Sons' sorrow

I'm not sure if it's to do with our sports science, our recruitment approach or just a coincidence. But Saturday was the third  time in a few weeks (Clyde and BoD being the others) where we have looked physically far superior to our opponents.

We have some absolute monsters in the squad who look to be in superb shape. Big Sean Crighton has the most muscular chest I've ever seen and Mark Durnan is a huge presence. Matty Shiels and Tony Wallace are very imposing looking guys, Blair Malcolm looks absolutely solid - and even further forward Michael Ruth is very, very physical. Carlo Pignatiello might not be the biggest either, but his upper body strength and balance when he's running with the ball at his feet mean that he's holding players off like they are kids. That's before you get to the amount of ground guys like Finlay and Ruth are covering judging by their data.

It was just one of those things that popped into my mind. I can't remember seeing us have a team with so many guys over 6 foot. Let alone over six foot and built like brick walls. Fair play to the sports scientist if that's his doing. We look a very well conditioned team.

25 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm not sure if it's to do with our sports science, our recruitment approach or just a coincidence. But Saturday was the third  time in a few weeks (Clyde and BoD being the others) where we have looked physically far superior to our opponents.

We have some absolute monsters in the squad who look to be in superb shape. Big Sean Crighton has the most muscular chest I've ever seen and Mark Durnan is a huge presence. Matty Shiels and Tony Wallace are very imposing looking guys, Blair Malcolm looks absolutely solid - and even further forward Michael Ruth is very, very physical. Carlo Pignatiello might not be the biggest either, but his upper body strength and balance when he's running with the ball at his feet mean that he's holding players off like they are kids. That's before you get to the amount of ground guys like Finlay and Ruth are covering judging by their data.

It was just one of those things that popped into my mind. I can't remember seeing us have a team with so many guys over 6 foot. Let alone over six foot and built like brick walls. Fair play to the sports scientist if that's his doing. We look a very well conditioned team.

Didn't someone (maybe OKI?) say Luca Vata has bulked up massively, too?

4 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Didn't someone (maybe OKI?) say Luca Vata has bulked up massively, too?

Yes, it was me.  And just to back up what Jan said I may already have mentioned that a local sitting behind me at Methil said that it looked like an U-21 team playing a league side.  We certainly have a welcome physical presence about us just now.

Was chatting to Tony Wallace for next week's paper and he said he's aiming to reach double figures before Christmas. Got me thinking who the last Sons player was to achieve that. So I looked it up.

I think it's Stephen Dobbie, who bagged 11 before leaving in 2006. If anyone can find anyone else (I tried Bryan Prunty, Ross Clark, Jim Lister and others) before then, then please shout before I put it in print!

Fitness is massive I think.. last season was the fittest I'd seen us looking in years. I noticed even the warm up stuff was really high tenpo

You looked like quite a big team last year compared to us but I thought our fitness was better.

We took a lot of late points and played quite relentlessly and it definitely took it out of teams.

East Fife looked small last season too but boy were they faster than us. ....

Decent start again for you lot so far. Let's hope the weather doesn't destroy your pitch and hopes again this season.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Fitness is massive I think.. last season was the fittest I'd seen us looking in years. I noticed even the warm up stuff was really high tenpo

You looked like quite a big team last year compared to us but I thought our fitness was better. It certainly doesn't hurt.

We took a lot of late points and played quite relentlessly and it definitely took it out of teams.

Decent start again for you lot so far. Let's hope the weather doesn't destroy your pitch and hopes again this season.

1 hour ago, WattersIsGod said:

You looked like quite a big team last year compared to us but I thought our fitness was better.

You looked like quite a big team last year compared to us but I thought our fitness was better. It certainly doesn't hurt.

You can say that again.

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Did Lister only really score 12 goals for us? It felt like he was scoring a brace every week towards the end of that season.

He got 15 in all competitions. Or 18 if you include his hat-trick against Stirling Albion in the Stirlingshire Cup.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Did Lister only really score 12 goals for us? It felt like he was scoring a brace every week towards the end of that season.

That hat-trick against Raith as well was a thing of pure beauty. Think it was the second where he took a punch in the face while heading it in?

13 minutes ago, microdave said:

That's us down to third after Stenny's win tonight but still just two points off the top. 

Yeah, keeps both in touch. I don't think I'd have preferred for Peterhead to have a gap opening up so soon, whereas 2 points can be turned around in 1 match day, if results go the right way!

14 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Yeah, keeps both in touch. I don't think I'd have preferred for Peterhead to have a gap opening up so soon, whereas 2 points can be turned around in 1 match day, if results go the right way!

Peterhead away then Stenny at home to start December could be very interesting as well

8 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Peterhead away then Stenny at home to start December could be very interesting as well

For sure, last year we didn't really show up vs the eventual league winners and it really threw any chance of momentum out the window. Big games where we need to perform if you want to win titles.

5 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

I was looking at that Peterhead game, thinking I might come up, given the importance of it, but probably too much risk of a call off. Think it makes more sense to put that travel cost into Young’s surgery fund.