MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Aye, he can't help himself with the Brazilians.

Interesting stuff from Jones saying he's looking for the super fights, if he gets through this defence and then one more to break the record for title defences in the LHW division.

If Jon Jones was fighting Cain Velasquez at HW this weekend I'd pick Jones to beat him.

If they fought this weekend, I'd put my imaginary house on Cain going through him like a train, a right royal beasting. No doubt whatsoever. It surprises me just how little respect Cain gets relative to the other big names in MMA.

Silva v Jones is what most of the MMA world wants to see while they're both in good shape, hope to fcuk it happens.

Edited by banana

If they fought this weekend, I'd put my imaginary house on Cain going through him like a train, a right royal beasting. No doubt whatsoever. It surprises me just how little respect Cain gets relative to the other big names in MMA.

Indeed. There isn't a guy in the heavyweight division that he wouldn't beat 9 times out of 10. He was just unfortunate that JDS got that one time early doors.

The one advantage Cain has over Jones is his wrestling, and Jones is no slouch when it comes to that area of the sport as he showcased against Rashad and as I expect him to showcase against Chael on Saturday night. Jones is a better striker, he's faster, has a longer reach and has better submissions. People go on about Cain's cardio, which is impressive, but there's nothing to suggest Jones couldn't match him in that area. He got stronger and stronger as the Rampage fight progressed and he was still making Rashad look stupid for all 25 minutes of their fight. Even the weight, Jones is currently 217lbs, and that's with a cut to make 205 on Friday. Even without putting on some more mass for HW, he'd be giving up at most 10lbs to Cain.

Is anybody giving Chael a chance tomorrow night? I don't think he'll see the end of the second round but I've been watching/listening to quite a lot of stuff this week and can't wait for this show now. Chael's the man, some of the promotional stuff this week has been solid gold. Any chance to see Jones fight should be relished as well. Bisping's a bit of a w**k but he's always good to watch, him and Belcher will be interesting.

Bisping will either make Belcher look silly for three rounds or KO him in the second or third.

I don't give Sonnen a chance, but as usual, I'll be rooting for the man. I have no problems with dickheads so long as they carry it well.

Bisping will either make Belcher look silly for three rounds or KO him in the second or third.

I don't give Sonnen a chance, but as usual, I'll be rooting for the man. I have no problems with dickheads so long as they carry it well.

Bisping and Belcher is for the title of chief gatekeeper in the division. Belcher looked notably bigger than Bisping at the press conference yesterday. If Bisping loses this one then he's on the slide big time.

I hope Sonnen does well.

There was talk when they were cutting loads of people that Bisping's head could be on the block given he's one of the highest paid guys in the company and, as you say, he's essentially a gatekeeper to the stars. Shouldn't be a problem tomorrow, I think he'll knock Belcher out in 2 or 3.

Can't see Sonnen doing anything against Jones. I don't think he's physically strong enough against Jones to make any ground game he does manage to get actually pay off.

Jones TKO by the 2nd round.

Edited by banana

Anybody else fancy Magalhaes tomorrow?

Nah, I think a lot of people are sleeping on Davis at 205, granted he hasn't done a whole lot since 2011 due to a shit performance against Rashad then some bad luck with how the Prado fight turned out, but his record is impressive and there's no doubt he's top 10. Magalhaes can possibly submit him but I don't see it happening.

I can see Vinny submitting him if it goes to the ground. I clocked him at 5/2 and it seems a very good bet. Pat Healy is also 5/2 aswell.

I am about to submit my squad for the ESPN UFC Fantasy Fighter for this week, contemplating sticking Khabilov in as my champion.

Being from a jujitsu background, I like Magalhaes and I hope he gets Davis down and submits him or does what Maia done to Fitch and thoroughly dominates him.

I think Magalhaes break away from the UFC will have done him the world of good and made him a bit wiser with respect to the striking game. He relied on his jiu jitsu too much when he was in TUF as he was light years ahead of the rest on that discipline and it served him well but I think he'll have added to it.

Davis to me is a top 5 guy in that division, aside from getting thoroughly dominated by Rashad he's done nothing but impress in the UFC. Magalhaes' biggest win is Mikhail Zayats? I don't think he's got the MMA credentials to be in there with a guy like Davis, despite his incredible grappling background.