Sons' sorrow

Check out this film made in 1938, featuring Sir Iain Colquhoun of Luss as Mr Cholmondley Warner. At six minutes there is an equaly fascinating and hilarious clip of Queens Park Captain Jack Gardner followed by the Queens players training. There is also a short clip of a match at Muirton Saints v QP.

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0231

Did a quick search and there appears to be footage of Dumbarton vs Hibs in a charity football match but not included in the preview on the site - http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1871/74961169. Anyone ever seen it or know of other historical footage kicking around on the web?  Earliest I remember seeing is the highlights on youtube of the game against Aberdeen at Boghead from the 80's. 

Players compensate fans for the 6-0 pumping at Palmerston - https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2016/04/19/players-back-the-fans/

I'm quite surprised at that. I felt the shouts for compensation by a few fans were OTT and really quite against the notion of supporting a club. We support Dumbarton, surely anyone following us (especially in this division) knows that there's a chance of an absolute pumping? I found it strange that some feel like there's a sort of minimum score we need to lose by for the performance to be acceptable. Or to put it another way - was losing 2-0 to Livi not a more disappointing away day, given that we were expected to take something from the game and turned in a truly horrific performance with barely a shot on goal?

Having said that, I doff my cap to the players for doing it. They really didn't have to and it shows that they hurt in the same way fans do after a bad defeat. Hopefully the fans now turn up and back the team for the last 3 games with this Saturday and at Alloa on the last day (where the bus will now be subsidised) being arguably the two biggest games of our stint in this division.

Agreed. An apology would have been enough but fair play to them, absolutely fantastic gesture.

Did a quick search and there appears to be footage of Dumbarton vs Hibs in a charity football match but not included in the preview on the site - http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1871/74961169. Anyone ever seen it or know of other historical footage kicking around on the web? Earliest I remember seeing is the highlights on youtube of the game against Aberdeen at Boghead from the 80's.

Yup, I've seen the Hibs footage on one of Colin Liddel's old VHS videos. It was in colour and from the 40s. More accessible is the footage from the Dumbarton v Raith Rovers tie in March 1957 which housed Bogheid's biggest crowd. You may have to download a piece of software to view but it's here

http://www.movietone.com

I can't post the direct link from my iPad for some reason but if you go to that site and search for Dumbarton Raith Rovers, with Scottish Cup in the qualifying box.

If you have any bother it is story number 69941.

Check out this film made in 1938, featuring Sir Iain Colquhoun of Luss as Mr Cholmondley Warner. At six minutes there is an equaly fascinating and hilarious clip of Queens Park Captain Jack Gardner followed by the Queens players training. There is also a short clip of a match at Muirton Saints v QP.

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0231

Great stuff.

Kept hoping to see 'Charles "Charlie" Charles' appear, volleying a goal with a briar pipe in his mouth. 

Players compensate fans for the 6-0 pumping at Palmerston - https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2016/04/19/players-back-the-fans/

I'm quite surprised at that.  I felt the shouts for compensation by a few fans were OTT and really quite against the notion of supporting a club.  We support Dumbarton, surely anyone following us (especially in this division) knows that there's a chance of an absolute pumping?  I found it strange that some feel like there's a sort of minimum score we need to lose by for the performance to be acceptable.  Or to put it another way - was losing 2-0 to Livi not a more disappointing away day, given that we were expected to take something from the game and turned in a truly horrific performance with barely a shot on goal?

Having said that, I doff my cap to the players for doing it.  They really didn't have to and it shows that they hurt in the same way fans do after a bad defeat. Hopefully the fans now turn up and back the team for the last 3 games with this Saturday and at Alloa on the last day (where the bus will now be subsidised) being arguably the two biggest games of our stint in this division.

Fantastic gesture, but totally unnecessary. I'm frankly amazed anyone was actually shouting for compensation. Wasn't so long ago we were getting absolute doings off the likes of Forfar and Montrose, some folk need a bit of perspective.

Edited by FifeSons

The best compensation the players can give fans is securing Championship football for another season. That's something I'm hopeful will happen given our 5 point lead, although we still have a bit to go before we're safe.

