Sons' sorrow

21 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Agreed. I can’t even remember the last time we had a black and gold(ish) away kit. Far better than two random colours out of a catalogue

I think it might be this one from 2015/16, so almost a decade since we had black and gold in the away kit. Kalvin was first in the door today and my heart sank a wee bit, thinking that was the home kit. I want the white tops to stay as the home colours forever.

4377.jpg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If you don't wish to believe it fine - your call.

I think several of the signings we made dispelled that myth. Are you really suggesting guys like Mark Durnan and Brett Long were on buttons? It's a pretty transparent Faz tactic to claim he was really up against it and overdelivered against the odds. If he wants to paint a narrative of us having the worst budget in the league every season and that everything we achieve is through team spirit, that's fine, but there is no way we had a worse budget than the majority of the teams in L2. We hear the same thing every year and yet the signings we make don't back this line of chat up.

Edited by FifeSons

4 minutes ago, microdave said:

I think it might be this one from 2015/16, so almost a decade since we had black and gold in the away kit. Kalvin was first in the door today and my heart sank a wee bit, thinking that was the home kit. I want the white tops to stay as the home colours forever.

4377.jpg

I have to agree. When is the last time we actually had a decent black and “gold” kit? The last one I actually liked was the Diadora one and that was bright yellow. A white kit with the classic band always blow any black and gold variant out of the water and it has to be one of the most unique kits in Scottish football. In terms of away kits I thought the blue one from the 150th anniversary season was a bumper but over the years we have certainly had a few rotters, including this new one IMHO.

19 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I have to agree. When is the last time we actually had a decent black and “gold” kit? The last one I actually liked was the Diadora one and that was bright yellow. A white kit with the classic band always blow any black and gold variant out of the water and it has to be one of the most unique kits in Scottish football. In terms of away kits I thought the blue one from the 150th anniversary season was a bumper but over the years we have certainly had a few rotters, including this new one IMHO.

Of all the 42 spfl clubs, you have us, Airdrie and Celtic that have unique kits. If you want to go globally, you can take Celtic out of the equation. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This. It should always be the home kit. Last season's variant was quite cool, though I didn't buy that or the away strip. The black and gold horizontal bands are unbeatable.

Some gammony Englishman in a pub once asked me if it was a West Germany kit. I should've said yes in hindsight.

Edited by FifeSons

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

This. It should always be the home kit. Last season's variant was quite cool, though I didn't buy that or the away strip. The black and gold horizontal bands are unbeatable.

Some gammony Englishman in a pub once asked me if it was a West Germany kit. I should've said yes in hindsight.

Indeed, I thought last season’s home top was seriously smart. I tried to buy one a few weeks ago but they didn’t have any medium muscle fits in stock unfortunately.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Indeed, I thought last season’s home top was seriously smart. I tried to buy one a few weeks ago but they didn’t have any medium muscle fits in stock unfortunately.

It's a shame they haven't put it on sale yet, as far as I can see. I bought the anniversary away one when it went to 50% off and I'm a huge fan of it. The pink away is only £20 now. I might buy that for the rotation of DFC gymwear. I've developed a soft spot for it after Ainslie Park, even though it's not a great kit.

Edited by FifeSons

Remember the red and white away one we had a few years ago? It might have been the season we went down to L1. In fact, it might have been the one that caused the infamous wearing of Stenny's old away kit! It felt like we wore that kit at every chance possible for some reason. By the end I started to like it, even though I'm sure it wasn't very nice. The football kit equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome.

Stenhousemuir 2-2 'Stenhousemuir': Dumbarton forced to wear opponents' old away  kit | Daily Mail Online

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, microdave said:

Anyway, bye bye L2 forum. The last time we left here it took us 13 years to return. I really hope it is at least that long again.

I started posting on pie and bovril the last time we slipped into L2 (before this one). What a wild ride it's been supporting Dumbarton since then. Not that there weren't some extremely memorable times before that, too... Never would've imagined back then I'd see us become a 'Stable Championship club'. 

Edited by FifeSons

2 hours ago, microdave said:

Of all the 42 spfl clubs, you have us, Airdrie and Celtic that have unique kits. If you want to go globally, you can take Celtic out of the equation. 

I’m not sure it was unique, at the same time Dundee Utd, Raith, Stirling Albion & a couple other teams had white with 2 bands across the chest. Also noticed Partick Thistle & East Fife dropped the stripes and played in all yellow for a few years. I wonder if it was more to do with manufacturers available at the time and it’s just that ours coincidently happened at a successful time so became a “classic” design?

