MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

What are the main differences?
Do you also just ignore, say... Daniel Cormier's wrestling achievements in the Olympics because wrestling in MMA is different?
Joanna is basically a Muay Thai fighter with take down defence. 
I used the word 'punt' specifically. Rose is correctly the dog in the fight but I personally believe she's nowhere near the long shot that her price suggests.

Sorry for late response. Thai scoring rewards you mostly for body kicks, knees and focuses alot on countering any kicks you receive, the effect of the score and the technique of the score. Regarding adapting it to MMA, you have to be more wary with body kicks as getting caught can lead to a takedown then getting choked. On top of that the angles are different in view of the change of shape of ring and lack of ropes. In thai you can win fights leaning a guy against the ropes in the clinch and kneeing alot. Against a cage you're also fighting in the clinch against being dragged down and choked. Added to this the glove difference sees punch kos nowhere near as common. Can use the back of the gloves as more of a guard against your face getting mashed.

Joanna is out of anyone the person I've seen best transfer her thai boxing to mma. She's absolutely boss at it but I've seen a fair amount of thai boxers transfer across and either struggle to adapt or achieve nowhere near the same glories as they did in muay thai.

Anyway, Costa gonna wreck Big Rig here. Change to Jacksons isn't gonna change a thing at this stage for the fella.

6 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Sorry for late response. Thai scoring rewards you mostly for body kicks, knees and focuses alot on countering any kicks you receive, the effect of the score and the technique of the score. Regarding adapting it to MMA, you have to be more wary with body kicks as getting caught can lead to a takedown then getting choked. On top of that the angles are different in view of the change of shape of ring and lack of ropes. In thai you can win fights leaning a guy against the ropes in the clinch and kneeing alot. Against a cage you're also fighting in the clinch against being dragged down and choked. Added to this the glove difference sees punch kos nowhere near as common. Can use the back of the gloves as more of a guard against your face getting mashed.

Joanna is out of anyone the person I've seen best transfer her thai boxing to mma. She's absolutely boss at it but I've seen a fair amount of thai boxers transfer across and either struggle to adapt or achieve nowhere near the same glories as they did in muay thai.

Anyway, Costa gonna wreck Big Rig here. Change to Jacksons isn't gonna change a thing at this stage for the fella.

Thanks for the insight man. Food for thought.

Fucking love this sport.