MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Kinda goes to show how bloody powerful big Anthony Johnson is/was. Gus spent several rounds smashing Tex up but he somehow like the gritty fucker he is kept going.

Anyone else think that Aldo at 4/5 is basically just free money?

My friend is arguing the case for Holloway but I don't think it'll even be close.

Aldo 50-45 or 49-46 if he coasts the last round or two as he's been known to do in the past.

My friend is arguing the case for Holloway but I don't think it'll even be close.

Aldo 50-45 or 49-46 if he coasts the last round or two as he's been known to do in the past.

As I discussed with you before I have a feeling that Holloway is going to win it. He's a truly special talent with an amazing ability to adjust his game to whomever he is fighting. But as it gets closer to the actual event I'm starting to have my doubts, coz Aldo. It's certainly not free money but it's not a bad bet.

10 hours ago, BradHorse said:

I'm favouring Holloway by decision. He has a very tricky style to finish and I reckon he stays in it and out performs a tiring Aldo in the championship rounds to take it.

the card is decent enough I think...Sapato Spicely is a good match up on the prelims, will be good to see what Moraes can do and excited to see Borrachinha and Bamgbose knock lumps out of each other...Judo Jim needing a result on the fight pass prelims too or he still probably getting his pansy potters.

Edited by Christophe

See, I'm conscious of the fact that I was chanting Pettis's name before the Max fight and we all know how that turned out. In fairness Pettis had a horrible weight cut and broke his hand early though.

What is Max's best win? Would you guys favour Max over Edgar and Mendes? I just don't think he's in Aldo's league. People have really shit on Aldo since the Conor loss but he looked as good as he has in years at 200 vs. Edgar.

I got Aldo all day. I don't think it'll even be close. My pal keeps going on about Holloway's height but he only has a 69 inch reach (to Aldo's 70).

I'm setting my self up for another public outing of my shit prediction skills but I'm really sure of this one. Aldo is just a level above imo.

Swanson, Oliveria, Stephens and Pettis are all huge scalps. They're not Edgar or Mendes granted, but you just cannot deny his talents. I probably would've liked to have seen him face Edgar before Aldo so could truly judge his credentials but every test he's faced he's absolutely aced.

I think you're fair regarding people shitting on Aldo. Outside of one catastrophic loss he's been unstoppable. At the very least I reckon it'll be a close fight and if Holloway doesn't unify the belt now he'll get it sooner rather than later.

See, I don't think he has 'aced' his tests. He's the guy that wins 29-28 on the scorecards. It's not similar to Conor who was knocking everyone out on his way up the ranks (ironically aside from Max who he just dominated 30-27, 30-27, 30-26). The Stephens fight I rewatched as I was steaming that night and he definitely won, but not by a great margin or anything. The Lamas fight was very similar... Max definitely earned the decision but it was hardly like Lamas was schooled or anything.

Oliveira before that got a freak collar bone injury and the fight was stopped in under a minute or so due to nothing Max did.

As I mentioned, Pettis suffered a broken hand after an absolutely awful weight cut. What are Max's top wins? And if they're these ones, I'm just simply not impressed. 

Aldo will take him to school. I have zero doubt.

It isn't fair to make him comparable to McGregor. McGregor is 1) Big as f**k for featherweight and 2) Arguably one of the all time P4P. From memory he soundly beat Lamas every single round, although for some mad reason decided to have his dangerous "LETS BANG BRO" at the very end. Choking out Swanson is very very impressive. He beat Stephens fairly comfortably even if it wasn't the most flashy or pretty performance. After the Oliveira fight the UFC confirmed that no major injury was confirmed so possibly he pussied out. Pettis win granted is a bit up for debate considering he had no business being at that weight and looks a shadow of his former self. 

The thing about Holloway is he is unlikely to ever be a big KO artist. He doesn't have the power. He does however has a fantastic fully rounded skill set that lets him adjust to each opponent. Luke Thomas did a whole video talking about this, basically saying most fighters have a good A game, a decent enough B game and maybe a C if lucky. Whereas the very best have a way of adjusting to whomever they face and Holloway has that in him. The difference being with Aldo over others (McGregor excepted) he has faced is that absolute flawless technique and power of Jose. It really depends on how he deals with Aldo chopping his legs off or if he can dodge his excellent boxing. 

