Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I and some others have drawn the conclusion that we are on a 'vastly reduced' budget.

It may be complete nonsense, but if you evaluate it, it makes sense that we are on a fair bit of a lower budget than last year.

Ok, if Stranraer have a benefactor, then they'll be getting good investment and we can't compete with that sort of input, but Alloa have signed a good few players who I, and maybe I'm alone in this, wouldn't have minded seeing pitch up at The Rock. Whether that is to do with budget, I don't know for sure, but some have suggested that we aren't paying as much as Alloa and maybe some other League One clubs. And that's concerning.

If we need to cut our cloth, fine, but our budgets do seem to be on the thin side and it does beg the question about money management and can't help but lead to scepticism and reservations about our expectations and aim for this season.

Thats a good reasonable response.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We had Mark Docherty in the papers telling us he had full-time offers.  The Pars were apparently in for Buchanan.  Chat of Barr going to St Mirren has been rife for about 6 months.  I don't believe for a second that none of our squad had offers from elsewhere, nor do I doubt that if we were paying them shite wages that they'd have been able to get themselves a deal elsewhere. How come players that we released managed to find clubs no problem at the top end of League 1, yet nobody wanted the players we actually wanted to keep?

League 1 sides such as Stranraer, who openly admit to having cash to splash this year is no shame. We are ourselves, in all but divisional status, a League 1 side so I don't find it too ridiculous that we're competing with the likes of Stranraer and Alloa for players.

We overspent last year, the U20s cost us somewhere in the region of £40K to run apparently so stopping that for 1 year is obviously to offset the overspend last year. Antonia's been offered a better position at Morton that she'd have been daft not to take.

You need to be in debt to go into administration which by all accounts we are not, unless you know something that hasn't been communicated to us then talk of administration helps nothing.

Good reply Moonster and i agree with what you say.Remember i just passed on what i was told about the wages and player (lack of )offers .I mentioned avoiding the THREAT of administration not neccesarily meaning that we will end up there.Stranraer Stenny and Livi have been under that threat in recent years but avoided it.Im suggesting that this year we are doing the same.I think the action we are taking in terms of cuts is good and obviously necessary.  

55 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Expectations and aims?

I expect the bottom three and we aim for 8th.

or when you say "our expectations and aims" do you mean the club management and board?

Anyone any ideas who this possible signing could be before Saturday?Granted, 8th is always good enough, but is it really? Should we not be aiming for 7th, then 6th, then so in and so on. 

It's the managers job to survive, end of . 8th the target, above should be there aim,  Murray did it, spot my username.

2 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Anyone any ideas who this possible signing could be before Saturday?Granted, 8th is always good enough, but is it really? Should we not be aiming for 7th, then 6th, then so in and so on. 

It's the managers job to survive, end of . 8th the target, above should be there aim,  Murray did it, spot my username.

8th may be achieveable but it depends on who the last 2 players will be.Supposing we get the better of AYR what other team could we realistically beat over the 36 games???

8th may be achieveable but it depends on who the last 2 players will be.Supposing we get the better of AYR what other team could we realistically beat over the 36 games???

Dunfermline & QOTS. There will be 4 of us IMO

7 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Dunfermline & QOTS. There will be 4 of us IMO

As it stands with our current squad we'll (morton) be in and around the bottom 4. Threadbare squad with very little in terms of attacking options. Long season ahead. 

7 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

To be fair, we have been quite lucky the last few years. Livi (twice), Cowdenbeath, Morton, and Dunfermline have all helped up out at one point or another along the way to survive in this league. But we also helped ourselves out a lot. 

Of course there is no guarantee, but there is always a chance that Morton, Queens, Raithby (less likely after last season!) or Dunfermline are down there fighting for survival.

Edited by squeezeboxson

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

To be fair, we have been quite lucky the last few years. Livi (twice), Cowdenbeath, Morton, and Dunfermline have all helped up out at one point or another along the way in survive in this league. But we also helped ourselves out a lot. 

Of course there is no guarantee, but there is always a chance that Morton, Queens, Raithby (less likely after last season!) or Dunfermline are down there fighting for survival.

I just feel the full time status of those clubs will matter in the end.As far as squad size goes i think we are probably the weakest in that area SO FAR.Depends a lot in who we get in and who morton , ayr etc get in between now and the end of august.

9 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

I can assure you Stranraer don't have a benefactor. We are a member owned club, with no shares ,who elect a management committee to run the club, we now only spend what our budget allows, had quite a few televised games in the last few seasons which helped, with good management from our committee we now are stable.

How many Cup games have been televised that you've been involved in? As you don't get a single penny extra for playing in televised league games.

4 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I just feel the full time status of those clubs will matter in the end.As far as squad size goes i think we are probably the weakest in that area SO FAR.Depends a lot in who we get in and who morton , ayr etc get in between now and the end of august.

Frazer.JPG

25 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

The full time status of Morton, Livingston, Dunfermline, Queens (not so long ago) and to a lesser extent St Mirren last year has not made the slightest bit of difference to them struggling in the last 5 years or so. If any team gets the blend wrong or management just doesn't work out then there's every chance of that happening again.

I agree it looks difficult for us, but we are capable of competing. Really no need to be pressing the panic button just yet.

As it stands with our current squad we'll (morton) be in and around the bottom 4. Threadbare squad with very little in terms of attacking options. Long season ahead. 

We'll add a few names. Whether they make a difference is another matter but the squad as it is isn't our squad for the season.

We'll add a few names. Whether they make a difference is another matter but the squad as it is isn't our squad for the season.

Much like ourselves then.

Although some would have you believe we require the begging buckets and the investment of a sheikh just to make it to September. Bizarre stuff.

We don't have a lot of numbers in the squad, no, but neither do a few teams. Quality wise I'd say we're stronger than a couple too.

There's no point in this hysterical reaction to everything. We might go down this year, so what? The club are fine financially as (for about the millionth time) the budget is only lower because Stevie effectively borrowed from it last year.

The fact that clubs in the League below us our paying higher wages has always been the case. I know what a few Stranraer players are on and fair play to them, we couldn't afford that last season never mind this, and assuming it's above board they've been excellent with their finances recently. I'd be more concerned if it was us paying that money to be honest.

At the end of the day football is meant to be enjoyable. Relax, enjoy the season, and whatever happens happens! No need to be tearing your hair out about it.

Why are folk doubting we can finish above a full-time team? We've done it just about every year since we were promoted. Queens and Raith both have new managers who are untested at this level, it'll only take one of them to hit poor form and be dragged into it.

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Why are folk doubting we can finish above a full-time team? We've done it just about every year since we were promoted. Queens and Raith both have new managers who are untested at this level, it'll only take one of them to hit poor form and be dragged into it.

Yip. You only have to look at ourselves over the past 2/3 years. Being full time doesn't give teams much of an advantage over part time teams. Suppose it's down to each individual club but morton haven't made the most of their full time status at all.