MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

That's been coming for years now. Cocky, disrespectful fcuk.

EDIT: what a mysterious post-fight interview :huh: He's going to keep fighting another 10 fights, but not for the belt? Hinting at catchweight scraps with GSP and Jones?

Edgar v Oliviera a very entertaining scrap. Welcome back, Frankie!

Munoz looking like a beast, some scary Fedor-esque flying ground-and-pounding.

What the fcuk was that stoppage in the Herman v Gonzaga fight? Give the guy a chance to defend himself and fight back ffs.

Edited by banana

Frankie Edgar is class. I love the man. He's guaranteed entertainment every time he steps in the octagon.

Great to see Anderson Silva lose, and while he brought it entirely on himself, Weidman showed enough savvy to know exactly how to deal with that. Silva was caught off balance because he simply didn't expect the hands to start swinging crazily both ways. Then Weidman opened up big time.

People seem to be forgetting that this is how he fights. Every fight. If you thought he was great before and then lambast him for being shite here, you're being hypocritical.

The only difference is what I said before. Weidman knew what was going to happen and took advantage. Anderson Silva IS great. If you play with fire like he does in every single fight though, you're going to get burned. I firmly believe he brought this on himself, but the reality is that someone should have done this much sooner.

He did it to Sonnen both times. Even he's not stupid enough to do it to a Belfort to Hendo though, when they have ridiculous weapons in their hands. Those guys are a rare breed though.

As for the Gonzaga/Herman stoppage, I sympathise with Winslow. When she stepped in, all that was happening was Herman was lying there eating shots. He started defending himself as Winslow stepped in.

The style he uses, with the hands down and only using his head movement, somebody was always going to catch him eventually. No doubt he took Weidman too lightly, I thought it all week. From the press conference, open work out, weigh ins.

The only ref issue I had last night was Big Herb in the Cub/Siver fight. What was he even doing? Strange because I think he's the best ref around.

Every ref fucks up now and again. Even Big John.

He did absolutely nothing though, he was sleeping. Siver wanted out, Swanson was landing bombs and he was completely out of it. It only stopped when Swanson decided he had knocked Siver out. As I said, not like big Herb at all.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

As for the Gonzaga/Herman stoppage, I sympathise with Winslow. When she stepped in, all that was happening was Herman was lying there eating shots. He started defending himself as Winslow stepped in.

She didn't wait to give him a chance to defend himself and he clearly wasn't out. The point is that these guys train for months to prepare for a few minutes in the ring and a loss can set them back a long way. They're fighters, big laddies who can and should be allowed to take a few hits and fight on.

There's obviously a balance to be struck. For me it sits somewhere closer to Herb Dean's timing that it does to Winslow's timing. I doubt you'll find Siver or many if any other fighter in his position complaining, but you'll find a Herman at just about every MMA event.

Edited by banana

Just got done with this today...

Edgar-Oliveira FOTN for me, Oliveira was superb. Did not expect him to put up as much resistance, especially after his Swanson fight where he kinda melted under the spotlight. Perhaps Frankie could have been more aggresive and would have liked to see him push for the stoppage but enjoyed it very much all the same.

Edgar-Swanson would be sweet, maybe someone like Caraway for Oliveira.

All that needs to be said about Anderson's behaviour has been said. What do guys reckon they get from clowning? King Mo and Alistair Overeem have already been caught out this year, all risk no reward, bizarre behaviour.

What i haven't heard mentioned much though is that going by the first round, Weidman could well have gained an effective victory with his ground work anyway.

I'm not buying the no rematch line. UFC need the superfights to be between champions so they will go again i reckon. If Anderson has his head screwed on he beats Weidman more often than not, so i really don't see him walking away from the middleweight title picture just yet.

I can't imagine Dana White will allow Silva to bum about and smash guys much lesser of his ability for ten fights. Although could hopefully get a Silva v Sonnen 3?

Final card set for Bellator 97, it is superb...

Spike Card

• Michael Chandler vs. David Rickels - Bellator Lightweight championship
  • Ben Askren vs. Andrey Koreshkov - Bellator Welterweight championship
  • Muhammed Lawal vs. Jacob Noe - Summer Series light-heavyweight tourney final
  • Ryan Martinez vs. Vitaly Minakov - Summer Series heavyweight tourney final
  • Rob Emerson vs. Patricio Freire

Spike.com Prelims:

• Will Brooks vs. Cris Leyva
  • Rodrigo Lima vs. Rafael Silva - bantamweight tournament semifinal
  • Frank Baca vs. Anthony Leone - bantamweight tournament semifinal
  • Mike Barreras vs. Bubba Jenkins
  • Richard Jacques vs. Javier Palacios
  • Keith Berry vs. Jeremy Kimball
  • Felipe Chavez vs. Adrian Cruz
  • Shawn Bunch vs. Steve Garcia
  • Donald Sanchez vs. Cliff Wright