MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Uriah Faber was getting battered by Renan Barao and gave a thumbs up and the ref still stopped it. Just because you are still conscious enough to give a thumbs up doesn't mean you aren't taking too many shots.

Watch Magny/Lombard again. Marc Goddard is in the background with his head in his hands.

Hopefully he is stripped then. The FW division is just being held up otherwise.

I don't mind Conor wanting that fight at all since he obviously has a lot to prove but if he's fighting at 170 there's just no chance of him moving back down any time this year if ever again. I don't expect to see him at FW anyway.

He's never going to be stripped of the title by the UFC. As Dana openly said at one of the Diaz pre fight conferences, Conor gets to decide to do whatever he wants these days. 

I'm sure the UFC will be fully on board with it. 

There is rumblings of a fight between Aldo and Edgar for an interim belt, but that would be wrong in my opinion. Firstly because there shouldn't be an interim title for a belt held by a non injured champion, and secondly because Edgar would make relative pennies from that fight and maybe end up without a title shot on top of that.

I don't see even Conor McGregor being allowed to hold a belt for 15+ months without a defence while he's fighting in other weight classes multiple times.

Yup. Conor is pretty close to being stripped I'd say. Pretty hard for UFC to strip him this time seeing as they were the ones who pushed for this fight though. Although Conor taking it at 170 shows how wrapped up in his own hype he is as well.

Minters all round.

If he fights in November against Edgar then that will make it 11 months between title fights at 145lbs, which when compared to multiple previous champions isn't a massive time frame, so i don't see anyone at the UFC being prepared to strip him of the title just yet.

Jose Aldo, the only previous UFC champion at that weight would regularly go a year between title defences, while the UFC practically begged for Holly Holm to wait a whole year to fight Ronda Rousey in a rematch rather than take the fight against Meisha Tate, and there's numerous examples of other champions doing the same.

It's only more noticeable with Conor because he's one of the most active fighters on the roster and will be having two other fights in that time not at 145lbs, but if he was just a regular fighter who didn't love to fight so much then no one would bat an eyelid if everyone knew that the title defence wasn't going to be defended for 11 months.

If he fights in November. He'll struggle more than usual - which was considerably - to cut down to 145 again. November seems very soon in relative terms after fighting at 170.

The main point is that he's putting title defences on hold to take non title fights in different weight classes. It's not on from a competitive point of view but clearly will sell very well.

Where you seeing this? I've not seen any different news since it was first rumoured.

Really can't see it at 170 btw.

Ariel Helwani, who's usually pretty accurate with his rumours.

If he fights in November. He'll struggle more than usual - which was considerably - to cut down to 145 again. November seems very soon in relative terms after fighting at 170.

The main point is that he's putting title defences on hold to take non title fights in different weight classes. It's not on from a competitive point of view but clearly will sell very well.

McGregor's walking around weight is around 165-170lbs and he usually fights every three months or so so he'll have no problem cutting weight between July and November.

That is just how the sport is heading right now, mostly due to McGregor over the past few years. I'm okay with The Diaz fight at UFC 200 though. It's a marquee event and Frankie Edgar just isn't a huge draw when it comes to his other fights, and also in terms of pre fight promotion compared to a Nate Diaz. 

Diaz is a superstar right now and if he went and lost to a Dos Anjos or Lawlor in his next fight then that superstardom would be all but over already, so it makes sense to capitalise on it.

It's a tough line in the PPV business between sporting integrity and selling fights to maintain your business, so if i'm the UFC i have no problem with someone waiting 11 months to defend their title in order to make hundreds of millions of dollars over two McGregor vs Diaz fights beforehand.

There is no way I can be okay with UFC fucking over an entire weight category for what is basically a meaningless fight. If Conor wins it doesn't mean much. If Diaz wins, he's in the same boat as he was after the Conor win. If Conor loses he goes back and defends his title, which is what he should have been doing in the first place.

It's a complete nothing fight. And that's what the likes of Edgar and Aldo are being fucked over for.

We're going beyond UFC being sports now. They call WWE sports entertainment when in reality, that's exactly the tag that should be put on UFC.

There is no way I can be okay with UFC fucking over an entire weight category for what is basically a meaningless fight. If Conor wins it doesn't mean much. If Diaz wins, he's in the same boat as he was after the Conor win. If Conor loses he goes back and defends his title, which is what he should have been doing in the first place.

It's a complete nothing fight. And that's what the likes of Edgar and Aldo are being fucked over for.

