Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It seems our squad list has been updated with "Development Players" Ryan Clark And Amadou Kassarate.  Assuming they've been signed up now then.

I didn't notice that, but I did notice they had named them (well Clark) for the game at the weekend and things. So I assumed some kind of agreement must have been reached for a contract. 

Love how we have development players without a development squad/team for them to play in...

34 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I didn't notice that, but I did notice they had named them (well Clark) for the game at the weekend and things. So I assumed some kind of agreement must have been reached for a contract. 

Love how we have development players without a development squad/team for them to play in...

Given our squad size it's just as well they don't have another side to play for. It could be a good thing for these boys, previously they wouldn't have gotten a look in but this year we don't have a choice but to use them. That could progress them quicker than playing in the 20s for another year. It could also have the opposite effect if they are nowhere near ready.

Ideally these boys take their chance and provide competition for the rest of the team, which is actually what I'm most concerned about (other than racking up injuries). If the starting 11 get comfortable knowing that no one is ready to step in and replace them then it could effect their performance. But, that's down to Stevie to keep them motivated.

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

The reason we have a tough situation is simple, the budget was overspent last year and that ate into this years.

Let's say something like this. It's completely reduced and simplified because I'm useless at maths. Last season Stevie had £1000 a week to spend on squad wages, in order to bring in Nade and Heffernan and the like he borrowed an extra £150 each week from this season's budget. Therefore our budget this year is down to £850 per week for wages.

It's not the loss of a sugar daddy, it's not a financial crisis, it's not the loss of the 'blue pound', it's just budgeting like we'd all do at home. That's certainly how I understand it anyway.

Don't you go and put logic into this. Some fans are happy believing the club is constantly in crisis. ;)

44 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Don't you go and put logic into this. Some fans are happy believing the club is constantly in crisis. ;)

Perhaps not constant crisis, but not in a particularly good place either.  With the club ownership in the hands of people who have little interest, emotion or above all cash to invest then finance will always be a problem, and so it is proving.  Unlike some other clubs, Airdrie and Stranraer for example, there is no benefactor and we have to live within our means on very small gate income, which I understand became a real issue towards the end of last season, hence a bout of austerity this time around.

Stevie Aitken and Stevie Farrell are having to play a very restricted hand, and we all need to recognise that.  So8's logic was completely sound, and five seasons in The Championship during Brabco's ownership is nothing short of remarkable.

Whilst there is absolutely no need to panick I can understand why people are. The negativity is creeping back into Stevie's interviews after a short spell of positive sounding interviews. I mean the headline on the OS is 'Tough Time For Boss'. It's completely understandable why folk are reading it and thinking 'f**k'.

I have nae idea whether it's all about trying to lower expectations or what but I'd like to see things revert back to the positive tone that was being used for a short while there.

If we go down, we go down. Lets not make excuses before a ball is kicked.

If we're negative now, just imagine the reaction to Forfar Athletic 2 (Lister 41,88) Dumbarton 1 (Stevenson (pen) 14) on Saturday.

Kidding on of course, we'll stick brackets beyond those Bridie obsessed weirdos 8) Positivity is the Key

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Haud the bus, Forfar have Super Jimmy? 

I miss out on the bridie mascot debut AND Jimmy Lister :(  FML

They do. I'm absolutely buzzing to see him again to be honest, I'm not even bothered in the slightest if he scores. In fact I might actually be happy.

What a man :wub:

I'll try and smuggle him back for us to use. I don't care if he's almost 40 and can't run, he's still one of my favourite ever one season wonders.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

They do. I'm absolutely buzzing to see him again to be honest, I'm not even bothered in the slightest if he scores. In fact I might actually be happy.

I'll try and smuggle him back for us to use. I don't care if he's almost 40 and can't run, he's still one of my favourite ever one season wonders.

The more you think back and take into account his form since he left and his form until he joined us, it is nothing short of miraculous what he produced that season. He was outstanding and FT teams were looking at him on the back of it.

Whatever it was that made him choose to step down to the level below and things... It stopped him continuing the best for of his career, by miles, into the next season with us or another championship side.

Edited by squeezeboxson

He can certainly still run. Guys still well capable of playing League 1 football.

Prunty & Lister is probably my favourite strikeforce of all time 

Anyway, our former trialist Josh Peters (the one from Hibs and Strathspey) is on trial with Berwick Rangers this evening. Just on the off chance anyone cares in the slightest.

Slightly off topic...

Ordered the polo shirt, mug and zip top from the online store on Friday morning and it arrived on the Monday. The grey polo is really smart looking. Decent quality as well. 

We've all grumbled about this subject in the past so pleased to see it's been sorted.

31 minutes ago, PWL said:

Slightly off topic...

Ordered the polo shirt, mug and zip top from the online store on Friday morning and it arrived on the Monday. The grey polo is really smart looking. Decent quality as well. 

We've all grumbled about this subject in the past so pleased to see it's been sorted.

I ordered mine the day it went live and still don't have it :(

(Not a grumble btw, just jealous)