Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Why would a fan have to stump up the cash to pay off Aitken? That's the boards responsibility.

He's been underperforming for the best part of a yearsympathy board should have had a contingency plan in place going into this season. If that meant not stumping up the wages for 2 or 3 players then so be it. I'm absolutely astounded that people are so easy going about the board not having enough money to rectify this situation. Why the hell would you sympathise with that? They knew going into this season that he was on a shoogly peg to begin with. They knew if he didn't make a good start he had to go. It's almost like a forced positivity/sympathy type thing going on, it's just odd.

FWIW I'm absolutely convinced that if the board want to bag him they will find a way to get the funds to do so.

Not only does the club have no money, it has a debt that there is absolutely no chance of trading out of.  Whilst this is the shitty parcel that the board were left holding when the music stopped, it wasn't them who accrued the debt. John Steele took the position as chairman on the condition that he would be providing expertise and assistance, not money. 

The club is in a situation where another five figures on to their current debt might be the tipping point for oblivion. The board has already stared into that abyss at least once this year.  Whilst things are desperate on the pitch they are much more desperate and immediate at the bank. Sympathy has nothing to do with it.

The club took a hit of around £150k through the various effects of relegation.
How do you start to plan for sacking your manager?
By not signing a squad of 20 odd players and trying to save cash for a potential pay of an underperforming manager. A big part of that hit is a reduction in paying customers, of which a fair whack are probably not turning up because of the man in charge of the football team.

Like I said in a previous post I'm fairly confident the board will find the cash to pay him off when they deem it necessary (which should have been last weekend IMO). If they can't though, they are absolutely responsible for that predicament, the same way the manager is responsible for the on the park shambles. As it stands we could be looking at being in a relegation battle with the current manager in charge. They set the budgets at the start of the season, they have to account for this potential situation arising, and if they didn't then that's incompetence on their part.

Not only does the club have no money, it has a debt that there is absolutely no chance of trading out of.  Whilst this is the shitty parcel that the board were left holding when the music stopped, it wasn't them who accrued the debt. John Steele took the position as chairman on the condition that he would be providing expertise and assistance, not money. 
The club is in a situation where another five figures on to their current debt might be the tipping point for oblivion. The board has already stared into that abyss at least once this year.  Whilst things are desperate on the pitch they are much more desperate and immediate at the bank. Sympathy has nothing to do with it.
Then why are we operating with a budget that is easily higher than at least half of the other teams in this league?

The current board are responsible for this seasons playing budget, whether people want to admit it or not.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Then why are we operating with a budget that is easily higher than at least half of the other teams in this league?

The current board are responsible for this seasons playing budget, whether people want to admit it or not.

I don't understand. On the one hand, you're criticising the board for not spunking money to pay Aitken off.  At the same time, you seem to be criticising them for investing in the playing squad.  If there was a financial impediment to getting rid of Aitken, then there is an easy answer. Sonstrust has the money. Presumably, though, the Sonstrust board don't think that's a  good use of their funds. 

I don't understand. On the one hand, you're criticising the board for not spunking money to pay Aitken off.  At the same time, you seem to be criticising them for investing in the playing squad.  If there was a financial impediment to getting rid of Aitken, then there is an easy answer. Sonstrust has the money. Presumably, though, the Sonstrust board don't think that's a  good use of their funds. 
Paying Aitken off isn't "spunking money", it's doing the right thing to stop the rot and avoid a relegation battle. If you had offered me Rory Loy, Michael Paton and Ross Forbes at the start of the season or a contingency fund to ensure we could pay off Aitken should he have us joint bottom of the league after quarter 1 I know what option I would have taken. You can't roll out the "we're skint" chat whilst we operate with a top 4 budget. Are we more skint than Montrose, Forfar, Stenny, Stranraer or Brechin? If we are then why is our playing budget more than theirs?

It's not the Sonstrust responsibility to pay off Aitken. If they don't want to use any disposable cash they have to pay him off that's their choice. If I was in charge of the Sonstrust funds would I do it? Absolutely. But they shouldn't even come into it.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Paying Aitken off isn't "spunking money", it's doing the right thing to stop the rot and avoid a relegation battle. If you had offered me Rory Loy, Michael Paton and Ross Forbes at the start of the season or a contingency fund to ensure we could pay off Aitken should he have us joint bottom of the league after quarter 1 I know what option I would have taken. You can't roll out the "we're skint" chat whilst we operate with a top 4 budget. Are we more skint than Montrose, Forfar, Stenny, Stranraer or Brechin? If we are then why is our playing budget more than theirs?

It's not the Sonstrust responsibility to pay off Aitken. If they don't want to use any disposable cash they have to pay him off that's their choice. If I was in charge of the Sonstrust funds would I do it? Absolutely. But they shouldn't even come into it.