9 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

Difficult to judge any loan signings as they don’t generally happen to Aug- close to end of transfer window 

Just going on a ‘whisper’ comment to franko and the responds. 

Hopefully rankin chooses other options but I think him and our management get on well. Let’s just wait and see and hope we get a surprise late in the window. 

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I think several of the signings we made dispelled that myth. Are you really suggesting guys like Mark Durnan and Brett Long were on buttons? It's a pretty transparent Faz tactic to claim he was really up against it and overdelivered against the odds. If he wants to paint a narrative of us having the worst budget in the league every season and that everything we achieve is through team spirit, that's fine, but there is no way we had a worse budget than the majority of the teams in L2. We hear the same thing every year and yet the signings we make don't back this line of chat up.

Tbh, I agree. Same time, looking at the figures I believe in last years figures quoted. Was strange seeing us on the chart 10th and signing boys yet not knowing figures. 

Without going into club politics, I think we could all do a bit if we could (gaffer hinted at options). Hopefully we could push a mangers fund or something and try push on as a football club. 

5 hours ago, GoTeamGaz said:

I’m not sure it was unique, at the same time Dundee Utd, Raith, Stirling Albion & a couple other teams had white with 2 bands across the chest. Also noticed Partick Thistle & East Fife dropped the stripes and played in all yellow for a few years. I wonder if it was more to do with manufacturers available at the time and it’s just that ours coincidently happened at a successful time so became a “classic” design?

Fair enough, I wasn't really aware of that so not unique. Although I was talking mainly about my lifetime which began after that. 

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Go back and read my post.  Faz made it clear that in some instances we can 'sell' the club to players who might otherwise have negotiated higher wages elsewhere.  This can be down to personal reasons such as travel or connections within the club.

For example, you name checked Mark Durnan.  I'm pretty sure he and Frank McEwan now have a mutual connection to the Fire Brigade and signing part-time suited the big man.  Secondly, Finlay Gray announced yesterday that he's happiest when playing his best football and that was a factor in re-signing.

But all that aside, and with the greatest respect, you really don't know the club's financial situation.  I've sat in several meetings with the club Board and without going into any details here both they and the team management have a huge struggle on the finances and deserve huge respect for the promotion and early pre-season signings.

I've been very critical of certain aspects of DFC but most of that concerns the ownership situation and it's effects on the team.  But I'm happy to set the record straight on this issue.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Go back and read my post.  Faz made it clear that in some instances we can 'sell' the club to players who might otherwise have negotiated higher wages elsewhere.  This can be down to personal reasons such as travel or connections within the club.

For example, you name checked Mark Durnan.  I'm pretty sure he and Frank McEwan now have a mutual connection to the Fire Brigade and signing part-time suited the big man.  Secondly, Finlay Gray announced yesterday that he's happiest when playing his best football and that was a factor in re-signing.

But all that aside, and with the greatest respect, you really don't know the club's financial situation.  I've sat in several meetings with the club Board and without going into any details here both they and the team management have a huge struggle on the finances and deserve huge respect for the promotion and early pre-season signings.

I've been very critical of certain aspects of DFC but most of that concerns the ownership situation and it's effects on the team.  But I'm happy to set the record straight on this issue.

Just to back up this point; I know for a fact that at least three of our signed players had more lucrative offers financially elsewhere (one of which was considerably better). And that's directly from them. But they said they joined us because either they enjoyed previous seasons, got on well with the management team and bought into what they were selling or had heard good things about the dressing room. 

Travel is probably a good factor too. For guys like Mark Durnan with a young family and a full-time job, the fact that training isn't a trek is probably worth more than whatever he'd been offered elsewhere. We might not be blessed with a sugar daddy, but our geography is very much in our favour. Especially for a part-time club where most of the biggest/best paying are probably Angus/Peterhead.

I think you could see our team spirit last season; and every single player we've signed so far has mentioned that dressing room as a reason they've signed. Which can't be a coincidence.

I don't imagine we had the worst budget in League Two last season. But I also know that we had agreed a deal for a player last summer who then pulled out at the last minute because an offer came in from a club I would classify as smaller than us (and who finished a fair way behind us) that "blew us out of the water."

For most, it's maybe a case of knowing they would fit in and enjoy their football at DFC. So another £40/£50 a week or so to go somewhere they maybe feel a bit less comfortable isn't worth it. The step up to League One is massive too for guys like Finlay and Mikey Ruth. They want to make an impression at that level and kick on; and they know they'll be given gametime and a chance by a management team who trust them, and support who back them with us.