Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Stranraer must be banking on promotion this season. A good number of their players won't be there on the cheap. Aggy, Nade, Malcolm, Bell etc will be well paid and for a club that only generate around 400 a week, it's a lot.

Begging buckets will be back on show soon enough without promotion.....

They got a fair bit of cash from Celtic in the cup last year on tv and have Rangers away in the League Cup on a shared gate this summer too. Couple of windfalls there.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They got a fair bit of cash from Celtic in the cup last year on tv and have Rangers away in the League Cup on a shared gate this summer too. Couple of windfalls there.

They done work on their cow shed with some of that money. We'll see how their season goes and where they are when they fail to get promoted again.

They done work on their cow shed with some of that money. We'll see how their season goes and where they are when they fail to get promoted again.

That was the year before off the Dundee United TV money.

39 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Apparently Nade lives in Auchinleck so geography may have a bearing in all of this.  Anyway, he's Joe The Toff so let's get on with finding a foil for Thomson.

Fair enough. I thought he looked pretty happy turning out for Sons last season though. Found a decent level with us & was hitting the net fairly regularly. He should, in theory, run riot in League 1. 

I haven't seen us in pre-season yet but the very initial sounds on Thomson sound pretty promising. I'm hopeful he can be our main foil for the season ahead.

We do look relatively light up-front though, Thomson aside. If Nade had been interested in coming back, I'd have gladly had him, he's got experience of scoring goals at this level. We don't currently have that, but if we can get Thomson support, maybe he can be another Jim Lister for us.

Got to love some folk right enough... I too am surprised at Nade dropping a league.

But at the end of the day... not only did we hear he was out of shape. But more money makes it a no brainer for him! 

If I was offered a job in a lower position at work with an increased wage... At the end of the day, they guy is trying to make a living.

Edited by squeezeboxson

Got to love some folk right enough... I too am surprised at Nade dropping a league.

But at the end of the day... not only did we hear he was out of shape. But more money makes it a no brainer for him! 

If I was offered a job in a lower position at work with an increased wage... At the end of the day, they guy is trying to make a living.

Oh I don't blame him in any way, it makes complete sense for him. I wouldn't in any way have a go at him for his decision. It's the lack of a replacement that concerns me slightly. And while RT may well fill the void, it's a complete unknown whether he will at the moment.

17 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Oh I don't blame him in any way, it makes complete sense for him. I wouldn't in any way have a go at him for his decision. It's the lack of a replacement that concerns me slightly. And while RT may well fill the void, it's a complete unknown whether he will at the moment.

Whilst Thomson is a gamble, you could potentially same the same about Nade re-signing. His form with us last season was the best of his career - by some distance - and combined with his injury record it would suggest that the chances of him replicating his form across the full season were fairly low.

Or maybe I'm trying to console myself...who knows!

Whilst Thomson is a gamble, you could potentially same the same about Nade re-signing. His form with us last season was the best of his career - by some distance - and combined with his injury record it would suggest that the chances of him replicating his form across the full season were fairly low.

Or maybe I'm trying to console myself...who knows!

Yeah I suppose that's true.

I'm hopeful Thomson will prove to be a good signing, I'm just wary that he's unproven at this level, whereas Nade is a proven goalscorer.

We could miss him, or Thomson could fill the void left by Nade's departure and he'll be soon forgotten. I just hope that we're not undone this season by the same issues as last, in not scoring enough goals.

Interesting thing actually, Nadè had 30 career league goals before signing for us...the same number as Thommo currently.

Now obviously Nadè's are at a higher level, but his goal to game ratio is, and always has been, pretty poor.

Romanian Rab :bairn

Sounds like Barr's could be a pretty ongoing thing which is a worry. Don't have an issue with us using the loan market for the final two players, and I'm glad to see that he's learned from last years bulk buying of dross players.

A little surprising we're not going for Tatar. By all accounts he sounded like a quality player? Is that injury he picked up serious or were his wage demands too high?

Could be a number of reasons I suppose.

For a start he's not from here so I imagine accommodation would beed to be arranged. That wont come cheap and I'm not sure he could sustain a decent standard of living on a part-time Dumbarton wage without the club covering some of the costs.

It could also be that Barr's injury will potentially keep him out for a while so perhaps those funds now need to be utilised bringing in defensive cover.

He looked decent enough in a couple of friendlies but it's quite hard to judge. Perhaps Stevie wasn't overly keen on what he saw of him in training compared to the other guys.

Anybodys guess I suppose.