Why isn't it fair to compare him to McGregor? Who else has beat Aldo? 

I'm not saying you or indeed anyone else are stupid for thinking Max can win, I see the case based on his previous performances. I just think he really isn't anywhere near Aldo's level. 

How would you rank the top 5 featherweights if everyone is fit and healthy and still in the division mrcat? For me it would be:

1. McGregor

2. Aldo

3. Edgar

4. Mendes

5. Holloway

I don't think anyone could reasonably argue with that order based on performances and results? No? 

And as for the Oliveira fight I can remember that one clearly. If the UFC did say that no major injury occurred they were simply lying. The man crumbled and I'm pretty sure it was a snapped collar bone and it wasn't even a fight. 

I'm once again setting myself up for a fall if Holloway wins and I'll look like a tit but I just can't see it. He's not on Aldo's level. He's not even that close. Aldo's hands are *so* fast and his leg kicks are brutal. Standing, there is no area that Holloway is better than him. And Aldo got his BJJ black belt literally 10 years ago, so I doubt he'd have any luck there either. And Aldo has the best take down defence I've ever seen. Aldo is phenomenal; Holloway is just very good. That's the difference.

Holloway is way way better than you think. In a five round fight I can see him taking a close decision here maybe even getting a late stoppage. Since he went 3 rounds with McGregor!, He's won every fight and literally looked better every single time.

2 hours ago, BradHorse said:

Why isn't it fair to compare him to McGregor? Who else has beat Aldo? 

I don't think the comparison was fair in reference to your statement that Holloway hasn't "aced" his way to the title because he hasn't been knocking everyone out like Conor. Absolutely no fighter in recent memory decimated every single person up to and including the title fight in the manner in which McGregor did. Not even Jon Jones. Quite simply McGregor is on a whole different level to all those around him. 

The only thing I would change in that top five is probably Holloway above Mendes. Simply because Mendes is a juice freak. Edgar gets the nod at present on basis of his history but I would give Holloway a chance over him as well. 

The thing is I don't disagree with your point that Aldo maybe a step too far for Holloway. Technically Aldo is the better fighter but I feel you're maybe being harsh on Holloway and I just have an inkling he may just do it. 

1 hour ago, mrcat1990 said:

I don't think the comparison was fair in reference to your statement that Holloway hasn't "aced" his way to the title because he hasn't been knocking everyone out like Conor. Absolutely no fighter in recent memory decimated every single person up to and including the title fight in the manner in which McGregor did. Not even Jon Jones. Quite simply McGregor is on a whole different level to all those around him. 

The only thing I would change in that top five is probably Holloway above Mendes. Simply because Mendes is a juice freak. Edgar gets the nod at present on basis of his history but I would give Holloway a chance over him as well. 

The thing is I don't disagree with your point that Aldo maybe a step too far for Holloway. Technically Aldo is the better fighter but I feel you're maybe being harsh on Holloway and I just have an inkling he may just do it. 

Very fair point re. McGregor just beasting people. But.. maybe someone *that* good is what it takes to beat Aldo, you know? If you wanna take a shot at the king, you best not miss.

Fisherman - I think you're right in saying that Holloway is better than I think he is. I'd vehemently disagree with him "literally looking better every time" though. I've mentioned my thoughts on his most recent fights... wasn't that impressed.

I was impressed to the point where I think he is undeniably the 4th or 5th best fighter who can weigh in at 145lbs in the world. But that's it. That's the limit.

Also I think Mendes would absolutely destroy him. Mendes was/is really, really good. He'd wrestle and GnP Holloway into oblivion imo.

I know I'm being contrary lads and I honestly respect and appreciate your opinions but I just don't buy the Max hype. I'm fucking skint the now but if I had decent capital to work with I'd go big on Aldo.