MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Great show, only saw Larkin-Carmont, the Jury KO and then the main card but it was very good.

I scored the main event 48-47 for Henderson, but it could really have gone anyway. Melendez won the first two definitely, Henderson won the 4th and 5th definitely and the third was very, very close. I think a split was about right if that makes sense. Melendez looked much better than I thought he would, he was certainly a match for Henderson on the feet and his takedown defence was excellent. Henderson grew into the fight as it continued. Rogan was doing my head in here, I thought Henderson would win and wanted him to do so but Rogan was so biased in his favour it was unreal. His insistence on calling him "the champ" was infuriating, and he seemed to be wanting Melendez to have to dominate convincingly to win rounds. Henderson had no answer for Melendez in the first two rounds and Rogan starts talking about a momentum shift? Henderson always delivers for the UFC, they must loving having him on Fox, although that will be aided by him lacking drawing power. I would like a rematch here but I'm not sure we'll get one.

Mir looked terrible against Cormier, although I don't think the win will do much for Cormier either. He dominated but it wasn't particularly exciting or impressive. Mir's gameplan was terrible, although he seems to realise he's overmatched and basically give up in a lot of fights. Cormier's the boy, shame he won't fight Cain as that would make a lot of sense for the next title fight.

Thomson did to Diaz what I thought he might do. Mix it up against the Diaz brothers and keep moving and they are pretty ineffective. Thomson is hugely underrated (perhaps he won't be any more) and I picked him to win here. Some of those head kicks were awesome. I think he needs to be considered one of the top contendors now, the winner of Maynard/Grant or something would make sense for him next. As for Diaz, lower top 10 is his level, although I heard he may go back up to 170. He'll get bitched there so that pleases me.

Brown/Mein was insane for the time it lasted, the first round was one of the best of the year so far. I think it was a bit optimistic for Mein to step in here on reasonably short notice and it was a fair old step up. Brown's got to get a top 10 fight now you'd imagine, Robbie Lawler would be a war and I'd like to see that one.

Larkin got robbed, WTF was that decision? Biased as I had money on him perhaps but I scored it 30-27 for Larkin. He certainly won the first two rounds. Carmont offered f**k all.

The prelims.

TJ Dillashaw vs. Hugo Viana

That was a magnificent four minutes right there. Viana was dangerous as f**k and always looked the more likely to get the KO, but as Rogan was pointing out, he left himself wide open. The shots that brought Viana down were incredible. I loved the way that Dillashaw took the back early in the fight as well. That was a cracker.

Tim Means vs. Jorge Masvidal

Thought this was a cracking fight. I had it in the favour of Masvidal as well. Means was busy the whole fight, but Masvidal was a lot more clinical in what he was doing. Means looked dangerous with the left hand a few times though and his final round was good. I'd give the first two to Masvidal though.

Joseph Benavidez vs. Darren Uyenoyama

That was actually a fucking disgusting performance from Uyenoyama. From the first seconds, all he did was try and not get hit. That was his tactic. Runaway. He's supposed to be decent on the ground and if he really was then there were moments that he could have done something. He probably could have if he wasn't completely shitting it from the word go. Hope he gets cut after that.

Ramsey Nijem vs. Myles Jury

JESUS!!! That's a KO and a half right there. Very impressive from Jury. I was impressed by both guys in this fight. Nijem isn't exactly graceful but he's very good on the ground. Both he and Jury put on a cracking first round. Then the second round came along and Jury landed that HUGE right hand.

Clifford Starks vs. Yoel Romero

Enjoyable KO from Romero there. Not much else to be said because the minute before that happened was pretty boring.

Francis Carmont vs. Lorenz Larkin

Wasn't all that big a fan of this fight. Larkin looked not bad at times. I don't know what it was about Carmont. I just hated watching him.

Chad Mendes vs. Darren Elkins

Chad Mendes was an absolute beast here. I thought Elkins was a bit reckless here and after Rogan noting that earlier from Nijem, I thought he'd have said something about it here. I still don't think he's anywhere near good enough to get a win over Aldo of course. His best hope is Aldo moving up a division.

