Sons' sorrow

While I'm in a mood, I'm going to say something that's been bugging me. I think it's disgraceful that the club don't have insurance against players being injured. My employer has insurance against any injuries that occur in the workplace and I also have personal accident insurance through them which costs me 0.06% of my gross salary which is peanuts but it would cover the price of an operation if I chose to go private in order to return to work. Instead we're having to crowdfund to pay for Greig Young's knee op. If I were a footballer, I would happily take a small pay cut knowing that I wouldn't have to wait long to have surgery if I happened to get a bad injury. It took two months until Young had the op which could've taken place much sooner had the club not had to get the begging bowl out.

25 minutes ago, microdave said:

While I'm in a mood, I'm going to say something that's been bugging me. I think it's disgraceful that the club don't have insurance against players being injured. My employer has insurance against any injuries that occur in the workplace and I also have personal accident insurance through them which costs me 0.06% of my gross salary which is peanuts but it would cover the price of an operation if I chose to go private in order to return to work. Instead we're having to crowdfund to pay for Greig Young's knee op. If I were a footballer, I would happily take a small pay cut knowing that I wouldn't have to wait long to have surgery if I happened to get a bad injury. It took two months until Young had the op which could've taken place much sooner had the club not had to get the begging bowl out.

I think this is something Craig Barr campaigned for through the PFA. I've criticised other clubs who have the begging bowl out for this stuff and I don't think it's a good look for us either. 

One thing I will say is that it probably costs a lot more for insuring a team of footballers than it does a team of office workers, but I do agree that really bad injuries are so common in football that it's wild that there is virtually nothing covering players.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I think this is something Craig Barr campaigned for through the PFA. I've criticised other clubs who have the begging bowl out for this stuff and I don't think it's a good look for us either. 

One thing I will say is that it probably costs a lot more for insuring a team of footballers than it does a team of office workers, but I do agree that really bad injuries are so common in football that it's wild that there is virtually nothing covering players.

I wonder what the insurance premium would be on 'the skipper'.  If this announcement wasn't on the OS I'd have thought it a complete wind-up.  WTAF is the Board playing at ?

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I work in insurance and there's no probably about it. Footballers typically tend to be in the highest risk categories even just for life insurance, nevermind injuries etc. 

26 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

I work in insurance and there's no probably about it. Footballers typically tend to be in the highest risk categories even just for life insurance, nevermind injuries etc. 

I’d imagine Dumbarton supporters are also in the highest risk category because these c***s are about to give me a fucking aneurysm.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’d imagine Dumbarton supporters are also in the highest risk category because these c***s are about to give me a fucking aneurysm.

"We will not pay a claim if your illness is directly or indirectly linked to acts of Stevie Farrell" 

John Gemmell said something similar last year, but I got the impression that insurance would come off the players pay and it was up to them if they wanted it or not.

I do think there's a responsibility on the club to provide insurance, but these decisions about wages/premiums are on the player and club.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Greig Youngs deal extended too.

Again, a good player for this level, but why on earth are we offering this guy a deal whilst he lies on the treatment table with a potentially career threatening injury? 

The main concern for me, aside from offering contracts to all the injured players, is our brain dead board are clearly backing Farrell well beyond the end of this season, regardless of the outcome. 

Unreal. Next up we will re-sign Rory Loy on a 5 year deal.

If we had offered a deal Greig's way and that was it, then fair enough. I don't imagine he'll be on huge money and given the situation he probably deserves that chance to prove himself. But following on from yesterday, it just looks like we're giving deals out without any thought whatsoever. He is clueless.

Edited by squeezebox-son

I understand standing by Young, he's a young player with potential and if he realises that could earn us some money. However, it's a gamble given the injury he has picked up this year. 

Like others I'm more frustrated that Farrell seems to have full backing of the club board. 

One one hand there's an argument that sticking  by injured players is the right thing to do. Their injury issues will be impacting their non-football jobs as well. Agreeing another contract gives them a bit of certainty about their footballing future and the chance to plan for another season.

But being the nice guy and doing the right thing can bite you on the arse. We could be extending the contract of guys who will either never play for us again, or who will have been massively compromised by their injury.

Its not a risk I think we should be taking. Stick with them for as long as we have them and do the right thing whilst they're injured, but I don't think we should be taking massive gambles by offering extensions when we don't know how the players will be when they recover.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I understand standing by Young, he's a young player with potential and if he realises that could earn us some money. However, it's a gamble given the injury he has picked up this year. 

Like others I'm more frustrated that Farrell seems to have full backing of the club board. 

I  don't think backing is the right word.

I think he has free reign to do whatever he wants because the chairman doesnt have the knowledge or the bottle to say no. It's not that they're backing him - I don't think the club is capable of pushing back on him.

15 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I  don't think backing is the right word.

I think he has free reign to do whatever he wants because the chairman doesnt have the knowledge or the bottle to say no. It's not that they're backing him - I don't think the club is capable of pushing back on him.

Whether it is full backing or blissful ignorance, either way I don't envisage Farrell having his contract terminated.

13 hours ago, microdave said:

I should be flabbergasted but I'm not. I've come to expect the unexpected now. 

This.

It’s like they think “what’s the most insane thing we could do? Aye, that, let’s do that”.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Whether it is full backing or blissful ignorance, either way I don't envisage Farrell having his contract terminated.

I think it’s a safe assumption that Farrell will never be sacked. The best case is his contract just runs out, but I’m now seriously worrying he’ll be next for an extension.