MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

9 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

How many folk said he couldn't beat those guys? It's not like he was some underdog. He was favourite in at least two of them. One of them being tonight.

The UFC's a different ball game though

Wait til he meets a top 10 guy though

Wait til he meets a top 5 guy though

Wait til he meets a wrestler though

Wait til he meets Aldo though

Wait til he meets a lightweight though

Wait til he meets a lightweight wrestler though

Wait til he meets Khabib though

Wait til he meets a heavyweight though

Wait til he meets a flamethrower though

How many folk said he couldn't beat those guys? It's not like he was some underdog. He was favourite in at least two of them. One of them being tonight.

You only need to go back to the Mendes fight to see posters I've quoted below, including yourself, on here going against McGregor. At that time in particular alot of folk doubted how good he actually was. I think after absolutely wrecking Aldo any doubt should've ended to be honest.

I think Mendes will have an easier time of this than many think.

Yep, Mendes wins the grappling and the stand up here I think. Hype train about to end.

I fancy a Mendes KO tbh.

Yup. But many of the same folk had Conor over Aldo too. And certainly tonight's fight seen a comfy majority feeling Conor could win. I certainly didn't see a way he could actually lose.

The Mendes and Diaz fights were harder to call and certainly in the case of the latter, that judgment doesn't seem to be that bad given in the one fight they had with a full camp, it was very close.

The Mendes fight is probably the main one where people underestimated his defence on the ground.

Jojo needs another win under her belt before being in the title frame. If a recent loss doesn't matter then arguably Namajunas gets the next shot. Either way there isn't anyone in the strawweight division stopping Joanna just now.

UFC 205, Connor McGregor, "I'd like to apologise, to absolutely NOBODY!" ROFLMFAROCOPTER

Watched the full card this morning.

Stunning KO in the Bisping eliminator, fi the Brazilian fella.

Woodley/Wonderboy, so close, defo rematch material.

McGregor, simply stunning. Alvarez was eating the left all fight, as long as it lasted.

As for Khabib, he'll have to get McGregor on the deck to win. But will Connor take his head off first? He was badly exposed, before putting in some outstanding groundwork to win his fight.

UFC 205, Connor McGregor, "I'd like to apologise, to absolutely NOBODY!" ROFLMFAROCOPTER

Watched the full card this morning.

Stunning KO in the Bisping eliminator, fi the Brazilian fella.

Woodley/Wonderboy, so close, defo rematch material.

McGregor, simply stunning. Alvarez was eating the left all fight, as long as it lasted.

As for Khabib, he'll have to get McGregor on the deck to win. But will Connor take his head off first? He was badly exposed, before putting in some outstanding groundwork to win his fight.

Romero is Cuban not Brazilian.

The Khabib McGregor fight to me is a simple case of who gets there first, ie the left hand or the takedown. Khabib bossed his fight after the first minute but did get badly rocked by Johnson.

Aldo rematch while Khabib fights Ferguson, the winner gets Conor next.

This is probably the best option overall, but best of luck to Dana trying to explain that to Khabib and telling him he's not getting the next shot. That'd be the toughest job in MMA right now :lol: he has the same "holy shit that c**t is fucking terrifying" aura that Sergey Kovalev has.

McGregor's accuracy and judging of distance is amazing. I thought Alvarez might be able to swallow a few lefts and start pressuring him from the third onwards, but the accuracy just destroyed him.

Woodley v Thompson was fight of the night. Amazing entertainment. I had it either a draw or Wonderboy based purely from whether the fourth round was a 10-8 or not which I thought it was. How Thompson survived it I'll never know, especially that guillotine.

We're talking in the post show about giving Jo Jo Calderwood to JJ next. Would be a great opportunity for Jo Jo, but wouldn't fancy her chances much.

Romero's knee to Weidmans head was brutal. Ref not stopping it immediately was ridiculous. Was a cracking fight up to then.

Frankie Edgar looked at least a division smaller than Stephens. Great performance though.

Excellent card all the way through (Tate fight aside). Hopefully 206 matches up.

Khabib will have trouble controlling Conor over 5 rounds if that fight happens. Conor needs his game to work for a lot less. And we've seen how good Conor is at defending so we don't know just how much control Khabib will get.

Bear in mind he's not the only one who has a good shout for a title fight. Ferguson can easily be justified in being annoyed at not being next in line too.

7 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Romero is Cuban not Brazilian.

The Khabib McGregor fight to me is a simple case of who gets there first, ie the left hand or the takedown. Khabib bossed his fight after the first minute but did get badly rocked by Johnson.

My mistake, I'm a relative newcomer to UFC/MMA. Must have been the Ju Jitsu comments being made that caused me to think him Brazilian.

As an aside, & having commented on the associated thread, I think McGregor has got to be in with a shout for the BBC's Overseas SPotY?

Personality, he positively oozes it.

Edited by kiddy