MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Great show, hadn't really been that excited for it but the countdown show they did was brilliant at building it up, particularly the Mir and Barnett segment.

Pettis is class, I had no idea who would win there but one thing I didn't see was Pettis winning with a submission. Plenty options with where to go, although it should really be TJ Grant next. Aldo would seem most likely given the post-fight interview (I haven't seen a scrum or anything so dunno what Dana had to say on that). Bendo could go back in with Melendez if he gets past Sanchez? Gray Maynard could be a good one as well. Difficult to make an immediate trilogy match with Pettis having won both and doing so with a first round finish here.

Barnett-Mir was a war for all the time it lasted, loved it. The stoppage was possibly a bit early but all that did was to stop Mir from taking some heavy shots. Barnett will be a real threat in there, but I have a difficult time buying into him as a challenger with how dominated he was by Cormier. Travis Browne makes sense next for him for me. As for Mir, I don't really know what more he can do in his career. Overeem would be a decent shout next but I see Mir losing that one fairly easily. Might be time for him to hang them up, I'm sure he could get a media role for the UFC.

Mendes is one of the top 5 fighters in the UFC without a title belt for me, there's nothing he can't do. I can't stick Clay Guida so was very pleased with the outcome here. I think Lamas should be next for Aldo (Pettis stuff aside), but Mendes needs to be fighting for the belt again. Second guy in UFC history to get four KOs in a row? That's mental. Especially with Guida never having been KO'd.

Elsewhere I thought the card delivered. Rothwell-Vera was pretty shit as expected though. Poirier-Koch was my FOTN, Poirier was an underdog (cheers bookies) but looked class as usual. The guy just keeps getting better. Koch will improve as well. Tibau-Varner was a decent enough grinding contest, scored it 29-27 for Tibau and had to laugh at the 29-27 for Varner. Elliott looked huge for 125 and was class against Gaudinot, 1 more win for a title shot for him probably. Lim-Krauss was awesome. Camus got a gift of a decision against Kang, cracking fight there. Iaquinta was good against Couture who surely gets cut now. Cedenblad's submission on Hamman is well worth checking out.

Another UFC event, another set of premature stoppages. Let them fucking fight ffs!

I've thought you've been harsh on referees before on this, but not this time. I'll get to that. Only watched the main card.

* The first fight was a cracker. Both guys went all out and both showed some real class at times. I thought for sure we were gonna see a tap in the first round but there was some incredible heart shown.

* No way was Vera finished in that fight with Rothwell. He was constantly moving and the moment he went to all fours, the referee stepped in, and he looked desperate to step in before that. Good fight though, and I want to see Rothwell/Browne as well.

* The commentators seemed to push the agenda that Guida was causing bother, but I thought Mendes' movement was better. Got in and out well. Not that Guida's movement was not doing any damage at all though. He was doing some damage of his own, but Mendes wasn't being as dominated as they'd want you to think. I can see the problem with that stoppage too. Just don't buy that it was over, or even a matter of time.

* Barnett looks like a beast. And not in the "BEAST!!!" sense. I'll give the referee the benefit of the doubt in that stoppage, because he DID look limp when he went down initially and the referee moved in. It's just a matter of a fraction of a second, so I'll say the referee probably got it wrong, but it wasn't necessarily a bad finish.

* Pettis was giving him a fucking kicking there. And then when it goes to the ground, Rogan says "he's comfortable in the guard" and five seconds later the arm is locked. I liked Bendo's post-fight interview. Seemed more insightful than most.

* Krauss/Lim. Well... it started as an aggressive fight, and then just got incredibly brutal, and Krauss took a total pasting after that. That was fun, but not the FOTN for me.

* Cedenblad was incredible there. Not much else to be said. I was joining Rogan in the jizzing over it.

Decided not to watch Couture/Iaquinta because I couldn't really be arsed, but I enjoyed this.

The card tomorrow night is almost like a boxing card in some ways IMO, the top 3 fights are all hugely appealing and then there is a whole lot of nothing below them.

Teixeira should handle Bader fairly easily IMO, I've seen people say he hasn't faced a wrestler yet but I can't see Bader causing him too many problems. Even if it does hit the ground I think Glover could possibly submit him. I'll say Glover by KO in the first two.

Jacare is one of my favourite guys at the moment, and I reckon if Anderson had beaten Weidman he'd possibly have been looking at a title shot with a win here. Now though it just looks like a really difficult fight. The bookies have him as a big favourite but I think this one is tough to call. Okami is a horrible guy to fight, he's huge for the weight and when he beats guys he makes them look awful. It'll be interesting to see how Jacare does off his back if he gets taken down. I'll pick Jacare by sub but Okami by UD is a worry.

Benavidez-Formiga should be class as well. Any Benavidez fight is worth a watch, and Formiga's two fights so far in the UFC have been decent. I'd expect Benavidez to win here and be next in line for a title shot.

I don't want to live in a world where fights involving Bader and Okami are appealing. Bader can be decent though, and Teixeira is capable of busting him up pretty bad. I can only hope Jacare is as good as many think he is and finishes Okami in short order.

I don't want to live in a world where fights involving Bader and Okami are appealing. Bader can be decent though, and Teixeira is capable of busting him up pretty bad. I can only hope Jacare is as good as many think he is and finishes Okami in short order.

Both Bader and Okami are top 10 in their division fighting guys with a bit of hype about them, which is intriguing to me anyway.

I'm not so sure I'm into all this Wednesday fights malarkay.

Three cards in a week is too many as well.

JACARE :D

Jacare is the real deal, the improvement in his striking is frightening over the last couple of years. He just demolished Yushin Okami inside a round, a complete destruction. I genuinely think he can potentially beat anyone at 185, that was incredible.

Glover has absolutely zero chance against Jones, he was getting caught repeatedly against Bader and he won't get away with that against Jones.

Benavidez probably beats Mighty Mouse if they rematch.

Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn will coach TUF19, they will also fight in April at featherweight. I know Edgar is 2-0 against Penn, but the prospect of it taking place a t 145lbs has added that extra bit intrigue this time around. Just imagine BJ Penn in his prime fighting at 145.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7