MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Calderwood had turned down a title shot in the past.

Doubt that would affect their reasoning when weighing up the pecking order, it was short notice so doubt there is any ill feeling. How long is Esparza slated to be out for? Could we see an eliminator perhaps or is it not long term enough for that?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Silva is still the best on the planet as far as I'm concerned and I'd favour him to win. If he does though, then what? Another match with Weidman? Another fight with Vitor?

Jones / GSP please.

EDIT: He's 5th behind Jones, Aldo, Velasquez and GSP for me and has been for a year or so.

Edited by banana

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Silva is still the best on the planet as far as I'm concerned and I'd favour him to win. If he does though, then what? Another match with Weidman? Another fight with Vitor?

yeah if he wins then they start booking the superfights. they got a fright there when the champion v champion fights went up in smoke with the weidman win, silva being the weight bridge between GSP and Bones, and there's no way they let it happen again.

Silva won't let the same thing happen twice. Either that, or he'll be a twat ( which isn't uncommon for Anderson Silva ) and then take the same punishment for it as last time. That's what I'm hoping for.

And while I don't like that TJ Grant loses his title shot, we get Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis, which is better than both potential fights that were on the cards.

Jones / GSP please.

EDIT: He's 5th behind Jones, Aldo, Velasquez and GSP for me and has been for a year or so.

WHIT

Why did Anderson drop down your list before his Weidman fight? The only one who should even be considered as being above him is Jones IMO. Aldo was close with Edgar and didn't even have the easiest time against Hominick either. GSP almost got KO'd by Condit and isn't finishing guys. Cain lost to JDS pretty recently and hasn't really beaten anyone except JDS by decision and Lesnar who was coming off a layoff?

Supras

IMO Pre-162:

1. Anderson

2. Jones

3. GSP

4. Aldo

5. Cruz

6. Barao

7. Bendo

8. Cain

9. Melendez

10. Edgar

Now:

1. Jones

2. GSP

3. Aldo

4. Cruz

5. Barao

6. Weidman

7. Anderson

8. Bendo

9. Cain

10. Melendez

WHIT

Why did Anderson drop down your list before his Weidman fight?

Because he hasn't impressed me in a while, certainly not close to the 'Godlike' status people have continued to bestow upon him. The loss has been coming for a few years, IMO.

Cain is up there because I think he's criminally under-rated and under-respected. We've been Supras over this one before :P

Good call on Barao being ahead of him too.

Edited by banana

Bigfoot Silva isn't exactly a bad fighter and Velasquez mauled him. And make no mistake, Velasquez absolutely destroyed JDS in their second fight. I think 9 times out of 10, Velasquez beats JDS and beats the rest ten times out of ten. Although now that Cormier has decided to give it another go, we'll see. I think he might be a danger.

I'm not 100% sold on Jose Aldo btw.

In terms of the people who train you, people you train with, facilities and general atmosphere it is miles apart from other martial arts academies in Scotland. Its no surprise that on the local muay thai and mma scene they are very very successful.

Agreed. When you've got a good instructor(s) and good training partners then it's so much easier to succeed.

When guys fight with each other instead of aginst each other in training then it works out well.

We normally take time out after a roll around to explain things to each other. If you tap someone you run him through how you got him. If you are trying like a bear to get the tap and can't get it, the other guy takes the time to show you how he countered it.

It's all about learning and ensuring that you make your training partner as good as, if not better than you and things fall into place nicely.