Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

In all reality it seems we are a club fighting to avoid the threat of administration....i feel a good run in the LC may be neccesary for us to have any chance of strengthening in January.The current article 'tough times for the boss' kinda says it all.Steve doing a good job to build a decent first 11 but thats about it.So hope i am wrong with all of this.

:lol::lol::lol:

Stevie overspent the budget last season, it is therefore cut this season. Simmer right down.

The only thing that article says to me is that we're finding it hard to find the right players (which we need as our budget is smaller). Taking a look at Ayr or Morton's thread and it would seem they have much the same problem.  Everyone is looking for a striker outside of Hibs and Falkirk, of course we're going to find it tough.

In all reality it seems we are a club fighting to avoid the threat of administration....i feel a good run in the LC may be neccesary for us to have any chance of strengthening in January.The current article 'tough times for the boss' kinda says it all.Steve doing a good job to build a decent first 11 but thats about it.So hope i am wrong with all of this.

Jesus :lol:

Get it together Lorenzo.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

David Smith looks like a massive improvement on Kevin Cawley never mind Heffernan (who I had actually completely forgotten about!)

Obviously it's far too early to judge anyone, but I'd agree our starting lineup this season looks slightly stronger than it did last year.

Edit: That got me thinking about our bench on our first 'proper' game last year. It was:

Nathan Adger, Andy Graham, Darren Miller, Donald McCallum, Gordon Smith, Mikey Hopkins.

That's not a strong bench at all either. I'm therefore totally relaxed about our current bench.

Stick a T before Adger please. :unsure:

Barring a couple of howlers Steven Saunders was actually a very good defender and proved useful at scoring goals against Raith. He wasn't one for hitting bylines and floating in dreamy crosses but in the end it mattered little. It was unfortunate we couldn't hold onto him.

Talk of insolvency events isn't helpful - back it up or just accept the budget realignment. And if I was a Stranraer fan I'd be seriously concerned about overspending, given their ropey past. 

Morton will be feeling the squeeze as well. Last year they had 4 guaranteed full houses in a much bigger stadium than ours, this year they are only guaranteed 2 (st Mirren) everyone wants a striker that can score and at the minute it looks like we have one.....well a handsome one at least. Let's not chat like we're down just yet. Seems like some of the ppl that were slating Stevie from January last year have just continued into this year.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Exactly, the only people Morton have signed over the summer is Michael Doyle and our receptionist. Signing the right players doesn't come easy.

Gary Oliver and Jamie McDonagh as well. Still need another 4/5 players though.

Just now, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Gary Oliver and Jamie McDonagh as well. Still need another 4/5 players though.

Didn't realise that, I thought Oliver had signed somewhere else actually. Point stands though, everyone is finding it hard to get the right players in.

39 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Jamie Ewings is suffering with sciatica. Hope he recovers for the weekend.

Funny, this time last year I was elated that we seemed to have signed a keeper who would put to bed the great keeper debate that had raged across this forum for some 3 years. Ewings looked to be consigned to the bench forever.

One year on and we're praying for his involvement because:

1. He's actually pretty good, and

2. The alternative is too hideous to contemplate.