Sons' sorrow

36 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He certainly threatened the club with court action in order to kill us if he didn't get a director loan repaid to him when he left our board.

Think we might be seeing the reason why there was no heartfelt tribute on the website...

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He certainly threatened the club with court action in order to kill us if he didn't get a director loan repaid to him when he left our board.

I never knew the guy but wasn't it the case under DFC rules that people joining the Board had/have to input a five figure 'loan' to the club ?

If so, and if you impose such conditions, isn't it pretty obvious that anyone departing is going to call time on that 'loan' ?  I'm sure I would.

As for court action to 'kill us', that suggests more about the club's finances and their inability or reluctance to return Les Hope's money than him wanting it refunded.

3 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I never knew the guy but wasn't it the case under DFC rules that people joining the Board had/have to input a five figure 'loan' to the club ?

If so, and if you impose such conditions, isn't it pretty obvious that anyone departing is going to call time on that 'loan' ?  I'm sure I would.

As for court action to 'kill us', that suggests more about the club's finances and their inability or reluctance to return Les Hope's money than him wanting it refunded.

Les Hope approved a loan from himself to the club when he was chairman. Nothing to do with him investing anything for his seat on the board. 

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Les Hope approved a loan from himself to the club when he was chairman. Nothing to do with him investing anything for his seat on the board. 

Cheers, that's a different ballgame then.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Les Hope is currently holding Neil MacKays beer.

I would say the position is still up for grabs. Neil MacKay is doing a terrible job but Les Hope was completely invisible and did nothing of note. I'll properly judge MacKay when his tenure comes to an end but he's a very close second right now.

Ourselves and Bonnyrigg being absolutely hung out to dry on tonight's View From The Terrace over the state of our pitches.  There was a snippet shown of last week's Peterhead game and it looked even more horrendous than it did at the game.  We could be risking reputational damage. 

The pitch issue is really hurting us. It's harming our reputation for sure. An inability to maintain a reasonable pitch is pretty shameful. There are reasons for that, but I do wonder how much we're making from Broomhill and whether or not we could make up any shortfall if we were drawing bigger crowds because the team were playing better? A huge part of that would be better football on a better pitch. Then there's the potential to make up a revenue shortfall through sponsorship. We havent seen the same debacle that we had last season with the repeatedly postponed Stirling game, but the fact that we're barely getting games played isn't really a significant improvement. The Rangers game was probably the game that killed the pitch for the rest of the season and had that been a lesser tie that wasn't on TV then there's no way the game would have gone ahead. Players can't really play much football on it and it has to be a concern that it'll make niggly injuries that bit more troublesome. We desperately need to get Broomhill away from our ground and to find the funds to maintain the pitch properly. We can't have another season of things being reasonable until Christmas and then spending 4-5 months playing on something resembling a WW1 battle field.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Ourselves and Bonnyrigg being absolutely hung out to dry on tonight's View From The Terrace over the state of our pitches.  There was a snippet shown of last week's Peterhead game and it looked even more horrendous than it did at the game.  We could be risking reputational damage. 

Nobody watches that abortion of a programme. I managed about 5 minutes of it before the Johnny Bravo haircut with the fake accent made me vomit blood.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Expect Neil to be issuing a club statement digging out @Francesc Fabregas

5 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Nobody watches that abortion of a programme. I managed about 5 minutes of it before the Johnny Bravo haircut with the fake accent made me vomit blood.

So 'because nobody watches it' we needn't be concerned about the pitch ?

To borrow a BSF line, the pitch is a symptom of how the club is being run. And a really great one at that, because there’s no way to gaslight the fans on it, like they love to do. There’s no hiding from it. It’s objectively a disgrace and people outside the club are picking up on it. If it’s getting highlighted on a view from the terrace and other outlets, I’m delighted. Hopefully Dr Doom gets named and shamed next time, because we know that’s the only thing that provokes a reaction out of him. He thoroughly deserves to be embarrassed for the absolute shitshow he’s presiding over.

Edited by FifeSons

Also, just watch how the promise of the plastic pitch will be swept under the rug and hoped that the fans just forget was ever mentioned. Given it was Paul McPherson who promised it, who’s been fully outed as Hosie’s bitch, we’ll never be seeing that again, folks (much like our good pal Paul Mc, himself!).

Edited by FifeSons

That shit-tip of a pitch, inexplicably narrowed on instruction by our dud manager, is so symbolic of the club’s downward spiral - not properly tended to and being left to rot.

I fully expect next season to be exactly the same. 

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Also, just watch how the promise of the plastic pitch will be swept under the rug and hoped that the fans just forget was ever mentioned. Given it was Paul McPherson who promised it, who’s been fully outed as Hosie’s bitch, we’ll never be seeing that again, folks (much like our good pal Paul Mc, himself!).

It's easy to label your post as cynical, but as the writer Ambrose Bierce once observed, a cynic sees things as they are and not how they should be, and I think you are bang on the money.

There is a strong feeling of drift and decline about this club, and that's primarily because the controlling interest is concerned with speculative housing development and not football.  And the local Board seem unable or unwilling to challenge that.

As regards an artificial pitch, Clydebank are already there, the Vale Juniors are embarked on a sizeable project, and there is flux over East End Park which will have it's own fall-out regarding pitch provision.  And all of these examples are or have been driven by autonomous local input.

DFC can certainly advertise their intentions on a pitch but based on the current evidence whether they can actually deliver it remains a matter of some considerable conjecture.  Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

33 minutes ago, George Parr said:

That shit-tip of a pitch, inexplicably narrowed on instruction by our dud manager, is so symbolic of the club’s downward spiral - not properly tended to and being left to rot.

I fully expect next season to be exactly the same. 

I expect next season could be worse to be honest, if things remain as they are.

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

If it’s getting highlighted on a view from the terrace and other outlets, I’m delighted. 

I'm not a fan of the TV show but listen to most of their podcasts and it gets mentioned a lot on there, which is of course entirely deserved. It's actually an area I do have a degree of sympathy for Farrell as well as presumably you'd want lovely, fast, attacking football and instead you're playing on Flanders fields. That's not absolving him of all blame in regards to team selection and tactics etc but it can't be something he's happy about either. 

It's also not cynical to criticise it or the plans for the plastic pitch as I feel I've made this point on plenty of occasions before, but where is there any shred of evidence that this will be delivered. We've had countless claims of things that are going to happen but won't in the past and there's very little to make me think this would be any different. It was a problem last year and the year before as well and yet here we are.

48 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

I'm not a fan of the TV show but listen to most of their podcasts and it gets mentioned a lot on there, which is of course entirely deserved. It's actually an area I do have a degree of sympathy for Farrell as well as presumably you'd want lovely, fast, attacking football and instead you're playing on Flanders fields. That's not absolving him of all blame in regards to team selection and tactics etc but it can't be something he's happy about either. 

It's also not cynical to criticise it or the plans for the plastic pitch as I feel I've made this point on plenty of occasions before, but where is there any shred of evidence that this will be delivered. We've had countless claims of things that are going to happen but won't in the past and there's very little to make me think this would be any different. It was a problem last year and the year before as well and yet here we are.

Yep, I don’t watch the show, but I think the podcasts are great (especially since one of my posts got a mention. High quality content).

Edited by FifeSons