MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

This was the worst event I've been to (in 15). I'll say more when I'm in front of a keyboard and not on my phone, but that crowd was embarrassing and the fights pretty underwhelming.

On the plus side I'm now sitting in the Crowne Plaza surrounded by fighters, Sean Shelby, Marc Ratner, the Octagon girls......and Christie Elliot.

24 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Any truth to the rumours that Lesnar's reentered the testing pool so he can run out his suspension and come back next year?

There's a good chance that's true. Seems he'll be keeping his options open once his WWE deal is up after WrestleMania. 

Apparently Miocic vs Velasquez is headlining 216. Yeah I'll believe that when I see them stand across from each other in the octagon :lol:.

What we thinking for Saturday then? Is Gastelum really the real deal after knocking out a couple of guys that were well past it. I'm thinking this is a decent fight for Weidman. 

Elkins takedown defense is shocking so I'd imagine he spends most of the fight on his back again, doubt he's pulling off a miracle comeback this time.

I fancy Villante to keep the fight on the feet and TKO Cummins but that fight is probably one of, if not the closest fight on the card. If Cummins can get even one explosive takedown though it's a game changer.

Almeida has power but hard to see past another decision victory for Jimmie Rivera.

What we thinking for Saturday then? Is Gastelum really the real deal after knocking out a couple of guys that were well past it. I'm thinking this is a decent fight for Weidman. 
Elkins takedown defense is shocking so I'd imagine he spends most of the fight on his back again, doubt he's pulling off a miracle comeback this time.
I fancy Villante to keep the fight on the feet and TKO Cummins but that fight is probably one of, if not the closest fight on the card. If Cummins can get even one explosive takedown though it's a game changer.
Almeida has power but hard to see past another decision victory for Jimmie Rivera.

Hard to argue with any of that, can't trust Bermudez' chin and anything could happen in the Villante Cummins fight, Villante should be able to outstrike him but he's got terrible cardio and can get ko'd himself if he doesn't end it in the 1st.

I like Gastelum mainly as Weidman gasses out after 1 round and Kelvin has probably the best cardio in the division. Don't think I'll have a bet on it though. Quite a few guys in the prelims that I like, Burgos and Kennedy for example, Burgos looked amazing last time out and should finish Pepey fairly easily imo.

Hard to argue with any of that, can't trust Bermudez' chin and anything could happen in the Villante Cummins fight, Villante should be able to outstrike him but he's got terrible cardio and can get ko'd himself if he doesn't end it in the 1st.

I like Gastelum mainly as Weidman gasses out after 1 round and Kelvin has probably the best cardio in the division. Don't think I'll have a bet on it though. Quite a few guys in the prelims that I like, Burgos and Kennedy for example, Burgos looked amazing last time out and should finish Pepey fairly easily imo.

I'm most looking forward to Kelleher (sp) VS Vera. That could be wonderful. I'm also a fan of Timothy Johnson too. Mainly cause he's got a tremendous tache and everybody hates him.

Gastulem by ko in either round three or four. Three is when Weidman seems to get silly and finished. He also has a knack of blocking jabs with his face. Gastulem to box him senseless.

The whole main card is actually very good tonight. May see if can stay up for it although highly unlikely.

22 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Gastulem by ko in either round three or four. Three is when Weidman seems to get silly and finished. He also has a knack of blocking jabs with his face. Gastulem to box him senseless.

The whole main card is actually very good tonight. May see if can stay up for it although highly unlikely.

It's on earlier than usual but they have a history of dragging the arse out of these FOX shows.

It's on earlier than usual but they have a history of dragging the arse out of these FOX shows.

That earlier time is part of the issue. I've aced the "sleep early, get up early, go back to bed" routine for 3am main cards. This earlier time throws it out of whack.

Vera is a beast 8/1 for the sub too.

Fair play, Vera is still firmly on the 'bet against' list for me. I did back him against Pickett which was lucky tbf. Bets on wade, Kennedy and LaFlare looking good. Had Burgos by finish though [emoji22] .