MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I thought Story/Pyle was the FotN but can't begrudge what got it. Fun stuff from Hunt and JDS, and Cerrone/Noons was a contender too. That was never gonna be bad though.

TJ Grant vs. Benson Henderson intrigues me, especially with the way Grant dispatched of a good fighter in Maynard.

I've seen a good few people say this was the card of the year so far. I certainly wouldn't say that, it was fairly average I felt.

Cerrone is probably my favourite fighter to watch and I quite enjoyed the fight with Noons. I didn't think either guy looked like they were throwing at full power if that makes sense. I was absolutely wrecked when I watched it and there was a fair amount of blood but I thought shots were landing from both without any real intention to knock the other guy out. It was pretty strange Good performance overall from Cowboy though and hopefully they can put him back in with someone closer to his level again next time (Nurmagomedov or Thomson would be good fights).

TJ Grant was the story of the night, what a performance that was to demolish Maynard. Vicious striking. I'll pick Bendo against him but he's smashing through guys at the moment. I wasn't sure how he'd deal with the step up in class but he looked like a beast. Maynard's an excellent fighter but he's had a strange couple of years - a draw with Edgar, getting KO'd in the rematch, a shitty fight with Guida and KO'd in a minute by Grant.

Teixeira-Te Huna was a mismatch as expected. I like Te Huna but Glover should be in with much better guys than him. He beat Rampage and then ended up with Te Huna? It should have been him in with one of Shogun/Nog/Evans/Hendo. The gulf in class was clear here but it doesn't tell us anything we didn't know about Glover. I don't think anyone really gained anything from this fight.

JDS-Hunt was an enjoyable watch but wasn't competitive at all unfortunately. JDS is a powerful, powerful man. That right hand when Hunt was down is possibly the hardest ground shot I've ever seen. Terrifying. The right hand in the first which dropped Hunt would've finished literally anyone else in the world IMO, Hunt's chin is mental.

The main event was a non-event. Cain's awesome but this fight shouldn't really have happened in an ideal world. We've talked about the weird place HW MMA is in on here recently and this fight was testement to that really. Bigfoot's nowhere near the level of Cain/JDS, Cormier would beat him handily IMO and I think Overeem would smash him 95% of the time in a rematch.

Cain-JDS is the fight and it'll be fantastic I'm sure but what happens after that? The loser fights once more, blasts whoever they face and they meet again? These guys will end up fighting each other 5 or 6 times at this rate with the state of the division.

From the prelims I thought Whittaker looked really good.

Oh, and what was Bigfoot moaning about? If you don't want the referee to step in, it probably isn't a good idea to just lie there and let the other guy punch you in the head over and over again.

Zingano's injured so is out of TUF, not sure if it puts her out of the title fight but I'd imagine so. Miesha Tate's got the coaching gig/probable title shot coming off a loss. Should've been McMann.

Well they have the fight they wanted in the first place. Agree on McMann, only thing close to a legitimate Rousey threat at the moment