MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Laughed hard when Overeem got ko'd. Thought he had already one the fight and let his guard down. Tool.

McGregor impressive as ever. Never seen a man so at ease in the Octogon. Huge descent to stardom considering he will still with Cage Warriors less than a year ago.

I like Shogun but glad to see Sonnen win. Who he fights next though is an utter mystery to me.

Could be one of the biggest audience draws ever seen if it's Wanderlei imho. The media circus Sonnen would create would be worth the match up alone.

Edited by mrcat1990

Overeem hasn't half turned into a plodding, one-dimensional gas-artist. Crazy how much such a talented striker has failed to close out winning fights. And hilarious that he goes out to a kick.

Old school MMA officially dead?

Edited by banana

Overeem hasn't half turned into a plodding, one-dimensional gas-artist. Crazy how much such a talented striker has failed to close out winning fights. And hilarious that he goes out to a kick.

Has it not been since he got off the steroids he has been pretty average?

Really good show top to bottom I felt, card of the year so far for me. The prelims were great, the main card continued in largely the same style and the main and co-main had very, very pleasing endings.

The main event was cream material for me. Chael looked like a beast. He actually pulled guard on and submitted a Brazilian. His wrestling was dead on and he destroyed someone who Gustafsson and Hendo couldn't put away in recent fights. His promo after the fight was top notch as well. It has to be Wanderlei next. Vitor, Machida and Davis have all called him out but the Wanderlei fight has to happen. Wand is coming off a win and should be wanting revenge for his Chute Boxe mate. Book it for the New Year show please.

Overeem getting KO'd was most pleasing too. Overeem has just about the worst fans in the sport so watching "The Best Striker in MMA!!" get put on his arse again was v. dece. I thought that Browne was well out of his depth when Overeem was smashing him, and I thought the ref would probably have been justified in stepping in. Browne though showed much more than I thought possible, great heart from him even though Overeem plodding forward with a huge gap against a guy who was constantly throwing front kicks was the height of stupidity. I'd stick Overeem in with the loser of Mir/Barnett and I'd go with Browne-Miocic or possibly Browne-Bigfoot II.

I love Urijah Faber so I was pleased to see him turn in another dominant performance. It wasn't exactly fireworks but I loved this fight as it was a hard fought slog. Faber-McDonald is all that makes sense for me next.

Matt Brown - OAFT. Bizarre post-fight comments but what a performance from him. They have to put him against a top 10 guy on the up now. MacDonald or Lawler would do for me.

Elsewhere, is Uriah Hall the biggest hype job in recent history? He looked poor again. Lauzon-Johnson was a war, didn't think Johnson had it in him tbh. Hopefully Lauzon isn't slowing down after all the battles he's been in. Michael McDonald is a machine. Pickett is a smaller Bisping - really good fighter but will never be top 3 or 4 in his division. McGregor looked really good against a decent opponent. 145 is stacked right now though so I wouldn't be hot shotting him too early. Mike Brown :( he should probably retire now. Brandao-Pineda was my FOTN, cracking brawl between two guys I always look forward to watching. Brandao-McGregor could be wild.

PRIDE NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!1111111111111

BrowneTravisOvereemWIN-427x288.jpg

731003-chael-sonnen.jpg

(I really like Shogun to be fair)

Those kicks down the middle from Browne were constantly dangerous. It was only a matter of time before he caught Overeem flush with one of them.

Oh, and McGregor is the biggest hype job in recent history, but he might be worth it. We'll see though.

I'd go as far as to say the Travis Browne is the hardest hitting heavyweight in the UFC. Nowhere as technically gifted as Cain and JDS etc.but I reckon he hits harder than both. He threw that front kick about 20 times to stop Overeem getting inside and landing the knees and the stupid f**k walked straight onto one. The follow up punches were vicious.

On the subject of McGregor, He genuinely doesn't give a f**k who he fights. I can picture him in there with Aldo and he'd still have walked him down and thrown crazy kicks etc. I for one am totally swallowed up by the hype, but then I've been following him over the last 18 months/2 years so I'm a bit of a fan boy. Looking at the top 10 at FW, there are some nuts match ups you can put him in.

Brandao-McGregor was what I was calling for, so happy with that. I think McGregor will probably take a decision but the opening round will be wild. Should be a great fight.

Looks like we're getting Vitor-Hendo II in Brazil later this year. Not sure on the weight. Should be a great scrap, I'd fancy Vitor but Hendo has of course never been finished. I'm picking Vitor against almost anyone though. Hendo might be best advised to dust off his wrestling for this one.

Machida-Tim Kennedy at 185 is pretty likely to be on as well. Tim Kennedy is boring and an arsehole, if he beats Machida it's probably time for me to give up on MMA. Machida will KO him early though I think. Be interesting to see how Lyoto does at 185, there's a shitload of interesting fights for him there so should be good if they can keep him active.

Robbie Lawler-Rory MacDonald is getting the go ahead for UFC 167 as well. Got to fancy Rory in that one, although if he's as tentative as he was against Ellenberger Lawler has the power to give him problems. I doubt Lawler will stand in front of him. In saying that I'd fancy Rory to impose himself and put in a much better performance.

And for 167 they are trying to put together a co-main of Chael-Wanderlei. Despite loving Wanderlei I am of course biased as Chael is the best guy in the world, but I think Wanderlei wants absolutely no part of Sonnen. I don't know if we'll ever see the fight which is a shame as the build would be incredible. I think they'd have a decent fight as well. 167 would do a crazy buyrate with GSP-Hendricks main eventing with this as the co-main, 1m + I'd imagine.