Sons' sorrow

5 minutes ago, Sawkye said:

Does anyone know why there were no ball persons(boy/girl) at yesterday's game? Theses kids have turned out in all weather's to help. And who decided they weren't needed.

Ceremonially sacrificed to greet the arrival of A.Hosie.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How does that wee gimp get a ticket for this sort of game? Virgin youtubers should not be handed out comps.

Sam's a good egg to be fair. His video where he goes to The Rock, Millburn and Tontine is a very decent watch, he knows his stuff and - above all else - genuinely cares about his lower league football. 

He's got a big following too, so it's positive publicity for the club with the kids who are glued to YouTube.

12 minutes ago, Sawkye said:

Does anyone know why there were no ball persons(boy/girl) at yesterday's game? Theses kids have turned out in all weather's to help. And who decided they weren't needed.

There was; but it was our youth team players rather than the wee kids.

I believe it was a health and safety decision on the basis of the additional equipment, crowd and the fact the wee primary school kids have a habit of getting knocked off stools, falling over and not really paying all that much attention to the game. Which is fine when it's Clyde or Elgin, but not so fine when they potentially have 800 Rangers fans shouting at them, or hurt themselves tripping over cables for the LED ad hoardings.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How does that wee gimp get a ticket for this sort of game? Virgin youtubers should not be handed out comps.

Ah, I’m not a huge fan, but he seems harmless enough and quite fond of the sons. I’d rather someone actually promoting the club got a comp, than say Hosie’s cronies.

Thanks Jan, makes sense. Must admit to having a laugh watching the youngsters waving and joking with pals and parents not realising the ball is out of play. Know one youngster who helped out once and said never again due to some adults shouting abuse because there not quick enough getting ball back to players. And as you pointed out yesterday game was high intensity. 

10 minutes ago, Sawkye said:

Thanks Jan, makes sense. Must admit to having a laugh watching the youngsters waving and joking with pals and parents not realising the ball is out of play. Know one youngster who helped out once and said never again due to some adults shouting abuse because there not quick enough getting ball back to players. And as you pointed out yesterday game was high intensity. 

Yeah I feel for the kids who would've been looking forward to it and missed out. But I also know there would've been a few who maybe would've been spooked by the occasion. Not sure I'd fancy being a ball boy in front of the away end at 26, let alone 6 or 7!

19 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Sam's a good egg to be fair. His video where he goes to The Rock, Millburn and Tontine is a very decent watch, he knows his stuff and - above all else - genuinely cares about his lower league football. 

He's got a big following too, so it's positive publicity for the club with the kids who are glued to YouTube.

I believe it was a health and safety decision on the basis of the additional equipment, crowd and the fact the wee primary school kids have a habit of getting knocked off stools, falling over and not really paying all that much attention to the game. Which is fine when it's Clyde or Elgin, but not so fine when they potentially have 800 Rangers fans shouting at them, or hurt themselves tripping over cables for the LED ad hoardings.

Meh, it's not for me. His content makes him a living, he can pay for a ticket. He's got 187k followers, the SPFL has 300k, so just over half the audience our usual weekly highlights reach. 

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

Yeah I feel for the kids who would've been looking forward to it and missed out. But I also know there would've been a few who maybe would've been spooked by the occasion. Not sure I'd fancy being a ball boy in front of the away end at 26, let alone 6 or 7!

I think the club got this spot-on, and there is an obvious duty of care to the children involved, disappointing as it may have been for some of them.  One distressed kid is one too many.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Meh, it's not for me. His content makes him a living, he can pay for a ticket. He's got 187k followers, the SPFL has 300k, so just over half the audience our usual weekly highlights reach. 

The last SPFL roundup video has 11k views. Sam's from last night has 33k already. Granted that's because it has Rangers in it, but that's a big reach. And a totally different demographic.

I have a ST and bought a ticket for last night because I wanted to sit with my family. But I get in to away games for free because it's part of my job, same with all press. And our reach - be that at the Lennox, P&J next week, Falkirk Herald at Stenny in a fortnight or whoever - will be far lower than Sam manages. If DFC charged him for entry then he simply would go somewhere else and we wouldn't get the publicity.

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The last SPFL roundup video has 11k views. Sam's from last night has 33k already. Granted that's because it has Rangers in it, but that's a big reach. And a totally different demographic.

I have a ST and bought a ticket for last night because I wanted to sit with my family. But I get in to away games for free because it's part of my job, same with all press. And our reach - be that at the Lennox, P&J next week, Falkirk Herald at Stenny in a fortnight or whoever - will be far lower than Sam manages. If DFC charged him for entry then he simply would go somewhere else and we wouldn't get the publicity.

Working for a paper with editorial and legal standards and writing in depth match reports and interviews is different to filming a bunch of wee guys setting of flares for a monetised Youtube channel. I'm probably coming across more annoyed than I am here so I'll leave it there.

59 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Yeah, I agree his video about local Clubs "football in the valley" is very good.

Same with the one he sat with the Young Sons at a game, those kids knew who he was & loved every minute.

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Working for a paper with editorial and legal standards and writing in depth match reports and interviews is different to filming a bunch of wee guys setting of flares for a monetised Youtube channel. I'm probably coming across more annoyed than I am here so I'll leave it there.

It does. But in 25 years only one of those things will likely still be happening - as much as it pains me to say it. Sam was speaking to players and staff at the end too, it's not all the fan culture stuff at all. 

I totally get if it's not your cup of tea. But I reckon it's the sort of thing that more media outlets are going to start doing themselves as they realise they can't keep putting up the prices of print products to subsidise websites that aren't making enough money. Although that's a topic I won't wind myself up by talking about :lol:

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It’s an extremely sensible decision from the club. I fail to see how that is in any way, shape or form “a poor excuse”. The fact we had fireworks fired onto the park before kick off simply backs up DFC’s decision. 

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Bump. Any time yer ready, pal, the question list has grown somewhat...

Quite ironic that the core of his message back in August was for better communication, and since then he’s fallen into an Andy Hosie sized black hole.