Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Do we have a friendly organised for tomorrow or are we just having a training session and praying no one else picks up a knock before the real stuff starts?

Just training I believe. We had looked at a friendly, but with the WOS League kicking off tomorrow, there weren't many clubs looking for a game. And I guess the injury situation has kind of pushed that too.

Faz seemed pretty upbeat the other night about the injury situation. All being well (and assuming they come through training) we'll only be without Blair Malcolm (suspended, but should be back training next week), Ryan Wallace (honeymoon), Callum Wilson and Declan Byrne for the opening day.

56 minutes ago, microdave said:

Screenshot_20230728_175119_Twitter.jpg

Had a wee look through the list of current shareholders on the statement submitted.

Genuine question - can dead people still hold shares as there’s at least a few on that list.

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons

3 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Had a wee look through the list of current shareholders on the statement submitted.

Genuine question - can dead people still hold shares as there’s at least a few on that list.

Any shares that a person holds become part of their estate after they die.

I would imagine that the share register is difficult for smaller clubs.  I don't expect many families of deceased people will be prioritising informing the clubs, especially for a nominal amount of shares, and I also wonder how often the clubs' Company Secretaries conduct a trawl to try to keep things in order.  It doesn't help that Dumbarton currently doesn't have a Company Secretary 🤦.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I would imagine that the share register is difficult for smaller clubs.  I don't expect many families of deceased people will be prioritising informing the clubs, especially for a nominal amount of shares, and I also wonder how often the clubs' Company Secretaries conduct a trawl to try to keep things in order.  It doesn't help that Dumbarton currently doesn't have a Company Secretary 🤦.

It's not legally necessary to have a company secretary. That changed years ago.

52 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

It's not legally necessary to have a company secretary. That changed years ago.

Fair enough, but having looked at that list it's a long time since it was updated - there are a huge number of people no longer with us.  It probably doesn't matter though as most had very small shareholdings.

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Fair enough, but having looked at that list it's a long time since it was updated - there are a huge number of people no longer with us.  It probably doesn't matter though as most had very small shareholdings.

The 2 names that stood out for me were G Lawrie and D Dalgleish. I mean ffs if we can’t update those what hope do we have.

59 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

The 2 names that stood out for me were G Lawrie and D Dalgleish. I mean ffs if we can’t update those what hope do we have.

As above, the shares in that name remain valid, despite their passing. Also, a company secretary wouldn't be tasked with finding out whether shareholders are alive or not, company secretary was/is just a limited company registration status. Not a literal secretary. Nominal shares/shareholders aren't going to affect Dumbarton FC's future.

My point herein isn't to detract from the worrisome future of DFC. I simply want to clarify so that people don't chase the wrong thread due to ignorance.

*let's not confuse a football club secretary (in charge of the intricate paperwork of running a playing team) with a company secretary (redundant and unnecessary title in law).

Edited by Sweet Pete

There are 1981375 B shares in the club. Cognitive capital own 75.65% of those. There are 10 shareholders that have 10k or more shares which totals 21.49%. The Trust are one of those with 2.95% with the others mostly made up of former directors from the past 30 years or so. 

That was my Saturday morning. 

I see we’ve stuck the prices up to £17 for this coming season which is too high for this level IMHO. East Fife got a lot of stick for charging £18 last season so I suspect we may rightly be in for a bit of stick ourselves. I’ll wait until I see what other clubs are charging before I criticse too much but as it stands I’d expect that to be comfortably more than everyone else bar East Fife. 

This season's prices are

Bonnyrigg £14/9/5

Clyde £17/14/5

East Fife £18/14/5

Elgin £14/8/-

Forfar £14/8/5

Peterhead £15/8/0

Stenhousemuir £15/10/5

Stranraer £15/10/5

The Spartans £15/10/5.