Sons' sorrow

4 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I reckon Spencer had for far, or another club lined up for a while now. In all honesty, why else would the mgr pick some of our barely fit players to start in front of him?

If he did then he must've had it lined up for quite a bit of time given Duffy dropped him for his first game, and then left him on the bench for his second - bringing on Scott Allardice in centre-mid ahead of him when we were needing a goal.

It looked to me like Duffy just didn't fancy him at all. Whether that was because he didn't like what he'd seen from him under Aitken, or whether it was his attitude, how he trained, or whatever, I just got the feeling Duffy wasn't a fan. Ultimately we've got to trust him on that, but with our squad seriously thin on players the decision to let him go might (and only might) be one that comes back to bite.

1 hour ago, son hawk said:

I think our fans, or certainly Ross Forbes, rated Brad Spencer more the less he played. Was a good squad filler I feel but nothing more.

This is pretty much my feelings on him. He didn't, imo, do anything particularly good. He was an option but for me he never looked that great. He'll do fine for most teams in this league - as a squad player.

ETA - Despite his ability to run I never thought he was that good a keeping possession of the ball and was a tad lightweight.

Edited by squeezeboxson

I had a feeling he'd get a decent move after he left.

I'd have him over one our current starting centre mids tbh.

I’d have him over Hutton any day. Yes he’s playing with an injury but the majority of pressure/counter attack we come under come from him not sticking a foot in or him loosing the ball and then with out a doubt will scream at another player and blame him.

5 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

I’d have him over Hutton any day. Yes he’s playing with an injury but the majority of pressure/counter attack we come under come from him not sticking a foot in or him loosing the ball and then with out a doubt will scream at another player and blame him.

Again - Hutton getting criticism. Spencer was no better in my opinion. Especially as you specifically mention keeping possession.  For me - Hutton has been one of the more consistent performers since Duffy came in.

There seems to be a lot of panic. For me - I'll be worried come Wednesday or Thursday is we haven't announced any signings. I agree we aren't in a great place but stand by my point of Duffy wouldn't have let these guys leave if there wasn't some way he was going to replace them.

Of course, no one knows either way if the replacements will be improvements...

Again - Hutton getting criticism. Spencer was no better in my opinion. Especially as you specifically mention keeping possession.  For me - Hutton has been one of the more consistent performers since Duffy came in.

Spencer could barely string 2 starts together so it's impossible to say he looked no better than Hutton, who has been consistently shite since he arrived. Players need a good run of games and Spencer never got that. Hutton had a couple of decent games after Duffy arrived before quickly reverting back to his old self.

Based on the balance of our squad Spencer looked to be a more useful option than Hutton, he just never got the chance. Our midfield was crying out for a player with energy who was hard in the tackle, especially when deployed alongside Forbes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spencer do well at Forfar. He always looked handy coming off the bench IMO.

I fear if we don't announce some signings over the next day or two we could be looking a seriously low attendence on Saturday. A lot of our supporters seem very restless with the squad situation at the minute and come Thursday they may have already decided not to bother with Saturday's match.

The signings may be announced on Friday or whatever but by that point folk may have already made alternative plans. I hope the board are pushing Duffy to get some signings confirmed and announced asap, we can ill afford for crowd numbers to drop any lower than they already are.

Training tonight so fingers crossed we get a photo of 4 jobbers in the Berburb cleaning cupboard sporting our training gear.

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I fear if we don't announce some signings over the next day or two we could be looking a seriously low attendance on Saturday. A lot of our supporters seem very restless with the squad situation at the minute and come Thursday they may have already decided not to bother with Saturday's match.

The signings may be announced on Friday or whatever but by that point folk may have already made alternative plans. I hope the board are pushing Duffy to get some signings confirmed and announced asap, we can ill afford for crowd numbers to drop any lower than they already are.

Training tonight so fingers crossed we get a photo of 4 jobbers in the Berburb cleaning cupboard sporting our training gear.

I was thinking the same. Our support aren't in a good place with the club, folk have even been going tonto at the former players birthday messages on Twitter :lol:

Add that to the fact everyone's skint, miserable weather and poor form, and it looks like the perfect cocktail for a rubbish home support. In a game where we really need a decent crowd too.

We normally do our business on a Tuesday and Thursday so, as you say, here's hoping that we get a decent wedge of signing news tonight. Something really has to happen to lift the doom around the place at the moment.

Seems big Berba isn't a goer either :(

15 hours ago, son hawk said:

I think our fans, or certainly Ross Forbes, rated Brad Spencer more the less he played. Was a good squad filler I feel but nothing more.

15 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

He was a centre-mid who could run, score goals and go box-to-box no bother.

He might not have been peak Chris Turner or Scott Agnes Agnew, but we don't have anyone else who can do that.

Got to agree with son hawk here tbh, Spencer was another midfielder who was incapable of bossing a game. Aye, he had a decent strike on him, but he wasn't exactly brilliant at anything else. He could run around but he wasn't great at tackling, don't remember any killer passes either. You could probably have emptied any one of Hutton, Carswell or Spencer and not much has changed about the squad, all very similar and ineffective in an attacking sense. Decent squad player but we have too many of them. Hutton appears to be our captain and Carswell is filling in nicely at centre half just now, so Spencer was almost the most likely one to be moved on.

17 hours ago, Deputy Keeper said:

Only ground at which I was ever assaulted was leaving old Bayview after a 2v1 defeat in 1972.  Crowd of around 4,000 there for an ordinary league match!

I recall a local (human, not pub) acting like a whirling dervish outside there post-match, basically spinning around trying to punch anyone within reach, even four or five of his mates who were trying to calm him down.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Spencer could barely string 2 starts together so it's impossible to say he looked no better than Hutton, who has been consistently shite since he arrived. Players need a good run of games and Spencer never got that. Hutton had a couple of decent games after Duffy arrived before quickly reverting back to his old self.

Based on the balance of our squad Spencer looked to be a more useful option than Hutton, he just never got the chance. Our midfield was crying out for a player with energy who was hard in the tackle, especially when deployed alongside Forbes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spencer do well at Forfar. He always looked handy coming off the bench IMO.

It's all about opinions but I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer continues being an option from the bench at Forfar.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I was thinking the same. Our support aren't in a good place with the club, folk have even been going tonto at the former players birthday messages on Twitter :lol:

Add that to the fact everyone's skint, miserable weather and poor form, and it looks like the perfect cocktail for a rubbish home support. In a game where we really need a decent crowd too.

We normally do our business on a Tuesday and Thursday so, as you say, here's hoping that we get a decent wedge of signing news tonight. Something really has to happen to lift the doom around the place at the moment.

Ach! no need to worry. The young uns and the drum will be there to provide an atmosphere, unless anyone else knows different in which case I might go.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

As if it wasn't enough that they relegated us :bairn

12 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Ach! no need to worry. The young uns and the drum will be there to provide an atmosphere, unless anyone else knows different in which case I might go.

Have you stopped going to games, Wilf?

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

As if it wasn't enough that they relegated us :bairnHave you stopped going to games, Wilf?

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
30 minutes ago, Howlin said:

Shouldn't we be encouraging these young fans to attend and enjoy themselves?

Been through the discussion before both here and on Facebook. I have to conclude I'm out of step and in a small minority who simply can't abide the noise.

There's really no point in further debate.

The boys, (and the drum) win.

I've got tons else to do on a Saturday in a drum free environment so I'm fine with it.