Sons' sorrow

It's admirable for Stevie Farrell to put his faith in Harry Broun and press ahead with strengthening the team's wide areas, but all it takes is another mistake, another dropped cross in the coming weeks for him to change his mind. Between now and the end of next month, Dumbarton will have signed another goalkeeper.

Book it!

29 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It's admirable for Stevie Farrell to put his faith in Harry Broun and press ahead with strengthening the team's wide areas, but all it takes is another mistake, another dropped cross in the coming weeks for him to change his mind. Between now and the end of next month, Dumbarton will have signed another goalkeeper.

Book it!

I'm also pretty concerned that if he picks up an injury, we will be absolutely up shit creek 🙄 On reflection, that sounds very "Dumbarton under Farrell".

I wonder what Ryan Stevenson is up to these days 😂

ETA: unless we plan on having Paddy O'Neil hanging about for the rest of the season... 

Edited by squeezebox-son

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This is what I'm expecting. Retired or unattached keepers being listed as trialists until the end of the season.

Had a look on PFA Scotland just to see if there was anyone on the available list there,it doesn't tend to be the best but figured it might be worth a look. 

Screenshot_20231224-175813.thumb.jpg.7bfd6cc4d7d11631b3082ee68219e795.jpg

It was not worth a look

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Book it!

Stevie will seek to rely on Brett Long's injury as one of his key reasons in mitigation as to why we'll be fumbling about in League 2 again next season. Signing a replacement isn't helpful to him, in that regard.

No, better that we pointlessly sign another wide player. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

This is what I'm expecting. Retired or unattached keepers being listed as trialists until the end of the season.

Surely there's a maximum number of trialists a club can use in any season. It's max 3 games for any one player iirc, so that's quite a few different keepers from now until we fail in the first round of the playoffs.

22 hours ago, Silverton End said:

No chance we are winning this League, unless Stenny collapse like we did last season.

I posted this already, but we've clearly regressed this season, we're in a worse position than this time last year, we play some really good football at times but fall short repeatedly.

2 goals up with 5 minutes to go today & some of our players thought it was game over, but we were up against a side at the bottom, fighting hard to prove themselves & with a new, thoroughly experienced Manager in the dugout.

Very frustrating 

There is genuinely no chance we’ve regressed from last season. It would have looked an awful lot worse if we hadn’t had that massive winning streak right at the start of the season, where many of the win were fortunate. This season is far from perfect I accept but football is about entertainment right (and obviously winning)? Don’t you think we’ve Been exciting to watch and played some good attacking football? 

All the talk of the title being gone is premature. Stenny clearly need to drop off but it’s possible and wouldn’t require a miracle to happen - especially given our squad is more than capable of winning most games.

Yesterday was an absolute disaster. It was a very reminiscent feeling from the Ayr UTD game years ago. At 4-2 my only concern was where we could get a 5th - so definitely an absolute bottle job. This one will sting for a while but there’s nothing we can do about it now and 3 points next week would begin to repair the damage.

Shout out to those who wanted Lynas starting over Pignateillo earlier in the season, because of his ‘more direct passing’. Absolutely lol - they’re miles apart and had Pignateillo played yesterday we would have torn them to shreds down the right, in the second half. Lynas repeatedly showed no ability to progress forward with the ball and the decision making of some passes was incredibly poor. Obviously he’s a very committed and hardworking player but I think he often plays without much thought process. It was pretty solid in last seasons park the bus and hit nd hope era but this season when we’re trying to retain possession, he stands out like sore thumb.

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

Had a look on PFA Scotland just to see if there was anyone on the available list there,it doesn't tend to be the best but figured it might be worth a look. 

Screenshot_20231224-175813.thumb.jpg.7bfd6cc4d7d11631b3082ee68219e795.jpg

It was not worth a look

Literally the guy filling our bench at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Surely there's a maximum number of trialists a club can use in any season. It's max 3 games for any one player iirc, so that's quite a few different keepers from now until we fail in the first round of the playoffs.

I don't know if there is but if he's saying he has no money for a keeper then I don't know what else you do. I'm hoping he is perhaps just managing expectations that we shouldn't expect another top goalkeeper to come in but "the budgets gone for keepers" is a fairly shut case for me. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Literally the guy filling our bench at the moment.

I'm well aware, the outfield list isn't much better either. Robert Jones is still on despite signing for Elgin. 

I just hope between now and the window someone in the divisions above falls out with the manager or something and we can pick up a loan that way as otherwise it'll end up another young keeper in all likelihood? 

I didn't listen to Farrells thing but a winger was not immediately what I thought we were missing. Goalkeeper would've been the first priority and then go from there.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I've just heard him say the budget is gone for goalkeepers and he'd like to add a centre back and wide player but that's probably dependent on how much profit we make from the Rangers game and/or if he can move folk on. A rather worrying listen if I'm honest, despite Stevie's talent of putting a positive spin on things. 

How can the budget be gone for a goalkeeper but available for a wide player or centre back?  Is it divided into different areas of the park?

3 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

There is genuinely no chance we’ve regressed from last season. 

I stopped right there, no offence Cameron but at this time last year we were in a commanding position, top of the League.

This season we are playing catch-up big time.

12 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I stopped right there, no offence Cameron but at this time last year we were in a commanding position, top of the League.

This season we are playing catch-up big time.

Yep, I can't see how we haven't. We have less points simple. Instead of being 4 (I think) points ahead of everyone else, we sit 3rd and 10 (TEN) points off top. Yes, we appear to be playing some nicer football but that doesn't win you games or leagues. Scoring goals and not conceding them win you matches and winning enough matches will win you leagues.

I agree we are much better to watch this season, but it's a results driven business and we haven't picked up enough points this season.

12 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

All the talk of the title being gone is premature. Stenny clearly need to drop off but it’s possible and wouldn’t require a miracle to happen - especially given our squad is more than capable of winning most games.

Firstly, a happy and peaceful Christmas to all - have a great day.

Now, this paragraph above, 10/10 for optimism but I can't see it happening.  Stenny look to be getting stronger every week whilst Peterhead and ourselves are sometimes misfiring to a debilitating effect, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Spartans come up on the inside rail.

And Stenny are not ourselves of last season - that's wishful thinking so let's just see where things pan out from here on in.  But if we don't exit League Two this season then the Board will have a very big decision to make.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

But if we don't exit League Two this season then the Board will have a very big decision to make.

I don’t think it’ll be a big decision for them, sadly. He’ll have another year on his contact, at least. If he doesn’t get a new contract before then…

On that cheery note, Merry Christmas, all!*

*while writing this, I was asked by my mother if I was “messaging a girl” (I’m 31). I didn’t have the heart to explain what I was really doing…

Edited by FifeSons