Sons' sorrow

Dumbarton manager Stephen Aitken: "It's never easy coming to places like Easter Road against a team that people see as a Premier League side.

"We had to get over the disappointment of midweek, but I thought the players gave everything they had today and, in the first half, we made it a good contest.

"We are in the mix, so we just have to build on that first-half performance."

4 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Dumbarton manager Stephen Aitken: "It's never easy coming to places like Easter Road against a team that people see as a Premier League side.

"We had to get over the disappointment of midweek, but I thought the players gave everything they had today and, in the first half, we made it a good contest.

"We are in the mix, so we just have to build on that first-half performance."

I genuinely thought you had made this up at first :lol: He's stupidly predictable

No wonder we go and put in the same, dross, performances every single week. We showed them far, far too much respect today (as we've done with pretty much every other side this season) and I can't help but feel that, that comes from him calling every team in the league Premiership quality. I also don't buy that the players gave everything, sure it was far better than Bonnyrigg, but that isn't saying much. We were still second to almost every ball today and made it extremely easy for Hibs.

The first half performance was alright, but given we didn't have a shot on target in the whole 90 minutes I'd hardly say it was a great base to build on.

I have literally no idea why I bothered going today. 

Every week I catch up on a lot of the highlights from games in our league and every week I think the same things when I watch Ayr playing.

Firstly, it would be great to play the way they do. tracking teams and creating chances. Getting men forward and into the opposition box.

Secondly, and something I think which contributes very highly to the first point, Gary Harkins is exactly the kind of player we lack. Someone to link everything when the ball goes from back to front. He is such a top players and I reckon they would be struggling without him.

Here's hoping we can find someone like that in January. Ready earlier someone saying about we can only think back to guys like Kane but his first spell was when he joined in the January window. Always young players out there who need game time. Just need to find the right one(s) for us.

On Steve Aitken, he's not the only manager whose post match interviews follow a pattern. For example, Peter Houston in defeat will always blame the ref, the wind, the pitch or some other peripheral agency for any disappointing result. Unless there's a certainty of bringing in somebody better, it might be better to sit tight with Aitken. As that would seem to be the deal anyway with the club's financial position, it looks like he gets the leeway to prove he can keep us up. I'm not actually sure if the club's habit of sacking managers every 18 months has helped much over the last 45 years anyway. As I said on the Hibs match thread, the irony could be that it might be worth keeping Aitken if we go down with the converse maybe being the case if he pulls the rabbit from the hat.

I'm sure I seen three different quotes from Stevie in yesterdays papers Wilf. The sons tv interview with him also has some more detail.

Perhaps he does touch on the same points (p/t team, bigger teams, etc) in every post game interview, but it doesnt seem t be the only things he comments on.

It doesn't hugely bother me in all honesty, but if we are discussing his interviews, there's no denying they are fairly cliche'd and he often goes off on a tangent about how we're part-time, low budget, poor us etc etc. I find it so boring I now don't bother watching them. Comparing him to Peter Houston, a guy who is widely regarded as being a p***k due to his constant blame game, isn't any sort of defence, that's a bad thing.

FWIW - I spoke to guy who is involved in the game at our level and the first thing he mentioned to me was the post-match interviews. And that was the morning after the great Bonnyrigg disaster of 2016.

It doesn't hugely bother me in all honesty, but if we are discussing his interviews, there's no denying they are fairly cliche'd and he often goes off on a tangent about how we're part-time, low budget, poor us etc etc. I find it so boring I now don't bother watching them. Comparing him to Peter Houston, a guy who is widely regarded as being a p***k due to his constant blame game, isn't any sort of defence, that's a bad thing.

FWIW - I spoke to guy who is involved in the game at our level and the first thing he mentioned to me was the post-match interviews. And that was the morning after the great Bonnyrigg disaster of 2016.
I only used Houston as an example. There are plenty more and most are cliche ridden. To be fair

I don't have an issue with cliches, but I do have an issue with the inferiority complex he builds up in every interview. The St Mirren being a Premiership club comment was the pinnacle of that.

The constant negativity about how hard he's got it irritates me too. Remember back in pre-season when we had about 8 players signed and the website headline was 'Tough time for gaffer' or something like that, with an article where he told us how low the budget was and stuff. It reeked of excuses being used before they were needed.