Sons' sorrow

Fleming wasn't used yesterday to proper effect, especially in the first half when he was lost on the right wing - I'd like to see him lie just off Nade. And whilst it was a good dogged defensive performance there were still far too many cheap mistakes in midfield with Gal (again) particularly culpable.

Yes, agree entirely.

Fleming wasn't used yesterday to proper effect, especially in the first half when he was lost on the right wing - I'd like to see him lie just off Nade. And whilst it was a good dogged defensive performance there were still far too many cheap mistakes in midfield with Gal (again) particularly culpable.

Yup agree with that

Think with Barr n midfield it takes away some of the drive and support despite Barr playing very well. That's why will be interesting how much moe we push next week against a team of our own standard.even our substitutions don't really make us by more positive

Perhaps, but I think as Frank says above our best formation would have Garry just behind Nade. That's where he's most impressive in my opinion, and also where he played for a large chunk of time with Irvine Meadow. I'd say next week we should go with:

Ewings

Saunders Buchanan Wright Docherty

Cawley/Heh Routledge Barr Walsh

Fleming

Nade

I would have liked to see us throw a bit more caution to the wind in the last 10 minutes. Dundee were pushing and we could've made more chances if we committed bodies forward. Could've lost the tie as well but that's what cup games should be all about. We still played well though, the defence have certainly earned their crust.

I wasn't there yesterday but apart from the better teams, we usually have the majority of the possession anyway so no surprise there.

Yip agree that Fleming is best as attacking central midfielder. At the rsk f the wrath of te faithful at times yesterday he seemed in the huff and disinterested.

If Lindsay is fit creates another option. Can't really see many changes from yesterday's start.

Interesting will be if at some stage we consider a positive sub heh/McCallum .

Yup agree with that

Perhaps, but I think as Frank says above our best formation would have Garry just behind Nade. That's where he's most impressive in my opinion, and also where he played for a large chunk of time with Irvine Meadow. I'd say next week we should go with:

Ewings

Saunders Buchanan Wright Docherty

Cawley/Heh Routledge Barr Walsh

Fleming

Nade

Wouldn't be surprised if this is what we went for but will be interesting to see how we line up if Lindsay is back in contention. I also wouldn't be against Kirkpatrick starting on the wing because I'm not sure Heh or Cawley would have much joy up against Kevin Holt.

Fleming should never have been on the wing, probably why he was ineffective, but I wouldn't say disinterested, things just weren't coming off for him, you could see the instant difference when he went up top, I doubt Lindsay will be back for a few weeks, so I wouldn't mess around with the midfield from yesterday, but if I did, I'd have Fleming in for barr, and cawley on the wing, or if in a substitution sense, I'd take Barr out and play cawley with nade and Fleming up top, Gallagher may not be the most skilful of players but he is industrial, and can carry the ball out of defence quite well or, reasonably quick when chasing down a defender

Popped along to the Rock yesterday to see how our senior neighbours would do against Dundee. Despite the conditions, the game was a proper cup tie and as expected Dundee had the bulk of the play but rarely threatened thanks to some dogged defending. Dumbarton really should have pushed on in the last 20 minutes in my opinion. A wee bit more adventurism would have been good to watch as in my view Dundee's defence looked vulnerable. Saunders (No4?) had a great game and the old warhorse Wright put in a great centre-half display. Dundee's No 18 played well too.

Still have the same opinion of Gallagher as I have since he signed more or less. Just isn't quite good enough for this level. Had a couple of good games but really struggles to be effective. I'd drop Gall and bring in Taggart/Cawley. Move Garry up top and play whoever comes in on the wing.

I liked the idea of playing Cawley centrally too, which we done yesterday when we brought Taggart on. Wouldn't be against that.

As harsh as it may seem I would even consider dropping Fleming and playing Nade and Cawley up front together. Think that could potentially work better than having two pretty similar 'hold the ball up' or 'flick it on' kinda players.

Gallagher never looks comfortable no matter where we play him. Isn't a winger. Isn't a striker. Isn't a central midfielder. It's frustrating because we always seem to shoehorn him into the side. Fleming was poor yesterday and at times he looked frustrated. If shoehorning Gal in means Fleming being so poor then Gal needs to sit on the bench. Fleming gives us more than Gal when playing centrally.

Yip I agree we should select team where players best position is. For me this Fleming playing central attacking midfielder and not as a forward. Also for me it would not include Barr in midfield as he is a central defender.

Not sure if we put best team out if any place for Cawley or gall.

My team if I was picking it today

Ewings

Saunders Barr Wright Docherty

Taggert Routledge Lindsay Walsh

Fleming

Nade

If Lindsay not fit I'd have gall over Cawley.

No wonder it's hard for stevie to work out best team formation.

Yip I agree we should select team where players best position is. For me this Fleming playing central attacking midfielder and not as a forward. Also for me it would not include Barr in midfield as he is a central defender.

Ewings

Fleming

Nade

I spot a potential flaw in that theory

Not on wing but as right midfielder which he was not bad at as a right back. Heh is an option just don't know yet. Think with Walsh being winger on left,we can't afford another one.whilst pushing for more forwards not going complete all out attack .

Definite advantage that defence including Buchanan is fairly tight and consistent .

I'm desperate to see heh start. Don't see anything great about taggart on the wing

There's nothing great about any of our current squad on the right hand side of the midfield though. Taggart has looked most convincing to me out of all the players who have featured in that position in recent weeks.

I'm desperate to see heh start. Don't see anything great about taggart on the wing

how can anyone be desperate to see heh start, we don't know him, he'll have to come up with a sublime substitute appearance before he starts, cawley has shown to be a bit lightweight this season, but does have excellent ball control, I think it will happen for him sooner rather than later, in the meantime, Gallagher has been solid and quite dependable, never moans about wherever he's played, taggart I'm sure will push him for that place, but we have to remember that he is a right back, and Saunders is keeping him out of the team, and that he was injured for quite some time, his time will come to keep either Gallagher or Saunders out of the side

Might be a bit unpopular, but I thought gaz done better than big chris yesterday. Although i appreciate the big man is short of match fitness. For me, you pick a strong target man because he might be on his lonesome, that being the case we need sharp speedy support to him. If its to be a 5 man midfield i'd have jono, jamie, gaz, cawley and walsh behind nade.

Ewings

Fleming

Nade

Barr played in the middle of the park for Hearts

Barr has only played about half his first team career games at centre half; he played right back for Bairns, centre mid for Hearts, left back for County and a mix of the three / phsyio's table everywhere else, so it's not strictly accurate to say he's a natural centre half.