MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

6 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

I think Ferguson gets the shot first for being more active. After Conor has defended the FW title first. 

3 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Khabib has to get the next shot. I don't think McGregor will go back to FW. Khabib has been #1 contender for 2+ years.

44 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Is ferguson not #1 contender ahead of khabib to the notorious ones new belt ? 

35 minutes ago, Christophe said:

There's no official #1s in UFC, they'll put in who they want. The rankings are done by a media panel.

They did show a rankings list before the main event, Ferguson was #1, Khabib #2.

52 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Not interested in UFC. If I wanted to see some malourished tosser in a tricolour fighting then I'd get a taxi to Coatbridge.

Congratulations on your trolling and making shit posts for a reaction. If u don't like mma then as the good posters above said , f**k off back to the boxing thread and post your bigoted drivel on that

I've never understood the way some MMA and Boxing fans like to hate on the other sport. Obviously they share a couple or similarities but it's like football fans and fucking handball fans trolling each other.

On 12/11/2016 at 14:42, Armand 2 said:

First card in my new gaff so looking forward to it.

Unless McGregor can get Alvarez out of there in the first round or two, I expect Alvarez to prevail. McGregor seems to have riled him up slightly but I can't ever recall Alvarez getting finished at lightweight, he's a tough nut and he'll stay in there. If McGregor hasn't rectified those endurance issues that he encountered against Diaz, it could be a long night for him.

Woodley v. Wonderboy is a cool clash of styles. Not sure which way it'll go. 

I thought Kowalkiewicz looked decent enough against Namajunas, didn't think she was anything spectacular though. Jedrzejczyk is a totally different kettle of fish and I expect her to run through Kowalkiewicz.

Weidman v. Romero is an interesting fight too. Got to wonder whether ring rust will come into it for either of them though.Think I'd edge towards Weidman but not by much.

MIchael Johnson looked great against Poirier but Nurmagomedov is the man of the moment, don't see him losing. Scary guy at that weight.

Gastelum should be banned from fighting at 170. A nonsense. Disappointing not to see Cerrone on the card, always entertaining. A tear up with Matt Brown sounds great though.

The weigh-ins were worth watching last night if only to see Tate and Chookagian get their kit off.

Fancied McGregor inside the first two rounds but never expected him to be quite as dominant as he was. I think his bluster sometimes detracts from the fact he's a fantastic fighter and is mesmerising to watch. Alvarez looked awestruck and as soon as the first left hand landed, he was on the slide.

I don't know how long McGregor intends to spend out of the octagon now that his missus is pregnant but it can't be for terribly long. I like the idea of Nurmagomedov v. Ferguson in an eliminator - wouldn't fancy informing Khabib of that news though. Don't know about anyone else but Rogan conducting the interview with his wig on, looking slightly dumbfounded by Nurmagomedov's ramblings was hilarious.

I watched the event with one of my pals and we both couldn't understand the result of the Woodley/Wonderboy fight when it was announced - blatantly a majority draw. Quite unprofessional and no doubt a source of embarrassment. Buffer is just a robot but surely to Christ, considering the number of fights he's called, he looked at the card and thought "hold on a second".

As for the fight itself, I thought Woodley fought a very strange fight. Standing with his back against the cage was an odd tactic against someone with the prowess of Thompson. I had him dominantly winning the first and fourth - whether either was a 10-8 is up for debate. Thompson showed incredible resilience to fend Woodley off in the fourth and then finish the round on top. I had Thompson winning the fifth, and I thought the second and third were swing rounds from memory. At the time, I had Woodley just shading it but a draw was a fair result. Immediate rematch, I would think.

Jedrezejczyk v. Kowalkiewicz lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. Kowalkiewicz isn't the most refined fighter but she's a tough cookie. It wasn't Jedrezejczyk's best performance but she was the clear winner.

Romero's flying knee was brutal. His wrestling and grappling is up there with the best in the game and with that kind of explosive striking, he's a dangerous fight for Bisping. Still got no idea what he said in the post-fight interview though despite the translations from his very sleazy looking, top-knotted pal.

Michael Johnson is one tough fucker - he wasn't tapping to that kimura. Like Rogan said, I was watching it praying that he tapped. Was just waiting for the pop like Big Nog. He had Nurmagomedov on shaky ground in that first round though but once it was on the ground, it was a mauling. I think I've only ever seen one case of a team throwing in the towel during a round (Nate Diaz v. Josh Thompson) but the punishment Johnson was taking in the third warranted it.

Glad that Tate has decided to retire. Too pretty to take beatings like that. The game has evolved and she's been left behind slightly. Great that she managed to win the title before finishing but it's the correct decision. Got a feeling that Rousey won't be too far behind her.

16 hours ago, kiddy said:

They did show a rankings list before the main event, Ferguson was #1, Khabib #2.

Yes, that's the rankings done by a media panel, they will do what they want with title shots regardless. I'm not saying anything new here, maybe you will accept it if I reiterate it though

As for the "majority draw" palaver, just astonishing that was allowed to be called! It's hardly a recent change or something, how could that be missed? 

I noticed also that the two judges who scored 10-8s for Woodley did so in different rounds, 1&4...neither were for me.

Edited by Christophe

Just the 8hours of UFC on TV this Saturday, Fight night in Belfast then another fight night in Brazil straight after.

Pearson vs Stevie Ray probably the highlight for me, McCall vs Seery and Lobov vs Ishihara are the others that have caught the eye.
Bader vs Nogueira is such a poor main event. The whole LHW Division is terrible at the moment.

Yeah São Paulo card not the greatest but Almeida vs Morales and Alves vs Usman are intriguing enough. Horiguchi vs Bagautinov and Kevin Lee vs Mustafaev looking good on the Belfast prelims too. Decent enough card to be made between the two events! 

John Kavanagh saying on the MMA Hour that he thinks Holloway is next best at FW, Nate Diaz at LW!

Holloway I suppose you could make a case for over Aldo, but Diaz over Khabib, RDA, Ferguson? Nah.

Also not ruling out a shot at WW, saying although e.g. Woodley is bigger, Conor has him skill wise. Conor v Wonderboy, can you imagine.

Holloway has been on a tear but Aldo is interim champ so Kavanagh making zero sense there. 

Well he's got a guy to number one in two weight classes, and Conor has faced both men. He's in a better position as almost anyone to speak knowledgeably on the subject, but there does seem to be a bit of who Conor has had most trouble with.

Holloway outmanouvering Aldo to a decision isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

12 hours ago, Christophe said:

Artem Lobov is an absolute imposter btw, can't believe he's fluked his way to a UFC career. Expecting him to be found out very soon.

He's essentially the UFC equivalent of Jonathon Wilkes. Gets on all those celebrity charity football matches purely because he's Robbie Williams mate, just as Artem has got to the biggest company in MMA purely because he's Conor's sparring partner.