Its a fair point..why do we have such a strong playing budget when we are in such a financial pickle? The omens werent good for SA close season but i was all for giving him a chance.I wou;ld however have left the option of removing him if things went badly.Its a bit like putting all your eggs in one basket just like Brabco.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Would paying Aitken off be guaranteed to "stop the rot" or the injury crisis?  All very well to say what you would rather have with the benefit of hindsight.

1 minute ago, Frank conner said:

Just get your sponsors to pay your manager off! If they can afford to create jobs for players why can't they afford to pay him off.

They're not creating jobs for players. This isnt Hamilton Tarmac buying the juniors with Hurlford.

If they can offer a player a job then it makes it easier for the club to offer a wage that, when combined with work outside of football, convinces the player to sign. If the sponsor in question didn't have enough work needing done then they certainly wouldn't be creating jobs just to help the football club.

Would paying Aitken off be guaranteed to "stop the rot" or the injury crisis?  All very well to say what you would rather have with the benefit of hindsight.
It wouldn't be guaranteed, no, but it would at least give us a fighting chance.

Given I was hoping Aitken would leave post play offs it's not really the benefit of hindsight. I didn't want him to be in charge this season, and I would have happily accepted a cut to the playing budget to empty him. I would also have happily accepted a cut to the playing budget if we are in as precarious a financial position as some people on here seem to suggest we are. If we are as skint as suggested, we are quite clearly operating with a budget outwith our means.

Financial crises aren't new at DFC. They nearly went out of business in the early 50s (see club history) There was a real worry when Sir Hugh Fraser died and his estate demanded the return of a £40 k loan (done with Steve McCahill transfer money) Gilbert Lawrie save d the club when the de facto majority shareholder Jim Innes had reached an agreement with a housebuilder in 1996 for the sale of Boghead. John McFall MP stepped in with £200k he managed to source to fund a shortfall over the building of the stadium.  And then there's the recent one with a former chairman threatening to force a winding-up order which was only avoided by a timely intervention by another former chairman.

Just get your sponsors to pay your manager off! If they can afford to create jobs for players why can't they afford to pay him off.
Yea, let's do that!

Except our sponsors run a company, which is growing, and able to offer players jobs. They don't go out their way to create jobs at their own expense. They aren't financially running themselves into the ground so Rory Loy and Ross Forbes can graft on railway lines and play for Dumbarton. Being able to offer people jobs and stump up cash to pay off a member of the Dumbarton FC managerial staff isn't remotely comparible, despite what your bitter mind wants to believe.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Why would a fan have to stump up the cash to pay off Aitken? That's the boards responsibility.

He's been underperforming for the best part of a year, the board should have had a contingency plan in place going into this season. If that meant not stumping up the wages for 2 or 3 players then so be it. I'm absolutely astounded that people are so easy going about the board not having enough money to rectify this situation. Why the hell would you sympathise with that? They knew going into this season that he was on a shoogly peg to begin with. They knew if he didn't make a good start he had to go. It's almost like a forced positivity/sympathy type thing going on, it's just odd.

FWIW I'm absolutely convinced that if the board want to bag him they will find a way to get the funds to do so.

Im sure you realise I wasn’t seriously suggesting a fan stumps up the cash, simply making the point that someone has too. That’s the reality. All very easy to demand someone else puts their hand in their pocket.

For what it’s worth I now believe it is enevitable that aitken will move on, probably in the next week or two. It’s not as black and white as what you and others are implying though. There’s tough decisions ahead and I’m sure the board are well aware of their responsibilities and will act accordingly. Every chance though that Atken will take that decision out of their hands.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

The people in question my friend belong to Aitkens Army.You are as well arguing with a wall as no matter what you say Aitken MUST stay.Save your breath/keyboard.

Well that’s not true.

16 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

They're not creating jobs for players. This isnt Hamilton Tarmac buying the juniors with Hurlford.

If they can offer a player a job then it makes it easier for the club to offer a wage that, when combined with work outside of football, convinces the player to sign. If the sponsor in question didn't have enough work needing done then they certainly wouldn't be creating jobs just to help the football club.

It seems it was part of the deal I'm sure there are plenty people looking for a job I'm sure those players  you signed had adequate experience.  It just looks like it's all falling apart and your years of punching above your weight have gone.

Im sure you realise I wasn’t seriously suggesting a fan stumps up the cash, simply making the point that someone has too. That’s the reality. All very easy to demand someone else puts their hand in their pocket.
For what it’s worth I now believe it is enevitable that aitken will move on, probably in the next week or two. It’s not as black and white as what you and others are implying though. There’s tough decisions ahead and I’m sure the board are well aware of their responsibilities and will act accordingly. Every chance though that Atken will take that decision out of their hands.
That's my point. With sensible control of our budget no one would have put their hand in their pocket to empty Aitken, or to sign players for the first team.