But it's an absolutely fantastic gesture. It wasn't necessary and it wasn't expected but it's a properly decent thing for the guys to have done.

Hopefully it'll add another wee bit to what should be a fantastic atmosphere for our final home game of the season on Saturday. With the Swiss Sons coming over too, this one should be loud.

It has to be loud.

Fantastic gesture, but totally unnecessary. I'm frankly amazed anyone was actually shouting for compensation. Wasn't so long ago we were getting absolute doings off the likes of Forfar and Montrose, some folk need a bit of perspective.

True, but I think this is smashing and very clever gesture which could actually play a part in us staying in this league next term.

Discounted travel, along with a team who clearly care, is going to convince more people to make the trip to Alloa. The last away day is always a decent turnout as well, so perhaps we could get 2/300 people there maybe more. For the players that vocal backing may well play a big part in helping us get a result that day should we need it.

A good gesture to get the fans onside, and turning out, and one which I doubt cost the players a great deal of cash in the grand scheme of things. Win win. Unless we lose to Alloa, in which case at least folk didn't have to pay full price for the privilege. 

Hear, hear. I regard it as remarkable that were still in the Championship after so many years. I expect more gubbings than we actually suffer. I too have stood frozen in seaside towns watching us getting a hammering, but it's all part of being a Sons fan. Take yer compensation calls elsewhere.

Whilst there were one or two shouts on here, I don't imagine anyone actually approached the club or the players to demand compo. This has been done completely off their own backs and I think they deserve all the credit in the world for doing so. Absolutely fantastic gesture and I truly hope it encourages more folk to attend.

I'm just seriously hoping we're safe so we can repay the players with beer, ching and hookers at the awards do.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Great stuff.

Kept hoping to see 'Charles "Charlie" Charles' appear, volleying a goal with a briar pipe in his mouth. 

Here's the Dumbarton V Raith link http://www.movietone.com/N_POPUP_Player.cfm?action=playVideo&assetno=103824

You need the Microsoft plugin 'Silverlight' to view it. The actual fitba looks truly dire tbh.

Did a quick search and there appears to be footage of Dumbarton vs Hibs in a charity football match but not included in the preview on the site - http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1871/74961169. Anyone ever seen it or know of other historical footage kicking around on the web? Earliest I remember seeing is the highlights on youtube of the game against Aberdeen at Boghead from the 80's.

It's a friendly against hibs to celebrate VE day apparently

Yup, I've seen the Hibs footage on one of Colin Liddel's old VHS videos. It was in colour and from the 40s. More accessible is the footage from the Dumbarton v Raith Rovers tie in March 1957 which housed Bogheid's biggest crowd. You may have to download a piece of software to view but it's here

http://www.movietone.com

I can't post the direct link from my iPad for some reason but if you go to that site and search for Dumbarton Raith Rovers, with Scottish Cup in the qualifying box.

If you have any bother it is story number 69941.

The hibs footage is also on a history of Scottish football VHS that was issued late eighties/early nineties

Did not get to the Raith rovers quarter final game although I certainly remember going to other games in 1958. Would have probably seen the newsreel at the Rialto or la scala as at that time in Dumbarton television was still a novelty and most folk depended on newsreels to see film of the current news. The attendance given as 18000 was probably widely innacurate as children were not counted as they were lifted over the turnstile. There could easily have been over20000 at the game and as everyone wore a bunnet there must have been a lot of money in bunnet making. The standard of football was probably quite good as the sons had some decent players at the time.

Did not get to the Raith rovers quarter final game although I certainly remember going to other games in 1958. Would have probably seen the newsreel at the Rialto or la scala as at that time in Dumbarton television was still a novelty and most folk depended on newsreels to see film of the current news. The attendance given as 18000 was probably widely innacurate as children were not counted as they were lifted over the turnstile. There could easily have been over20000 at the game and as everyone wore a bunnet there must have been a lot of money in bunnet making. The standard of football was probably quite good as the sons had some decent players at the time.

Have you watched the film? Admittedly it is only just over a minute but I can only repeat that based on that, the standard appears way below what you'd expect from a Scottish cup quarter final.