Sons' sorrow

17 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I imagine the person or persons with control of the club's finances.

Well we had Wyldes wage apparently sitting there ready to be used and that was before we got ourselves a televised cup tie. Maybe the suggested keeper was too expensive at the time we were offered him but the manager has confirmed himself we want to add to the squad this month, so there is money there. If we sign Paddy O'Neill it's the managers choice.

3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Let's not start a baseless conspiracy theory.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That's assuming if BBPF's post is accurate that Faz was the one making the decisions.

As my post began, "If that is true"...

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know there's been a bit of interest in how Callum Wilson is doing, so I asked him: Clicky

I'm getting no comfort from that article that we'll see Callum in action anytime soon. Signing him was always a gamble but unfortunately it's looking an increasingly unwise one when stacked against the other unfortunate long-term injuries we've accrued this season.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

I'm getting no comfort from that article that we'll see Callum in action anytime soon. Signing him was always a gamble but unfortunately it's looking an increasingly unwise one when stacked against the other unfortunate long-term injuries we've accrued this season.

Add Byrne alongside C Wilson, that's 2 crocks Farrell signed, we can ill afford to take chances signing players carrying injuries/fitness concerns.

I'm also not sure how you fit him into this team. Malcolm or Gray unlikely to be dropped, he's not displacing anyone wide and Jinky Hilton has the back up number 10 slot in the bag. He's basically just waiting on someone getting crippled or suspended and looking to take his chance, which might jot be often if he's not back playing until Feb/March.

I said in the summer we had signed too many central midfield options and it's proving to be a silly decision given the other areas of the squad which are crying out for some budget. We absolutely wouldn't have missed Wilson in the middle but could easily have done with someone like Darren Whyte (as an example straight off the top of my head) covering at the back instead. 

22 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/scottish-cup-ticketing-information/

Not sure I've seen a single person on here say they're actually going. Better get my Palestine flag dry-cleaned.

I'm definitely not.

Will put the money towards Hoffenheim v Heidenheim the following Saturday.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/scottish-cup-ticketing-information/

Not sure I've seen a single person on here say they're actually going. Better get my Palestine flag dry-cleaned.

Well let me be the first.  After some serious thought I went down this morning and bought my ticket.

I've supported my team for over 60 years from Lossiemouth to Oswestry and many points in between, and in all that time I've never let the opposition influence my attendance and I'm not going to this time either. 

However, based on past experience I can't say I'm wildly looking forward to this tie, but I'd rather give my money to DFC than Viaplay, or sit at home furiously refreshing my phone because that's exactly what I'd be doing.

Sure we'll have the usual chants and flags and the patronising attitude of local bluenoses, most of whom never normally visit The Rock, but I can easily deal with that whilst the club takes their cash.

Just my opinion, but really it is just another game and the sun will still rise in the morning.  I do though thoroughly respect those who don't wish to attend but I also hope that our team will still have a decent support to back them. They deserve no less.

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well let me be the first.  After some serious thought I went down this morning and bought my ticket.

I've supported my team for over 60 years from Lossiemouth to Oswestry and many points in between, and in all that time I've never let the opposition influence my attendance and I'm not going to this time either. 

However, based on past experience I can't say I'm wildly looking forward to this tie, but I'd rather give my money to DFC than Viaplay, or sit at home furiously refreshing my phone because that's exactly what I'd be doing.

Sure we'll have the usual chants and flags and the patronising attitude of local bluenoses, most of whom never normally visit The Rock, but I can easily deal with that whilst the club takes their cash.

Just my opinion, but really it is just another game and the sun will still rise in the morning.  I do though thoroughly respect those who don't wish to attend but I also hope that our team will still have a decent support to back them. They deserve no less.

I'm the exact same, although I'll get my tickets tomorrow.

I'd add as well. There's a 0.01 percent chance of us creating one of the greatest Scottish Cup shocks of all time. It's about as likely as winning the Euromillions. But it's still a chance. It's just 11 men against 11 men at the end of the day.

I didn't go to Oswestry because I didn't think it would be worth it. And I regret it to this day. If I missed us somehow managing to beat Rangers in a competitive game I'd be kicking myself for the rest of my life.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm the exact same, although I'll get my tickets tomorrow.

I'd add as well. There's a 0.01 percent chance of us creating one of the greatest Scottish Cup shocks of all time. It's about as likely as winning the Euromillions. But it's still a chance. It's just 11 men against 11 men at the end of the day.

I didn't go to Oswestry because I didn't think it would be worth it. And I regret it to this day. If I missed us somehow managing to beat Rangers in a competitive game I'd be kicking myself for the rest of my life.

It's the hope that keeps us all going to games. Personally I just don't get the attitude of fans who say they won't go. You're going to support your team, surely they need it all the more when we could be outnumbered at a home game.

32 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That was my thinking, too.

Call me crazy, but I genuinely reckon we can give Sevco a game. Clement will probably rest a few, thinking it’s an easy win and with them having Europe and re-arranged league fixtures. Plus, it’ll be their first game back after the winter break, so there may be some ring rust. We’ve competed well against decent Aberdeen and Killie* sides, and I can see us doing it again.

*That said, we did have Brett Long then and if ever there was a game we needed him, it’s this.

Edited by FifeSons

I’m not a fan of this move in the slightest. After Long’s injury our number 1 priority should have been signing a new goalkeeper IMO. I don’t think it can be understated how important a good goalie is to a team. It seems bonkers to me to be flinging wages at wingers in our current situation with a looming cup tie that is earning us a decent wedge. 

Hopefully with games comes confidence for young Broun. Whilst it wouldn’t have been the route I went with, I wish the lad all the best with the opportunity that has presented itself to him.