Anthony Njokuani vs. Roger Bowling

WONDERFUL left hand from Njokuani. I actually thought Bowling had the better of the standup exchanges before that point. Njokuani seemed to be very explosive at times though, and he timed that left hand perfectly. There's been some cracking examples of punching on this show so far.

Right, the main show.

Jordan Mein vs. Matt Brown

Hot damn, that was an impressive fight from both guys. Mein was a trooper the whole way. There were many times that he looked rocked and he just came out and smashed Brown to come back into things. The finishing sequence of strikes was just vile stuff from Brown. Mein still continued like a crazy when he got his nose broken. You can't help but admire that.

Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson

Pre-show, this was one of the fights that really stood out to me as a cracker. It wasn't the impressive fight that I was thinking it was going to be, but that was because Thomson played it brilliantly. I don't know why I didn't have faith in Thomson in this one, because he's clearly an excellent fighter, and someone to keep an eye on. Now that he's won this fight, I want Melendez to win the main event.

Frank Mir vs. Daniel Cormier

Cormier is a funny looking fellow. He's like a ball. Some good solid stuff from Cormier. At times it felt as if he was looking to grind out a decision. Frank Mir looked much better in the third round, but he clearly wasn't good enough to do the business in this fight. The sooner he gets cut the better.

Benson Henderson © vs. Gilbert Melendez - UFC Lightweight Championship

I'll be honest. I had no idea how to score that. The final round was really anyone's, and I had it at 38-38 before that. The crowd didn't like it, rather understandably given they were pro-Melendez. Don't know what gave Bendo the idea to propose in front of that crowd. The fight itself was really engaging stuff. Enjoyed it.

Thomson's gameplan was brilliant, as opposed to Nate Diaz who has no plan b and clearly doesn't belong in the top five in this division (and he sure as hell aint going to get near that level at WW so not sure where he goes from here)

So it's a Maynard-Grant eliminator for the next shot at Bendo, bit underwhelming. Would have preferred something like Melendez-Pettis if Pettis loses the Aldo fight.

Finally caught up with the TUF Finale and Saturday's UFC.

Tate v Zigano was brilliant, perhaps my Fight of the Year so far. That's both of the UFC women's fights been tremendous entertainment, more please! Reckon Zigano can take Roussey if she can stay away from the submissions. Strong as hell, though took a while to get into gear. Felt sorry for Tate, absolute warrior.

Gastelum's massive heart and aggression gives him that well deserved win against Hall, though it was super-close. Hall needs to drop the showboating crap.

Browne v Gonzaga - hilarious KO, but beating Gab doesn't really tell us that much.

Melendez v Henderson - had Melendez 3-2 ahead, 1st, 2nd and 5th. Henderson is a fcuking infuriating fighter to watch, spending half the time tending to his hair. Cut that shit and concentrate on the fight :)

Cormier was uninspiring, Mir hopeless. I don't know where Mir goes from here. Both this and the Browne v Gonzaga fights underlines for me that Cain and Junior are miles ahead of everyone else in the division.

Thomson was awesome. More, please.

Ross Pearson's pushing for a fight with Thomson in a five rounder over here. That'd be great.

Maynard/Grant winner getting the next shot is a strange one for me, Grant's winning but against midcard guys, Maynard would be his one big win. If Maynard wins he'd have won just 2 of his last 4, as it is it's 1 of 3. Not like either are going to draw massively either. I suppose they don't really have many options, which is weird given how 155 looked around 18-24 months ago. Aldo-Pettis is probably the best fight they've got booked at the moment but it should really be Bendo-Pettis and Aldo-Lamas up next.

Is anyone else keeping an eye on the media call? Chael Sonnen has been, even considering TUF, very kind to Jones. He even went as far as to say this...

"If Anderson and Jon are that close of a challenge, than i will run through him, but i don't think Jones is the same."

Is he basically saying Jones is gonna beast him?