Sons' sorrow

Dundee United and Dunfermline landing back in this division invokes eerie memories of 95/96. Younger readers with a Jermaine Pennant for the macabre should have a glance on Statto for the full, grim details.

In brighter news, Ryan McCord joining up?

yeah, that was my thinking, I'd imagine a lot of the players will have been offered a renewal by now, and tonight would be yes or no night, or maybe, thus deciding the few released.

Personally, for me, I wouldn't be too adverse to a big turn around again. There are a good few players I'd give another shot of impressing, or who may be better with a season of the championship under there belts, but certainties, I'd keep, ewings, nade, Fleming, saunders, Buchanan, Heffernan, mccallum,(I think is improving every year). Docherty seems to love the club, but I'd prefer we sign a quicker lb who stays out to defend, but move him to midfield. Lindsay, I'd take him back, if we either sign aggy or similar, we need a midfielder who can shoot on target, can get around 8 goals a season, take a penalty, thread a pass, Lindsay does the donkey work. Wright may Chuck it, getting on a bit, barr wants full time, but after his first half shocker against hibs and probably alloa, I wouldn't be shoe horning him into the middle, centre half with buccy, perfectly acceptable.

I agree with most of what you've said, but of the ones you've listed, I'd certainly like to keep Barr (if possible, I know as you've said he's after FT), and I've not been convinced by Heffernan any time I've seen him to have him on the 'like to keep' list. I reckon there's better out there we could go for.

I think you're right in that there's a good few who deserve another shot and should be better players with a season of Championship football behind them, so for that reason, I hope we can retain at least half-a-dozen or so of the first teamers from this year.

Dundee United and Dunfermline landing back in this division invokes eerie memories of 95/96. Younger readers with a Jermaine Pennant for the macabre should have a glance on Statto for the full, grim details.

In brighter news, Ryan McCord joining up?

If we can't get Aggy then McCord would be the perfect man for the goalscoring, thread a pass midfield playmaker we've been looking for.

Edit: Funnily enough on your first point I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't born in 95/96, but judging by my Dad's reaction to reading the story on the website about United coming down that was a good thing  :lol:

That was the start of the Jim '2 wins in 50 successive relegation' Fallon tenure, wasn't it?

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

If we can't get Aggy then McCord would be the perfect man for the goalscoring, thread a pass midfield playmaker we've been looking for.

Edit: Funnily enough on your first point I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't born in 95/96, but judging by my Dad's reaction to reading the story on the website about United coming down that was a good thing  :lol:

That was the start of the Jim '2 wins in 50 successive relegation' Fallon tenure, wasn't it?

That makes me feel all sorts of old.

That makes me feel all sorts of old.

Good. It was intended to hurt most of the posters on here.

It must be similar to how I felt when I got told my football team were starting a 2010s team for next season. Absolute madness. I remember the woman in KeyStore pouring boiling water on my hand when I was trying to buy a Pot Noodle and watch the World Cup in 2010.

^^^Off topic drivel

Good. It was intended to hurt most of the posters on here.

It must be similar to how I felt when I got told my football team were starting a 2010s team for next season. Absolute madness. I remember the woman in KeyStore pouring boiling water on my hand when I was trying to buy a Pot Noodle and watch the World Cup in 2010.

^^^Off topic drivel

:lol:

Have any of you heard that Routledge is definitely joining us? It seems to have been doing the rounds for months now but I've seen nothing concrete at all.

We've only heard it coming from Morton fans.  It's rumoured that Jono is on a very good deal with us though, I'm not sure it will go through, although it is entirely possible.

Does Andrew Galloway post on Pie and Bovril? I've seen some of his tweets and he must be the biggest mark going. The stuff on his TL is the most wholesome, sincere, unabashed content I've ever seen.

Andy's a nice guy. Won't hear a bad word against him.

Does Andrew Galloway post on Pie and Bovril? I've seen some of his tweets and he must be the biggest mark going. The stuff on his TL is the most wholesome, sincere, unabashed content I've ever seen.

I know he reads the forum, he used to post as well (maybe he still does - I can't remember his name on here).  

Aye, as Pete says Andy's a nice guy who does bucketloads of work for the club. Regular interviews on the website, column in the programme and even sells 50/50s and programmes on match days.

His Twitter game is not as strong as yours FF, but I guess we can't all be blessed with cutting edge, razor sharp bantz.

I think he is/was DumbartonTerrace on here iirc.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Thanks and goodbye;

Waters, heh, walsh and lindsay (loans ended)

Cawley, gallacher, kirkpatrick.

On Gallagher and Cawley, it will be interesting if either are offered new deals. Simply not good or consistent enough for this level, but let's see if sentiment kicks in.

On Gallagher and Cawley, it will be interesting if either are offered new deals. Simply not good or consistent enough for this level, but let's see if sentiment kicks in.

I'd hope, and very much assume (I know we shouldn't assume anything) that Aitken is professional enough not to let sentiment cloud his judgement.

Based on this season, I wouldn't be eager to offer Cawley or Gallagher terms for next season. As back-ups maybe, but not as integral as they've been this year.

Seen as it's a slow day at work, here's my keep and punt list

Keep

Gregor Buchanan 

Mark Docherty

Scott Taggart

Steven Saunders (as a CB where he won me over a bit)

Miley Hopkins

Jamie Ewings

Jon Routledge

Garry Fleming

Donald McCallum

Christian Nade

Would keep, but wouldn't break the bank to keep

Darren Barr - Been fine, stood out in some games but just been fine for the rest. If he goes full-time then that's fine and good luck to him, but I wouldn't be breaking the budget to keep him

Frazer Wright - Very harsh I know, but I don't know how long he'll be able to go on for and Buchanan and Saunders at CB would do me fine. Potentially a waste of a wage.

Punt

Mark Brown - Think we all think this

Grant Gallagher - Nowhere near this level

Jordan Kirkpatrick - Not a chance he'll stay

Kevin Cawley - Flashes of decent play, but less than Calum Waters despite having 5 x the game time. Loses possession continually

Paul Heffernan - Clever runs. That's about it. Legs appear to be gone and is a poor finisher

Combining that with loan players returning:

Lindsay - Have back in a heartbeat

Waters - Would sign if he's released by Celtic, definitely a player in there. Just on the wing not at LB

Walsh - Decent enough

Heh -Who?

Assuming that all the players leave then that would be about 11 new signings we should be looking at.

Mikey Miller looking like he'll be let go by Morton...

Andy is a top bloke. Very knowledgable on all things Dumbarton and Scottish football in general.

As for changes - would we go for Beany? Knowing our luck he'd continue his run of scoring against us and set a new record for own goals.