We're going beyond UFC being sports now. They call WWE sports entertainment when in reality, that's exactly the tag that should be put on UFC.

That's just how it is though.The sport is about money, not just for the UFC but for the fighters. McGregor makes money regardless but Diaz will have made more in less than half a year than he's made in his whole career combined by these two fights, and  I'm sure if you ask Edgar he'd rather make 7 figures or at least close to it by fighting McGregor in a huge PPV event than making less than £100k by fighting Aldo main eventing a Fox Sports fight night which is exactly where that fight ends up.

If you draw money for the UFC then you have the power. Right now McGregor and Diaz have all the power in the world and they both want to fight each other again as they know that it's the biggest payday out there for them, and the UFC isn't going to say no to that amount of money.

Everyone comes out of this happy. The UFC, McGregor and Diaz, the fans who will make it the most bought PPV in history. The only people who could arguably be unhappy about it is Edgar and Aldo, but as i said they aren't huge draws and there's a reason they both want to fight McGregor so badly and not one of them has mentioned stripping him of the title so they can fight each other, and that's because they want as much money as possible first and foremost before thinking about winning the title.

If anyone should be calling for McGregor to be stripped of his title it's Aldo who is considered second in line for a title shot, yet even this week after the Diaz fight is all but confirmed he is still tweeting begging McGregor for the fight at UFC 200.

Money talks at all levels of the sport, and that includes the level that Frankie Edgar is at, so i'm not going to shed any tears over him becoming a millionaire when he gets the fight later in the year.

I'd question how much McGregor wanted the fight, or even Diaz, until the idea came up. Diaz was talking about Lawler and McGregor was talking about 145 title fights. Then two things happen. 1) UFC 196 gets 1.5 million buys and right after 2) this fight is looking certain.

I can see why McGregor would want the fight from a competitive standpoint with more time to think about it. He has a loss at 170 against Diaz and wants to avenge it. So offered the fight, that's why he'd say "make it 170". I'd also assume that another reason he'd want the fight away from 155 is because it'd hurt his chances of getting a shot at RDA in the future if he lost there. In this scenario, he could lose, go back and successfully defend his 145 and then still be in line for the shot that he was going to get.

I question if Edgar is going to wait btw. That's a long layoff and I can't see him taking a title fight in that scenario. Aldo/Edgar on 200 is something I haven't seen mentioned, but it's definitely possible I think.

I'd question how much McGregor wanted the fight, or even Diaz, until the idea came up. Diaz was talking about Lawler and McGregor was talking about 145 title fights. Then two things happen. 1) UFC 196 gets 1.5 million buys and right after 2) this fight is looking certain.

I can see why McGregor would want the fight from a competitive standpoint with more time to think about it. He has a loss at 170 against Diaz and wants to avenge it. So offered the fight, that's why he'd say "make it 170". I'd also assume that another reason he'd want the fight away from 155 is because it'd hurt his chances of getting a shot at RDA in the future if he lost there. In this scenario, he could lose, go back and successfully defend his 145 and then still be in line for the shot that he was going to get.

I question if Edgar is going to wait btw. That's a long layoff and I can't see him taking a title fight in that scenario. Aldo/Edgar on 200 is something I haven't seen mentioned, but it's definitely possible I think.

That's exactly why McGregor wants the fight. His loss against Joe Duffy from his cage warriors days still haunts him enough that he'd fight him tomorrow if he had the chance to avenge it. Diaz said straight after the fight when asked who he wanted next that he only wants to fight whoever will make him the most money. I doubt he even considered a rematch straight after that fight considering how it ended, but there's no question the fight that gives him the most money and more money than he's ever made in his life would be McGregor at UFC 200.

If i was Edgar i would run as far away from an Aldo fight at 200 as possible. He's already lost to him unanimously at UFC 156 and there is absolutely nothing to gain from a non title/interim title fight against Aldo, and absolutely everything to lose with regards to his deserved title shot and the biggest payday of his career.

November is only another 4 months after UFC 200 so if i was Edgar i would probably be willing to wait, especially if i'm just recovered from an injury layoff like he has been.

McGregor v Diaz @ 170 headlining UFC 200, confirmed. McGregor apparently demanded 170 rather than 155. I hope he gets knocked the f**k out.

Aldo v Edgar interim @ 145, McGregor's next fight is against the winner of that.

Rest here, updating as more are confirmed: http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC200

Edited by banana