Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not sure 'crippled' is the way to describe our finances :lol: you're making us sound like Livi!

We're still paying decent wages and are simply tightening the budget to counteract last seasons over spending. Such shrewd financial management is why we remain in a healthy position financially.

Let's say our finances took a boot in the stones last season then, and we're currently at the stage where we feel like they're floating around somewhere in our stomach. We know they'll get back to where they should be soon enough, but it doesn't make the present less painful.

Quite beautiful imagery :lol:

2 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Apparently we offered Nade the same amount of money as last year so he must be getting something ridiculous at Stranraer.

If the money that I've heard a few Stranraer players are on is true, then they will have comfortably blown us out the park. I have no doubts over that.

Fair play to them too, assuming it isn't jeopardising their future, they must have some very decent and intelligent backers.

Fair play to Stranraer for investing heavily in their playing squad, they'll certainly be a force to be reckoned with in that league next year.

I do agree for the most part that we should move on, and it was relatively clear from the outset that Nade's return wasn't looking likely, but it's one thing to say 'move on' and another to manage it.

We're now in a position where our top striker, and pretty much our saviour last year, has moved on. To a club in a lower division, and we've yet to replace him. So Stevie now has that task to find his replacement. Easy it certainly won't be, but I can't say I'd be content to start the season having not brought in a replacement for the goals Nade scored.

Very concerning. As is the size of our squad and the quality imo

Surely it would be more concerning if we were paying silly wages? I'd rather finish bottom with 0 points than spend what we can't afford.

We have guys like Barr, Stirling, Buchanan, Fleming, Wright and Stevenson who will be on a very decent part-time wage. You could probably throw Mark Brown and Gallagher in there as well. We aren't scrimping by with u17's and lower league jobbers, all of them should be capable of doing a job at this level. Losing out on Nade and Agnew is no big deal IMO.

The quality of our squad is absolutely fine, just require a couple of more bodies and we'll be sorted.

Fair play to Stranraer for investing heavily in their playing squad, they'll certainly be a force to be reckoned with in that league next year.

I do agree for the most part that we should move on, and it was relatively clear from the outset that Nade's return wasn't looking likely, but it's one thing to say 'move on' and another to manage it.

We're now in a position where our top striker, and pretty much our saviour last year, has moved on. To a club in a lower division, and we've yet to replace him. So Stevie now has that task to find his replacement. Easy it certainly won't be, but I can't say I'd be content to start the season having not brought in a replacement for the goals Nade scored.

From what I've seen of Thomson, albeit it was a friendly, he looks like a quality addition. I have absolutely no issue with him being Nade's replacement. By the sounds of things he's been impressive in all of the friendlies.

I appear to have lost a few thousand as well. 

Gies our posts back Div!

Anyway, all the best to the big man at Stranraer. If they can keep him fit he'll be a potential promotion winning signing. We're crippled financially and they pay fantastic money, so I can't blame him one bit for going, and I can't blame us for not pushing the boat out to keep him. He is injury prone and his season with us may well turn out to be a fluke - it's the best he's had at any club he's ever been at.

Part of me is devastated he's gone, but the other part of me knows it's for the best...if that doesn't sound stupidly sentimental. Very glad he won't be lining up against us next season however.

The Prince is dead, long live King Berbathom.

Crippled? What exactly have you heard, wee man?

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Crippled? What exactly have you heard, wee man?

Nothing that hasn't been said on here, clearly our finances are not as generous (or as comfortable) as they were last season, hence the missing out on players and smaller squad sizes.

Perhaps "crippled" was an exageration, stretched would perhaps be more apt.

Stranraer must be banking on promotion this season. A good number of their players won't be there on the cheap. Aggy, Nade, Malcolm, Bell etc will be well paid and for a club that only generate around 400 a week, it's a lot.

Begging buckets will be back on show soon enough without promotion.....

Surely it would be more concerning if we were paying silly wages? I'd rather finish bottom with 0 points than spend what we can't afford.

We have guys like Barr, Stirling, Buchanan, Fleming, Wright and Stevenson who will be on a very decent part-time wage. You could probably throw Mark Brown and Gallagher in there as well. We aren't scrimping by with u17's and lower league jobbers, all of them should be capable of doing a job at this level. Losing out on Nade and Agnew is no big deal IMO.

The quality of our squad is absolutely fine, just require a couple of more bodies and we'll be sorted.

Of course it is but think the cost cutting ie under 20s and the size of the squad is concerning.
don't think we have improved in the squad last year. I think it's a poorer team however I may be proved wrong

And don't think brown is helping things tbh

36 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Don't like this new P&B look at all, especially not on mobile device. :(

Regarding Nade, if money is his master, then f**K him, playing at a lower level for a couple of bucks more. Jog on son 

Apparently Nade lives in Auchinleck so geography may have a bearing in all of this.  Anyway, he's Joe The Toff so let's get on with finding a foil for Thomson.