MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Ome thing I will say is it's ridiculous that McDonald-Pickett is a prelim, on any show. Massive fight.

Probably would be on the main card but due to Lauzon being from Massachusetts, they obviously went for that fight.

Also, Bellator have signed a deal with VIVA for UK broadcasting starting in the summer.

http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=208169562&DB_OEM_ID=23600

Edited by Martha Stewart

I take it from the lack of discussion on here that everyone else found the weekend's UFC event as inspiring as I did? Quite a few nice finishes and worth a watch but to me it summed up the big problem with the UFC this year as a whole.

The card top to bottom was a series of mismatches IMO. The UFC as a whole this year has been characterised by guys who they aren't really sure what to do with just getting chucked against any old fighter, or with guys being well out of their depth despite earning the position (if that makes sense). There's also been a couple of mismatches for financial reasons too (Jones-Chael, GSP-Diaz).

Raphael Assuncao-Vaughan Lee was a classic example of it at the weekend. Why was this fight booked? Who gained anything from this? The card at the weekend was stacked full of Brazilian fighters facing guys way out of their depth. Rony Jason against Wilkinson was another example.

UFC 160 was full of these kind of fights too. The top 3 fights on that card were foregone conclusions. Hunt and Bigfoot had sort of earned their positions, but no one could seriously have thought either guy had even a 10% chance of winning. Teixeira was obviously just in with Te Huna as they had no clue what to do with him. Noons was hugely outmatched against Cerrone.

Basically, my point is that predictable stuff like this is very tough to get excited for. The card at the weekend looked a belter when it was first booked with Barao-Wineland (bit of a mismatch tbf), Evans-Hendo and Shogun-Nog, but we've now got the least exciting of those fights on paper headlining with Nelson against a midcarder coming off a loss as the co-main.

WSOF at the weekend is something different though, that should be worth a look. Fitch should win pretty handily in the main event I think but WSOF 2 impressed me so I'll be seeking this card out.

Been watching some older fights from my DVD collection I'm building up and was on Pride 3 last night. Dunno if anyone's seen it but the main event (Takada-Sturgeon) is the most obviously fixed fight I've ever seen. Mental. Really poor pro wrestling.

Went a bit mental on Clearvision there as they have a cracking sale on and ordered 33 DVDs :lol: Less than £85 for the lot though!

The Wilkinson fight was one of the worst mismatches I've ever seen. Offered f**k all standing apart from hilariously stiff movement and then when he got the takedown he was quickly finished. Guy was a shambles. Hope he gets cut.

The Brazilian cards have all looked like a string of slight to large mismatches recently, almost always in favour of the local. I dunno if this is a conscious ploy by the UFC to make the Brazilian fans happy or what.

For a top contender, Werdum is absolutely miles off the pace of the top two and probably also Cormier and Overeem, who are both also seemingly a way behind the top two).

Edited by banana

Jose Aldo vs. Korean Zombie as Pettis is out of the fight. Good. He's earned that shot anyways.

Can't doubt he doesn't deserve it but f**k the original fight was better. Best fight booked this year.

Edited by Christophe

Can't doubt he doesn't deserve it but f**k the original fight was better. Best fight booked this year.

Oh aye, I was looking forward to it, but I'm delighted to see someone who earned their shot get their shot.

Not sure which rounds the judges are giving Jabouin there, i scored all three in favour of Pague.

He fought of a bunch of submission attempts and got some hard elbows in but nowhere near enough to take that fight.

Edited by Christophe