totally outclassed by a terminator-like Rose. Had to look away during that armbar attempt, though, jesus f**k.

McGregor looked awful, tired, irritated at weigh-ins, compared to a quite calm and decent looking Aldo. McGregor always looks bad during weigh-ins though, so the main question for me is rehydrating without the IVs.

Rockhold still looks so out of place, especially compared to the calm, confident Weidman.

Did not see the fight ending like that! He'll be shitting himself now that Aldo & McGregor will rematch, such is his luck. Some statement to Dana White.

Barboza v Ferguson was brilliant, best main card fight of the first two cards imo.