Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, microdave said:

I signed up to (probably) more than ten clubs during the two seasons that we could stream matches and it was seamless and quick. A qr code on my phone is great as I don't have to check multiple times on a matchday that I've definitely got my ticket.

*Pats pocket every 5 minutes to check that phone's there*

I can tell you, for an absolute fact, that I know reporters who have tried for years to get an interview with him with no luck.

Unless he means he couldn't find a reporter willing to do a story in which he had a go at his victim. In which case, he'd be spot on.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

There's an element of hypocrisy in his treatment when Raith decided they wanted to sign him. He played for years prior to that. NLC essentially banning him from Broadwood was nothing more than bandwagon jumping - they weren't overly concerned when he was still a Clyde player.

Thats not a defence of him. Although not criminally convicted, the civil case clearly shows that he's a wrong one. It's possible to be against Goodwillie and against the way that it suddenly became an issue only when he moved to Raith and a friend of the then first minister became involved. Surely there should have been questions asked long before that?

Our players would do well not to get involved.  I'd much rather Wallace wasn't flagging up what will eventually become rants by Goodwillie.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I use e-tickets on the train and going to racing, so I don't see it being any big deal at all really. Aside from for older folk who aren't all that good with technology, but it sounds like they are being accommodated. As BBPF says, buying tickets at short notice is usually pretty quick too. I've bought tickets for games on my way in, and usually buy my train tickets from the platform.

I think the only thing I really pay cash for these days is a haircut. I'd be amazed if any clubs at a semi-decent level still have cash gates in about a decade. 

I will miss physical tickets for big matches mind you. I've got a saved PDF of an e-ticket I had for AC Milan against Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League last year, but I'd have loved a proper, old-school ticket from that. Just to keep in a box somewhere.

As one of these 'older folk' who is is fairly comfortable with technology I'm a bit disappointed at your lazy stereotype there Jan. It may come as a surprise but it was my generation who delivered much of this technical advancement, but given some time I'm sure it will all bed in just fine for all concerned. 

And another thing. Make the most of televised quiz shows as they won't exist in a generation. 'Younger folk' in the main know hee-haw about anything, with a study showing that less than 11% of under 25s fail to pass first base on The Chase due to a lack of questions on vaping and the Kardashians. Just saying.

Now, I must get back to my book on the Italian Risorgimento of the mid nineteenth century.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As one of these 'older folk' who is is fairly comfortable with technology I'm a bit disappointed at your lazy stereotype there Jan. It may come as a surprise but it was my generation who delivered much of this technical advancement, but given some time I'm sure it will all bed in just fine for all concerned. 

And another thing. Make the most of televised quiz shows as they won't exist in a generation. 'Younger folk' in the main know hee-haw about anything, with a study showing that less than 11% of under 25s fail to pass first base on The Chase due to a lack of questions on vaping and the Kardashians. Just saying.

Now, I must get back to my book on the Italian Risorgimento of the mid nineteenth century.

It shouldn't have come across as a lazy stereotype. It was meant as 'older folk who aren't all that good with technology' as a single entity. Not 'older folk, who aren't that good with technology' as a sweeping statement. The people who kick off about this will be of an age where they don't use their phone to pay for everything already. I don't imagine you'll have many Young Sons queuing for a QR code printout, nor many who even bat an eyelid at tickets being bought on their phone. The only people I know who don't have a smartphone are all over 70.

I'd say, as a general rule, you get half-wits of all ages. With age comes wisdom and all that. But for many people that's just learning how to cover up the fact they aren't all that bright. I almost fell into an existential discussion about what it means to be intelligent; but I'll save that for another thread. It feels like the sort of thing I'd have made presentations on at Uni :lol:

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I use e-tickets on the train and going to racing, so I don't see it being any big deal at all really. Aside from for older folk who aren't all that good with technology, but it sounds like they are being accommodated. As BBPF says, buying tickets at short notice is usually pretty quick too. I've bought tickets for games on my way in, and usually buy my train tickets from the platform.

I think the only thing I really pay cash for these days is a haircut. I'd be amazed if any clubs at a semi-decent level still have cash gates in about a decade. 

I will miss physical tickets for big matches mind you. I've got a saved PDF of an e-ticket I had for AC Milan against Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League last year, but I'd have loved a proper, old-school ticket from that. Just to keep in a box somewhere.

Yeah keeping them in a box is what I’ll miss. I’ve got every season ticket since 1970 so it’s a bit disappointing to see that come to an end. I suppose it’s ‘progress’

21 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

So where to people see us finishing this year? I know it’s really early to tell but play offs very minimum but with the squad we have top 2 again I reckon just hopefully 1st this year

30 points clear by Christmas. Awarded the title by March.

19 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

So where to people see us finishing this year? I know it’s really early to tell but play offs very minimum but with the squad we have top 2 again I reckon just hopefully 1st this year

We've built a very solid squad. No obvious stars at this level. The 2 big issues last year were a lack of creativity and a lack of goals. We were very one dimensional going forward and we didnt have a reliable goal scorer. Hopefully Ruth improves us up front and we can find a way to get more of a threat from midfield. Not sure that'll be enough to finish top, but if we can keep guys fit and Farrell works on a plan B in case we need to change things then another play-off bid should be realistic.

I might be being slightly optimistic here (not @optimistic, he's someone else), but I'd like to think we may play 2 up top this season, or at least Wallace in behind Ruth to get the best out of Wallace, with a middle 4 behind them. Hopefully anyway. It'd be nice to think the coaching staff have seen the limitations of a defensive based 4-1-4-1 and will try to be more adventurous going forward this season. I suppose we'll see.

The squad on paper looks well balanced and with good cover and a few smatterings of quality to hopefully elevate our play above the turgid levels we saw in particularly the 2nd half of last term.

If his plan is just to re-run last season's system and hope for a better placing then it'd be obvious fairly quickly, so hopefully he's seen the need to attack opponents more.